CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call today from my local dealer that they finally got in their first CTX700, this one happened to be the “N” model. So I went in today to take a look. They hadn’t even taken it out of the crate yet…lol So, we wandered around the showroom while their mechanic came off his lunch break to get it out for us.
Let me just say that the pictures and videos are nothing compared to seeing this bike in person. It is a really beautiful bike.

After ohhing and ahhhhing, I finally threw my leg over it and here is my experience. I'm 5'2 and have a 28" inseam by the way. Mind you, I was wearing these boots, which add extra height. And yes, they have them for men too.
https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=70

The first thing I noticed was how light it was. It felt about like a Boulevard 650. Really well balanced and a low center of gravity helps. Once on the seat I was between the ball of my feet and tip toes, which I’m used too so it was fine. Though having a “custom” seat that drops a bit may help other short riders feel more comfortable.

I did, however have no issue reaching the pegs or the brake, which was concern. Though I didn’t have much bend in my knees, much like sitting on most cruisers for me, it wasn’t uncomfortable…at least not sitting in the showroom. But the shifter was an issue. I wasn’t able to get a good angle under it due to my extended leg position (or perhaps a hasty uncrating with no adjustments?). It also meant that I wasn’t able to take it out for a test ride. This would need to be moded right off the bat, moving it up and closer to the peg would probably solve the issue. L However, that wouldn’t be a problem at all with the semi auto/auto model, which is the one I was planning to pick up anyway. J I admit, I’m spoiled by my Burgman and enjoy not having to shift. I do occasionally miss it, but not enough to go back to a manual.

So I’m pleased to say that when the fairing model with semi-auto comes in I’m going to be waiting with my gear in hand and ready for a test ride as they uncrate her. I encourage other shorter riders to take a seat and give it a try.
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
975 Posts
To clross...

Thanks for the "in person" review.

I think it should be noted for all those concerned that the 700Ns are coming in to showrooms now, but that the 700s (the ones with the fairings) are not expected until some time in July. This is according to a Honda bulletin received by dealers.

It's good to know that the bike looks really well. I've noticed that with the other, recently added Honda models as well. They kind of look--well--sort of generic and plasticy in pictures, but once you see them in showrooms, they hold their own against more expensive models in the appearance department; at least in my opinion. I noticed this with the NC700X, the CB500F, and the CL250 (or whatever it's called).

I was wandering about the foot shifter as well and whether its positioning would cause my left foot to cramp trying to shift from up under the shift lever. I've never in my life ridden a traditional motorcycle, but I'm not afraid of manuals in concept; I drive a stick-shift car, and I've sat on a couple of cruisers in anticipation of the CTX700, which seems more natural to me than adventures and sports where my feet would sit behind my knees.

I was thinking though...If one's feet are set too far forward and one's legs are too straight in the seated position, this may cause one's toes to point upward, thereby making it a strain to keep one's toes below the shifter. I guess the shorter the inseam, the more pronounced this would be. I'm only 5'8", but I'm short in the torso, so my inseam is almost 31". Maybe I'll be okay for this. I noticed in one of the videos that the guy's heel was very pronounced downward when he was riding, which means his toes were pointed upward. That's a little concerning. There is one 700N expected to arrive near me in Athens, TN by next weekend, but it's a "D" model, however, I should be able to tell by the way my legs and feet rest how easy it'll be for me to shift.

My commute is very rural, and it's a torquey motorcycle, so I don't expect I'll be spending a lot of time with my foot under the shifter, but of course, I'll have to shift up to speed a few times in my commute each day, so it's still a big factor for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I too had my first "sit and fit" on Thursday. As a 5'0" rider sometimes the fitting part can be a challenge, but not impossible. I have a Buell 500 single and a Vulcan 500 in my stable that don't get much rest. I always said if they built a cross between those two bikes, I would buy it and this I believe is just what I wished for. I put my order/deposit on one Saturday. Now just playing the waiting game. This may be the last bike I buy so I want all in, fairing, bags, heated grips...

Not sure how I feel about the automatic part, as I love having full control and being able to determine my own type of ride by how I accelerate and shift. I have never used a paddle shift, but figure it is a natural progression in my never ending education as a rider.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Even with the DCT you can switch to manual and shift, just not with a clutch lever.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes. I see no disadvantages to the DCT from a rider's standpoint. What turns me off is the extra grand; the extra 22 lbs, and the 3mpg penalty estimated by Honda. According to the NC700X folks, there is also a slight performance penalty but very minor.

For me, it's the price disparity that is the major turn off. If one is offered an $18K new car, but can get an auto for $19K, that's not a huge upcharge from a percentage standpoint, but from $7000 to $8000, now that's a huge leap in price..

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Actually $1000 is about what the upcharge is for any automatic trans. be it 4 wheels or 2.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Actually $1000 is about what the upcharge is for any automatic trans. be it 4 wheels or 2.
I'm don't disagree with that statement. What I'm saying is that from a percentage standpoint, it's a far bigger up charge to go from $7000 to $8000 than it is to go from $20,000 to $21,000. It's something like 14% for the CTX700N versus 5% in the car example. I don't even dispute that it's not a justified increase in price due to the extra engineering, technology and from a cost standpoint. I'm just saying it doesn't make as much sense from a value standpoint than it does for the average, new car purchase from a consumer's standpoint.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If you break it down to gross price point it is a high percentage. However there are other considerations, pros: convienence, and a riders needs/desires, cons: expense and maintenance. Each rider will have to decide what factors they consider most valuable and make their decision on which way to go. There is plenty of room on the road for both manual and auto.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even with the DCT you can switch to manual and shift, just not with a clutch lever.
I bet 'auto' mode works out best for normal riding.
'manual' mode will be just for you to play with.

Someone who wants an auto needs to compare the cost with other autos ... but there aren't any comparable, so it's just 'do I go for it?'.

The actual percentage difference is not the point, you buy what suits you.
If you can't afford it then don't buy it, but it's always best to buy what you want!

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you break it down to gross price point it is a high percentage. However there are other considerations, pros: convienence, and a riders needs/desires, cons: expense and maintenance. Each rider will have to decide what factors they consider most valuable and make their decision on which way to go. There is plenty of room on the road for both manual and auto.
I absolutely agree. I'm just saying that, for me, I'm not going to spend the extra grand. From what I've heard from some industry-smart journalists, the more DCTs Honda sells as a percentage of those models offered, the cheaper they'll be able to sale them. In other words, the cost goes down for Honda, the more they can sell them, which is probably why they are pushing it so hard. If they can get 50% or more of buyers to choose DCT, then they can sell them cheaper than the $1K upcharge they are currently charging. That's probably why they are making it the only way to get ABS.

I personally hope Honda is able to succeed in this strategy, and they are able to get many more folks on bikes by offering easy-to-ride, non-intimidating products with automatic transmissions. I just can't force myself to give the extra grand!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
There are other automatics, Aprilia Mana and the now defuct Ridley's. There are still Ridley bikes out there. Honda is bleedin' cheap compared.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bet 'auto' mode works out best for normal riding.
'manual' mode will be just for you to play with.

Someone who wants an auto needs to compare the cost with other autos ... but there aren't any comparable, so it's just 'do I go for it?'.

The actual percentage difference is not the point, you buy what suits you.
If you can't afford it then don't buy it, but it's always best to buy what you want!
Haha Lazy mode (Auto)

Yeah I would just go with this mode on the ctx700 I mean why not in horrendous city traffic and rush hours it would be a pain to shift every inch.

The manual mode on the DCT would be fun to use during the highway on ramps to up shift and give her.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are other automatics, Aprilia Mana and the now defuct Ridley's. There are still Ridley bikes out there. Honda is bleedin' cheap compared.
This is not a bad thing for Honda they can make it up from sales volume once they attract a big crowd from their price on the CTX700. DCT and ABS for under $10,000.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just got back from my dealership, after sitting on a red CTX700N. First, my stats:

Height: 5' 2.75"
Weight: 135
Inseam (to ground, not bottom of pants leg): 30"

Conclusion? IT FITS PERFECTLY!! I'm able to flat-foot it and reach the shifter and brake pedals, without any issues. The handlebar reach is in a great position for me, too.

Now, they just have to get the same exact bike in, in BLACK!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Now, they just have to get the same exact bike in, in BLACK!
So the one you checked out; was it red and standard shift and standard brakes?

I'm wandering if the rumor will be true. That the DCT/ABS version will be only in black. If the red one you saw was DCT/ABS, then the information was incorrect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So the one you checked out; was it red and standard shift and standard brakes?

I'm wandering if the rumor will be true. That the DCT/ABS version will be only in black. If the red one you saw was DCT/ABS, then the information was incorrect.
It was a red, standard shift model. If you look at the Honda website, for the "N" submodel (CTX700N), it only shows the DCT in black, and the standard shift available in red and black. The touring version (CTX700) shows the standard transmission available in red only, and the DCT in red and white, with white being released later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Colors: I checked the Honda website and the tour model with manual is red with an upcoming release in white. The DCT ABS model was listed as only available in red.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Colors: I checked the Honda website and the tour model with manual is red with an upcoming release in white. The DCT ABS model was listed as only available in red.
Thanks for the correction on the CTX700 colors. I was typing from memory, and since I've been totally focused on the "N" version, I goofed on the fairing version.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my first eyefull of the CTX today. Black and manual. I think it looks great and much more modern than a lot of other cruisers. I am 5 foot 5 and 28 inch inseam. It's a no go for me.

The seat height is great but to get my feet on the pegs I had to stretch my leg out completely. Even if I can rest them on there I can't really reach the brake and the position was very uncomfortable. My arms had to stretch also. Looks like i'll be getting the NC instead and lowering it.

Interestingly enough this bike came in before any of the 500s.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
They finally got a CTX at the local Powerhouse. Fits great. I'm 5'5" with a 30" inseam. Comfortable, light and no problems with the brake pedal. I put my reserve down for the first CTX700D they get. They said that it should ship the first part of July.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts