CTX 700 Forum banner

xeon HID light?

16K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  BearNVa 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the stock headlight bulb? I'd really like to upgrade the stock bulb to a HIDlight.

Reactions: gregsfc
#3 ·
Stock headlight is 12V 60/55 W
Alternator capacity is .45kw/5000rpm

Reactions: gregsfc
#4 ·
Then I should have no problem dropping in a 35w bi-xeon HID kit. Has anyone done this?

#13 · (Edited)
HIDS are actually cooler than halogen bulbs are. Common misconception that they're hotter. Halogen's heat a filament in quartz glass. HID's are a spark between two electrodes in xenon gas. The gas is what's actually creating the light.. not a piece of metal. Also makes HID's much less effected by vibration/ambient temp/etc.

#15 ·
What's the life expectancy of these bulbs versus a filament bulb, and the replacement cost?

#16 ·
I've been running HID's in all my vehicles (3 of them) since 2003 and I've never had to replace a bulb yet. I'm sure I'm just one point in the metric, but I've got them running in a 2002 acura rsx type-s, a 2007 honda element, and now my ctx 700. All 100% reliable. Never had one issue yet. Some of that could be that I've always purchased high quality components (ballasts).... but I'm of the opinion that HID's are the long term solution to lighting. My acura has had them for over a decade with no issues... heck, I've wanted them to fail so I could upgrade the components, but they simply won't die.

#20 ·
I can do daytime pics... hope these help. It's a VAST difference between stock headlight and the HIDlight. Literally, you can see EVERYTHING with HID.

#21 ·
one last pic with my bike lighting up the back half of my garage...

#22 ·
no replies? christ, I was banging around my neighborhood at 2am to get these pictures. :)

#23 ·
Sorry. the pics are awesome and the light looks really bright. Posting in the early AM is kinda a dead zone for most because the site automatically kicks it back and marks it as being posted as yesterday when you click for new posts. I think most people just viewed the last pic and went on not realizing there were many more. That's what I did.

#31 ·
Glad there is some interest out there. Not only does the HID get you seen, it makes SO much difference at night where you need all the warning you can get about incoming garbage in the road. Some people swear by modulators, but I personally think a BRIGHT headlight in the day makes more of a difference. Install takes less than 30 minutes.

Reactions: Roadog1951!
#35 ·
So far there have only been a few who have added HID kits and none have mentioned any issues that I'm aware of. I would avoid the Chinese Ebay kits and stick to a quality plug and play kit in the 35watt range.

I'm not a big fan of them. They are great when it comes to being seen but I find the light not conducive to seeing things well especially in the distance. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.