CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the stock headlight bulb? I'd really like to upgrade the stock bulb to a HIDlight.

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Stock headlight is 12V 60/55 W
Alternator capacity is .45kw/5000rpm

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then I should have no problem dropping in a 35w bi-xeon HID kit. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes i have a 55W 10000K kit and it works fine. The 10000 is blue but you could try a 5 - 8 K for a whiter light. Bought iy from ALI EXPRESS,where it says "I am looking for" just type in HID motor cycle kit. around $25

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes i have a 55W 10000K kit and it works fine. The 10000 is blue but you could try a 5 - 8 K for a whiter light. Bought iy from ALI EXPRESS,where it says "I am looking for" just type in HID motor cycle kit. around $25
Considering doing this, any advice or tips on wiring it in?
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering doing this, any advice or tips on wiring it in?
Thanks
Dan
Get a 4300k kit. Looks great. Once you take the headlight assembly out, you can tuck all of the HID components behind the assembly when you put it back in. Literally plug and play.

I paid 71$ shipped for this one:
H4 HID Bi-Xenon HID Motorcycle Kit (Single Bulb and Ballast HID Low Beam and High Beam) Part # HIDH4BIMoto
Make sure you get the SLIM balast. I highly doubt the other one would fit. Well worth the extra 12.50.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Get a 4300k kit. Looks great. Once you take the headlight assembly out, you can tuck all of the HID components behind the assembly when you put it back in. Literally plug and play.

I paid 71$ shipped for this one:
H4 HID Bi-Xenon HID Motorcycle Kit (Single Bulb and Ballast HID Low Beam and High Beam) Part # HIDH4BIMoto
Make sure you get the SLIM balast. I highly doubt the other one would fit. Well worth the extra 12.50.
Do you have to run power to the battery or is this all done through existing plugs? Can you post a pic of the lighting during daylight? Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you dont want to have the hassles of battery connection order a "plug and play" harness and just plug your h/ligth plug in and away you go

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have to run power to the battery or is this all done through existing plugs? Can you post a pic of the lighting during daylight? Thanks!
It's plug and play. Uses existing connections. High/low beam works perfect as well. I will get some pictures for you this weekend and post them up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Don't you have to be concerned about the heat output from some of these high intensity bulbs?

Jack
HIDS are actually cooler than halogen bulbs are. Common misconception that they're hotter. Halogen's heat a filament in quartz glass. HID's are a spark between two electrodes in xenon gas. The gas is what's actually creating the light.. not a piece of metal. Also makes HID's much less effected by vibration/ambient temp/etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
HIDS are actually cooler than halogen bulbs are. Common misconception that they're hotter. Halogen's heat a filament in quartz glass. HID's are a spark between two electrodes in xenon gas. The gas is what's actually creating the light.. not a piece of metal. Also makes HID's much less effected by vibration/ambient temp/etc.
Thanks! I learned something new! :)

Jack

·
Registered
433 Posts
What's the life expectancy of these bulbs versus a filament bulb, and the replacement cost?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the life expectancy of these bulbs versus a filament bulb, and the replacement cost?
I've been running HID's in all my vehicles (3 of them) since 2003 and I've never had to replace a bulb yet. I'm sure I'm just one point in the metric, but I've got them running in a 2002 acura rsx type-s, a 2007 honda element, and now my ctx 700. All 100% reliable. Never had one issue yet. Some of that could be that I've always purchased high quality components (ballasts).... but I'm of the opinion that HID's are the long term solution to lighting. My acura has had them for over a decade with no issues... heck, I've wanted them to fail so I could upgrade the components, but they simply won't die.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
two images

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Reactions: Effem Tee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can do daytime pics... hope these help. It's a VAST difference between stock headlight and the HIDlight. Literally, you can see EVERYTHING with HID.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts