CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh, I'm probably going on 3 years now looking for the quiet OEM Muffler that's not all banged up but won't break the bank. I seem to keep missing the opportunities when I take a look again. There one for $400 on eBay right now.... Definitely can't afford that.

Bought the CTX700 when I didn't know what I was doing, and the Radiant Shorty it had on it is driving me insane. I don't understand how that happened because the damn shop sold it to me "NEW" with under 1k miles on it.

Anyway... I'm probably being picky. But any suggestions would be great too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not sure if this is quieter than your radiant shorty see discussion starter #1 with the attached YouTube videos to hear the sound at the top of the thread. I like the OEM muffler. I don’t care what it looks like because I can’t see it from where I sit. It has a nice growl to it on acceleration but when you get to interstate speed the sound disappears. I think Honda designed it this way. You may have had an argument soon after you bought the bike from a dealer that they sold you a bike without a muffler or noise suppressing system. I think the radiant is just an empty tube.
Emgo Dunstall Replica Wide Mouth Muffler
Kansas Statutes § 8-1739 Mufflers and noise suppressing systems. I think Missouri law is essentially the same.
(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle at all times shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device.
(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if this is quieter than your radiant shorty see discussion starter #1 with the attached YouTube videos to hear the sound at the top of the thread. I like the OEM muffler. I don’t care what it looks like because I can’t see it from where I sit. It has a nice growl to it on acceleration but when you get to interstate speed the sound disappears. I think Honda designed it this way. You may have had an argument soon after you bought the bike from a dealer that they sold you a bike without a muffler or noise suppressing system. I think the radiant is just an empty tube.
Kansas Statutes § 8-1739 Mufflers and noise suppressing systems. I think Missouri law is essentially the same.
(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle at all times shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device.
(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
Yeah, at the dealer it seemed fine to me as a newbie. I had no idea it was modified and that it wasn't the default sound. It even passed a KS inspection! They didn't say anything about the noise! But it didn't start getting to me until maybe a year later, especially living in a real quiet neighborhood and I sometimes leave my home at 5am for work. That's when I did research on the muffler itself and realized the truth. Too late now. Not to mention I low balled them so I'm sure I wouldn't have had wiggle room anyway.

I've debated the emgo (and a voodoo I saw on a thread), but its so hard to tell what it'll sound like once I get one on in person.... Plus they're ugly, despite not seeing it when I ride, lol. I cry a bit inside every time I see a thread of someone trashing their OEM. Because yes the Radiant Shorty is just a tiny tube. They sell baffles now for it, but only reduces noise by like 2dB.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your deal with Shteve doesn't go through, I have a complete 2014 CTX muffler, I'll sell. Like new, no rust, with heat shield.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If anyone else needs one, mine is off of a 2015 and is in mint condition. $150 plus shipping and it's yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone else needs one, mine is off of a 2015 and is in mint condition. $150 plus shipping and it's yours.
Yes, I want it. Do you have an estimate of the shipping cost? I know the muffler is HEAVY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts