CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...got a problem. Every once in awhile, I will start my 2016 CTX dual transmission model, get on and then it won't shift automatically into gear. Just stays running in neutral. I suspect there's a problem with the kickstand down switch, because after I put the kickstand down, which kills the motor, and get off, then restart the motor and then click it into gear while just standing beside it, it will clunk into gear just fine. Then I can get on and leave.

Anybody else has any problems with their automatic tranny not engaging?

Larry in Ohio

·
Registered
801 Posts
How do you normally power down? The DCT has a sequence you should always follow: Shift to neutral, parking break, key to off position, then the cut off switch. Failure to do this has caused many to have issues at some point.

Also, when you turn on the bike but before starting it, do you hear the transmission cycling into neutral? Do you wait for it to fully cycle before attempting ignition?

How old is the battery? The DCT can be a little sensitive to low battery levels...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi folks...got a problem. Every once in awhile, I will start my 2016 CTX dual transmission model, get on and then it won't shift automatically into gear. Just stays running in neutral. I suspect there's a problem with the kickstand down switch, because after I put the kickstand down, which kills the motor, and get off, then restart the motor and then click it into gear while just standing beside it, it will clunk into gear just fine. Then I can get on and leave.

Larry in Ohio

Larry in Ohio
Thanks, I'll be more diligent about the shut down sequence to see if that works. The battery seems good. But truth be known, I haven't figured out yet how the seat comes off so I can check it with a volt meter yet. I found the key-release and turned it, but the seat stays attached. Is there a second release point?

·
Registered
866 Posts
After you turn the key, hold it and reach across to the other side of the seat with your free hand and while holding the key in unlock mode wiggle the seat a bit while pulling back slightly. When you replace the seat take a look and make sure the 2 hooks are aligned with the anchor points. If the seat hasn't been off before I would put a dab of oil on the locking mechanism and put a little oil on the key and work it into the lock.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The DCT is equipped with safety switches that will not allow the motor to run when the bike is in gear with the side stand down. To diagnose the problem you would have to document the specific scenarios incrementally from start to finish to determine if there is a problem. I am just guessing but I think you start the bike in neutral with the side stand down but while the side stand is down you try to shift to D but it wont go. That’s because the computer sees the side stand is down and prohibits shifting into gear while the side stand is down.
seat latch.jpg Push down on the back of the seat when turning the key and then pullback and lift the seat off. There are rubber bumpers that hold the seat above the frame and create tension on the latch mech. By pushing down on the seat 2 inches in from the back you reduce the tension and allow the latch to release the seat. Turn key, push down hard 2 inches from the rear and pull up and back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts