CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be picking up wife's CTX700D this week.
The dealer is installing the tall windshield.
She is 5'5". I am curious about the wind protection.
I put a Windbender on my Goldwing and love it.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will be picking up wife's CTX700D this week.
The dealer is installing the tall windshield.
She is 5'5". I am curious about the wind protection.
I put a Windbender on my Goldwing and love it.
Thanks
Tom
I put the tall on for my Wife who is 5'4" and she said it is much better. Although she hasn't been over like 55mph yet:eek:. I'm 5'11" and noticed a little more buffeting around upper helmet area but being that they are shorter it should be fine. I ride a Ninja 1000 so I'm used to a lot of wind though...

·
Registered
84 Posts
My experience with the taller shield for the CTX has been bad. But I think anyone under five and a half feet tall should be OK with it.

I had a Windbender on my GL1800. It was way better than the stock shield. It only took me a couple of hundred miles to get it adjusted to the best height for each piece.

It would be tough to set up something like that on this bike because the screen mounting area is so narrow and the bottom piece would not be adjustable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 6 feet, when I ride my head is above but it's not terrible. I just can't keep my top vent open above 60 or so. The screen needs an up-flip so it gets over the rider better.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I put the tall on for my Wife who is 5'4" and she said it is much better. Although she hasn't been over like 55mph yet:eek:. I'm 5'11" and noticed a little more buffeting around upper helmet area but being that they are shorter it should be fine. I ride a Ninja 1000 so I'm used to a lot of wind though...

Yes, I bet you spend most of your time above 55mph too....lol That's got to be a fun ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am 5'7" and the height of the tall windshield is great for me. You are supposed to be looking over it and not through it. It provides a still air pocket so I don't feel wind pushing on me at highway speeds. There is a little buffeting around the helmet but for me it's coming from the sides. The windshield could have been designed an inch or two wider but it's as good as any other I have had.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm 5'10" and the tall windscreen makes the wind sound and feel like a helicopter is about to land on my helmet. I had my face shield cracked open to the first notch and the face shield just shook back and forth. If I lean forward closer to the windscreen and lower, it stops. Sure hope someone else comes out with a better screen for those of us that are taller.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Check with Madstad for a tall, after-market screen that will be designed to actually do what a wind screen is supposed to do. Last time I conversed with them via email a couple of weeks ago they had found someone who was sending them a shorty screen from their CTX700 (fairing model), and they were going to use it to develop a screen that will actually work. I'm sure its not yet engineered, but from what one of their salespeople told me, they plan on engineering one like they have for the N (naked) model.

I've not found a single person on the NC700X forum that bought a Madstad and was disappointed in its performance, and based on the posts from that site, those owners have had a lot of distress over the OEM tall screen as well as other after market screens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had bad luck with the shorter windshield, seems to cause turbulance and jiggles my head around too much. Anyone just remove the short windshield and go without? That is what I am going to try. I also ride a 2013 Honda CB1100 and I found that it was much more relaxing without any windshield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At 5' 3" Tall Windshield does not work very well

Still lots of buffeting, noise in helmet.
Clearly not wide enough.

AND reduced miles per fill-up by 25; causing much more stopping for fill-ups.

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Windshield add-on

I have never used one of these but this looks like it could help with the buffeting a bit. It is like a mini mad stat bolt on and will attach to the top of most windshields. it will redirect wind and make the windshield a little taller. I curious if any can share their experience with something like this:
MRA X-Creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (Bolt-On). I saw this on the Twistedthrottle.com website

http://static.twisted-throttle.net/...a14ec004b76332fd2427e3099/x/c/xcs_0_d_web.jpg

They also have one that is wider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm also interested. Has anyone tried this?

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
I'm also interested. Has anyone tried this?

The most common "visor" is from MRA who also make windshields. many come with the visor as a part of it. I believe Twisted Throttle sells MRA and there are also some on Ebay. I got mine from
MRA - MotorcycleWindshield.com
They have good prices too. I recommend that you use the bolt on mount rather than the clip on. it seems to give a better range of movement. Only 4 holes and a template comes with.
I have no buffeting behind my windshield but I got a narrow one so I get a lot of wind on my arms.
These work well. Wunderlich also makes an add-on that does much the same thing. Wind Deflector All Items For This Bike | BMW Wunderlich America

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the information :laugh:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am in the process of putting a small shield on to see what it does. When I removed my small Honda shield I cut and shaped a small deflector. Got the measurments off the web. Just have to pick up some hardware to attach. Found a supplier that has the hardware for the X-Creen shield. Going to take a look at it tomorrow. The price for the hardware is only about $35 so maybe will try it. If not will fab something. Whenever I get it done and tested will report. Could be a few days as I am going to be tied up the rest of the week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used the twisted throttle wind deflector on three or four different bikes. love love love 'me

I prefer the clamp on type rather than the drill holes in the shield. That way I can remove the deflector when selling the bike. I know, when we first get the bike the love affair feeling is like I will never part with this bike. But over time the honeymoon ends and you are looking longingly at a new lover. Hehehehe

Anyway I digress, I highly recommend these.

I just bought my CTX yesterday. I have a whopping 200 miles so far ... 😎
I will put some real miles on soon enough. So far I really like it ...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Finally got my xcreen replica made and installed. I was able to buy the 2 clamps that hold the assembly to my windshield. I then played around and fabricated some brackets that articulate in 2 places. I have driven over 500 miles with it on and is tight with no shaking or loosening. I can ride any speed at keast up to 80 mph with out any wind or buffeting. I have set it about 1 inch above my Puig windshield and 4 and one half inches out in front. I can ride with my faceshield up all the time. It does not seem to put any pressure on the windshield. It seems to cause a vacum behind it and shoves the wind over my helmut. Works great. My cost was under $40.

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
@TIP
sounds great-we need pics and a source for the parts you used

1 - 20 of 41 Posts