CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two after market windscreens for the CTX700 (fairing model) are now available. Please reserve this discussion for fairing model information only. I hope that fairing model owners can use this thread to communicate feedback on these two screens; other brands to follow; and comparing any and all after-market screens to the OEM screen.

1. Cee Bailey Cee Baileys | Honda CTX 700 2013-Up Windshield

Three sizes; three colors (clear, light gray, and dark gray); choice of vented or non vented. Delivered prices are from $172 to $287; depending on size, tint choice, and venting choice.

2. Madstad Home - Madstad Engineering
Phone: 352-608-4069
Email: [email protected]

At the time of this post, the CTX700 (fairing model) screen is not shown on the website but will be available next week for shipping, so one can inquire by calling or emailing the above contact. According to Madstad, the screen will be offered in all colors and multiple sizes and prices will range from $279 to $300. In the near future, I assume that there will be direct ordering via their website just like with their other screens. All colors include: clear, light gray, bronze, medium gray, and dark gray according to their website. If the pictures reveal reality, it looks like the bronze screen is about the same darkness as the medium gray.

Click on the following post from Madstad for pictures and more information; page 4 of the thread.

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ct...n-forum/3657-another-windshield-option-4.html

I thought that it was important to pull out information from another thread and emphasis to fairing model owners that there are now two, after-market-specific windshield options for the CTX700, fairing models. The previous thread, which contained this breaking news, contained alot of convoluted questions and input from CTX700N owners about CTX700N choices, which makes it easy to miss this important information related to the fairing models.

It's important to note that, with respect to the CTX700 (fairing model), these are the first after market, model-specific choices, that they've both become available only in the last couple of weeks, and they both come from well-respected MC windshield companies; both manufacturers are known for designing effective windscreens beyond OEM screens.

There have been complaints from some about the effectiveness and the head buffeting of the OEM Honda tall screen, so this is something that many of us have been waiting on whether we have the Honda tall screen already or just the short, stock screen and waiting to see what us becomes available before choosing the Honda screen.

In my case, I'm 5'8", 30.5" inseam with a fairly short torso for a male of my height. On the highway, the air hits me square in the neck and the tops of my shoulders. Other than that, the air is deflected quite adequately, yet provides enough air for cooling in the hot summer months. The main issue for me, with the air hitting my neck is that it creates a lot of wind noise as the air swirls and pushes up at the bottom of my helmet, and if it is raining, water is sort of sprayed up on my neck, which happens to be the only exposed part of my body.

Personally, I've still not fully decided, but I'm leaning towards the Madstad, since it has been tested by a real rider/owner, and it looks like (even though it doesn't give full-body coverage like the Cee Bailey) it should take care of the area of my concern without significantly reducing mpg or being a very large, overwhelming screen.

It looks like that both screens have been well though out and address some of the issues with the OEM screen.

·
Banned
463 Posts
My Cee Bailey was shipped and is enroute to AZ from CA.
The initial expected delivery is Tue. 22 Oct.
Usually UPS doesn't deliver here until late afternoon.
I'll probably have all the panels and windshield off, just waiting, and have the new one on shortly.
After 200 miles with the Honda tall screen I'll be able to evaluate the effectiveness of the Cee Bailey in a very short time.
Pictures and results will follow.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I noticed that "TenneseeSmith (who lives in KY) said his Cee Bailey was shipped the day before I got my notice.
Looking forward to his evaluation. Probably the day before mine.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Great idea on the FAIRING model thread, it was getting a little too confusing keeping up with the different threads. Maybe someone could start the N model thread also. I think TenneseeSmith and Vulcan may get theirs the same day, mine is due to arrive the 23rd, I got the vented small in light gray for my wife.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any word yet if Clearview or Givi plan on offering a shield for any of the CTX's? Also, is the Madstad shield adjustable? It looks like it is in the photo, but no mention of it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any word yet if Clearview or Givi plan on offering a shield for any of the CTX's? Also, is the Madstad shield adjustable? It looks like it is in the photo, but no mention of it.
According to the general information on Madstad's site, all their windshield designs are adjustable. Unlike other windshield designers, they do not fix their windshields on the fairings. They use a bracket system that they design, and they use a support bracket that doubles as a wind blocker up through the fork area. Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on Madstad or any brand of windshield but looking at the pictures and reading from their site, it looks like that all the ones I see are adjustable.

Here is Madstad's wording about their screens from their home page:

Home - Madstad Engineering

Motorcycling is a lot like life:
What's the point if you don't enjoy the ride?

Want a dramatic improvement in your ride comfort? This is it, the world's first fully adjustable windshield system, and it really works.

Transform your ride, once and for all.

Now you can have the incredible riding comfort you've been looking for with a MadStad adjustable windshield system.
Fixed shields simply can't compare.

MadStad adjustable shields have been installed on thousands of motorcycles worldwide on more than 70 different makes and models with the same amazing results.

...Why should you have to adapt to your windshield when your windshield can adapt to you? Fixed shields simply can't compare to our adjustable system which adapts to everyone regardless of height or riding position. It eliminates turbulence by eliminating the vacuum behind the shield. You get smooth airflow that you can adjust precisely for your particular height and riding position. There is no other system like ours, and thousands of MadStad bikers worldwide are now enjoying a much smoother, more comfortable ride...

...Our RoboBrackets wind management system can work on almost any motorcycle. We have complete drop-in systems ready-made for many current motorcycle makes and models, but RoboBrackets are also adaptable to older bikes as well. If you aren't sure about your bike, call or send us an email.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be interesting to read what Vulcan has to say, because he or she has used the OEM tall screen and can give us a good comparison to the Cee Bailey. Especially important to those who have the Honda screen and are considering another screen, or those like myself, who are still trying to decide our our first tall screen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Cee Bailey screen is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, the 23rd. It's ground shipping and Kentucky is a long way from California. :)

I'll be working 16 hour days on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. So I won't get this installed until Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I will install Wednesday and give a few photos and a quick opinion. My wife mainly rides and actually has no problem with the Honda shield, I just like the features and looks of the CB.

·
Banned
463 Posts
My Cee Bailey is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, but I noticed that it had arrived in Phoenix Sat.
Hopefully they'll get it outloaded on Mon. and deliver on Mon afternoon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I contacted them and they emailed back stating that they do not have plans in making a shield for either model of CTX. They did forward my request to the research and development dept.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's a shame that Honda couldn't have incorporated the adjustable style windscreen that they used on their other mini-touring machine, the NT700V. At least that one was adjustable by hand on the fly with many different positions available up and down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cee Bailey windshield just showed up. Looks freakin' beautiful.

The 22" shield is going to be about 3" past the top of the Honda tall. If i decide to order her a tinted one it will dang sure be the 21".

This thing looks like it's going to do the job.

Now all I have to do is fix the wife's crash damage to test the windshield.

Maybe this weekend...

·
Banned
463 Posts
I'm just waiting for mine.
The UPS website tracking still says delivery Tues., but it's been sitting in the Phoenix Center since Saturday afternoon.
And my wife says I have no patience!!!

·
Banned
463 Posts
I got it! I was ready.
I had the tall windshield off and ready to go.
Had the Cee Bailey on within a half hour of having UPS drop it off.
Took it out for a 50 mile ride.

Awesome! Like a different bike.
I was comfortable riding with the face shield open till about 65 mph.
Took it up to about 85 with no problem....and no ticket.
Opening the vent did not really change any noise or cause any kind of buffetting but did allow some wind on the body. I hate to say it but it was about 85 degrees today. You WI riders just ignore that. My wife is currently in WI and is freezing. She'll be back tomorrow and is looking forward to that.
The Honda tall shield makes the ride tiring quickly. The Cee Bailey seems like you could ride for hours without any problem.

I use an Arai full face helmet. It is pretty quiet. I didn't try the new shield with my Nolan 103, which my wife and I use when riding together. I'll try that the next time I ride.

The additional width of the Cee Bailey seems like it would cover the hands pretty well. Guess I'll have to wait a month or more to determine that.
I did get the 22" height. I am 5'10'' with a 33 inch inseam. The 22" is perfect.
It is what Cee Bailey recommends for 5'9" to 5'11".
Now if I get the pics to load......

Attachments

Reactions: Easy Wheelin

·
Banned
463 Posts
Okay,
Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have put in pictures before as attachments and they were easy to open and see. For some reason now the attachments are showing up as little pictures and you can't make them bigger.
Help!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Okay,
Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have put in pictures before as attachments and they were easy to open and see. For some reason now the attachments are showing up as little pictures and you can't make them bigger.
Help!

you should resize pictures to be around 100-130k in size. I use paint to resize them and save them. they upload fairly well.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts