CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...I'm now on my third windscreen try (stock, Honda and Puig) on my DCT model. And I still get a "vibration" or "turbulance" that bothers me at anything over 50. Road signs and distance viewing is blurred. I bought this bike specifically for touring (got bags, trunk, etc.) but I just don't like it now. It seems quiet all around my chest and helmet, but still I get that buzz that bothers my vision. It's not a motor vibration because I can take my hands off the bars and it's still there. Where's it coming from? And/or what's the best windscreen to try next? I really don't want a clip on thing that I'd have to look through. Has anybody had this experience with the CTX DCT, or it just me?
Thanks, Larry in Ohio

·
Registered
259 Posts
The stock short shield is the best.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It sounds like you have the fairing built onto your bike. It doesn't matter which model you have helmet turbulence can be caused the air coming from below. One of the most popular windscreens for the forum members with the fairing has been the Cee Bailey, they offered one with a vent that really helped with the negative pressures on the backside of motorcycle windscreens, sorry, this is no longer available.
You may consider trying a different helmet (I hope you would be able to borrow one rather than buy it), something else that could help is lower deflectors which could be researched on other threads here and last but not least, some people have had some success with handguards. You may study motorcycle wind turbulence online to see what other sites are saying to form your own ideas about what you could try. I have experienced the turbulence on our "N" version and have gotten to a happy point but I may try more in the future. I hope you get some relief soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks...I'm now on my third windscreen try (stock, Honda and Puig) on my DCT model. And I still get a "vibration" or "turbulance" that bothers me at anything over 50. Road signs and distance viewing is blurred. I bought this bike specifically for touring (got bags, trunk, etc.) but I just don't like it now. It seems quiet all around my chest and helmet, but still I get that buzz that bothers my vision. It's not a motor vibration because I can take my hands off the bars and it's still there. Where's it coming from? And/or what's the best windscreen to try next? I really don't want a clip on thing that I'd have to look through. Has anybody had this experience with the CTX DCT, or it just me?
Thanks, Larry in Ohio
I have a CTX700N , wind noise and buffeting on the helmet with windscreen was really bad, tried all sorts of positions. Handlebar supports for screen were strecthed out which did not help. Tried a short style sold by JP cycles, designed in Germany which really looked good and came with brackets that mount on the handlebar clamp mounts. Not good, head felt like it was in a base drum over 55. Looking at returm policy, basically saying no refunds if screen has been used. !!!
I have given up on a screen, wear a helmet , and ear plugs for the long highway rides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had bad buffeting too and I got my naked primarily for commuting. I purchased a madstad tall screen that came with a pice of windscreen that attaches to the handle bar yoke to prevent the upward air flow. This has solved 95% of the problem and made the bike much more comfortable to commute on. The cost of the madstad windscreens are on the high end, but I feel like you get what you pay for and I was extremely satisfied in the quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a love,hate relationship with my bike. It is the best bike I have ridden on the back roads and the worst bike ever on the highway. Different windshields created different problems. I am pretty disappointed with this bike. I thought it would have been better. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a love,hate relationship with my bike. It is the best bike I have ridden on the back roads and the worst bike ever on the highway. Different windshields created different problems. I am pretty disappointed with this bike. I thought it would have been better. Lesson learned.

Yes, I can relate to your disappointment. I bought this bike to be my "four-lane" bike because I have several other bikes that go up to 50 just fine and do the back roads better than this one. I'm short so I lowered the rear and installed Kuryaken floor boards. The bike just fits me perfectly in the garage and up to 50 mph. Then the drumming hits me. I always wear earplugs, I've tried all my helmets and shields, bought two windshields and I still hate it when the horizon gets fuzzy and I can't read the road signs. I've had my Puig cut down two inches already and I'm going to cut it down two more just to see if that helps. Does anybody out there have a Honda short screen? Mine came with a tall Honda screen, and it was terrible. Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I can relate to your disappointment. I bought this bike to be my "four-lane" bike because I have several other bikes that go up to 50 just fine and do the back roads better than this one. I'm short so I lowered the rear and installed Kuryaken floor boards. The bike just fits me perfectly in the garage and up to 50 mph. Then the drumming hits me. I always wear earplugs, I've tried all my helmets and shields, bought two windshields and I still hate it when the horizon gets fuzzy and I can't read the road signs. I've had my Puig cut down two inches already and I'm going to cut it down two more just to see if that helps. Does anybody out there have a Honda short screen? Mine came with a tall Honda screen, and it was terrible. Thanks for your input...
I ride without a screen, ok it's summer now, doing 70 to 80 on highways is windy but not as bad with the screen. Have thought about selling bike, and getting another, but l do like it. !!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ended up bolting a polycobonite extension onto my Puig and it works good, but it's still too narrow to block a side wind. I'm going to redo it and make it wider and change the design.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried the tall Madstad but wasn't happy with it. I'm 6'0" tall and felt I had too much wind over the top, even in the highest position. My bike is the N naked model, so no lower fairings. I solve the problem, however. I bought a National Cycle Plexifairing and adapted it to the CTX. They don't sell one specifically for the CTX. I adapted the Madstad hardware. It's not a slam dunk adaptation and I had to make a few parts, but not hard. National Cycle Plexifairings are pretty common and you might be able to pick one up on Craigslist for cheap. After I bought mine, I saw one locally for $75 or so. I also modeled the airflow after the windshield on my 2007 BMW K1200GT, which works real well. There is an inner short windscreen that directs air up the back side of the bigger Plexifairing, which eliminates the vacuum (and buffeting) from the bigger fairing. The lowers attach to the top of the triple tree. Here's a picture.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX 700 DTS ABS
22 Posts
I have a short screen in mint condition and would be happy to sell it for $30 plus actual shipping cost.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT ABS
17 Posts
I have the faired model that came with the Honda tall and had the very same problems. Switched to the Puig Touring which gave some improvement, but not enough.

Took a chance on one of the windscreen extensions from Amazon and that did the trick. I'm 5' 8" and had to experiment with placement and angle, but found a good combination that has eliminated almost all of the buffeting. I have it set just below my sightline, which means sometimes I'm looking through it, but I got used to that pretty quickly. Once tightened in place It's been rock-solid. I went on a 2500 mile trip with it and it made all the difference.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCYYXQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the faired model that came with the Honda tall and had the very same problems. Switched to the Puig Touring which gave some improvement, but not enough.

Took a chance on one of the windscreen extensions from Amazon and that did the trick. I'm 5' 8" and had to experiment with placement and angle, but found a good combination that has eliminated almost all of the buffeting. I have it set just below my sightline, which means sometimes I'm looking through it, but I got used to that pretty quickly. Once tightened in place It's been rock-solid. I went on a 2500 mile trip with it and it made all the difference.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCYYXQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also used a smaller version on both my CTX and NC and it helped immensely. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FJV4CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks, Larry in Ohio
I have the Givi wind screen that is made specifically for the Honda 700 DCT and I love it. Sweeps the wind right over my helmet and no vibration.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
29 Posts
Thanks, Larry in Ohio
I had a Madstad windshield installed when I bought my new 2014 CTX DCT. I've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Larry in Ohio
Hi Larry! I'm in Ohio also! I have a 2015 CTX DCT (full faring) and I did not like the stock windshield, either. I am 5"9" on a good day and I purchased/installed the MadStad 18" with the little sides that mount just to the left and right of the lower windshield. I adjusted the windshield all the way up as high as it could go, then angled it back towards me as much as it would allow. I could not have a better ride now - no buffeting, whatsoever, considering my height, at up to 80+ mph now. I originally order the MadStad 22" but it turned out to way too tall - they cheerfully handled the refund and replacement.
YMMV .. FantoM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Larry! I'm in Ohio also! I have a 2015 CTX DCT (full faring) and I did not like the stock windshield, either. I am 5"9" on a good day and I purchased/installed the MadStad 18" with the little sides that mount just to the left and right of the lower windshield. I adjusted the windshield all the way up as high as it could go, then angled it back towards me as much as it would allow. I could not have a better ride now - no buffeting, whatsoever, considering my height, at up to 80+ mph now. I originally order the MadStad 22" but it turned out to way too tall - they cheerfully handled the refund and replacement.
YMMV .. FantoM
Here's the MadStad windshield for 700 CTXD:
CTX700D, ctx 700d, ctx 700 with fairing – MadStad Engineering

1 - 20 of 30 Posts