CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally love the stark lines of the "naked" body but I absolutely need some type of windscreen. Does anyone know if there is or if they anticipate there to be a windscreen for the "naked" model? Does anybody have any ideas as to how a generic screen could be mounted on the bike?

Thanks for all suggestions

·
Registered
975 Posts
Probably still a little early to expect them, but I would suspect that Givi engineering is already working on one. maybe try giving Givi USA a call.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The NC700X has a totally different headlight area hardware and a small windshield. The CTX naked model has recessed bolts and the handlebars. Fabricating a generic windshield would take some creativity replacing screws with studs to get a mounting footing.

I think that is why Honda offered two basic designs. It looks like the gas tank side panels, headlight/cowl and maybe instrument support is all that is different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
in the UK there are lots of screens for naked bikes, here's one I have as an example, works very well, two mounting points on the bars.

you can get larger cruiser style screens, some with 4 mounting points (2x bars and 2x forks)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
many generic windshields out there for naked bikes. Mounting on the ctx700 is not as easily done as on the nc700x but I found a way. See How to mount F15

Reactions: AnE

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Madsad is in the process of developing one.

Check it out here.

The Madsad group has several posts on this forum and are finishing up their prototype for market.

It has already been ordered by one member on the forum but Madsad messed up the order so no one actually has one on their bike yet but they are getting closer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a MRA Customshield (Style "CU") Windshield For Naked Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Enduro, And Dual Sport Motorcycles from Twisted Throttle and it works great. Mounts with Mounting Kit For MRA Naked Bike Windscreens (Universal For 1-Inch Or 7/8-Inch Diameter Bar). I have the large screen and it would deflect some going over bumps so i purchased and additional mounting kit and drilled holes in the screen below the first mounting hardware and attached it to the handlebars just below the clamps from the first mounting hardware. Had to file out the second set of clamps due to the handlebars changing size a bit on the lower section. It looks like it came with the bike and works great. Don't have any pics yet. The mounting kits do not come with the screen and the whole package was @$200.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I purchased a MRA Customshield (Style "CU") Windshield For Naked Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Enduro, And Dual Sport Motorcycles from Twisted Throttle and it works great. Mounts with Mounting Kit For MRA Naked Bike Windscreens (Universal For 1-Inch Or 7/8-Inch Diameter Bar). I have the large screen and it would deflect some going over bumps so i purchased and additional mounting kit and drilled holes in the screen below the first mounting hardware and attached it to the handlebars just below the clamps from the first mounting hardware. Had to file out the second set of clamps due to the handlebars changing size a bit on the lower section. It looks like it came with the bike and works great. Don't have any pics yet. The mounting kits do not come with the screen and the whole package was @$200.

If you can, try to show mounting points high and low on the bike so others can see if they want to tackle it. We are waiting breathlessly (maybe some are)....lol

Reactions: Darth Emma

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you can, try to show mounting points high and low on the bike so others can see if they want to tackle it. We are waiting breathlessly (maybe some are)....lol
It wasn't too difficult to mount the MRA screen. A little work filing out the lower clamps was a little challenging but not too hard. I won't be able to take some pictures until this weekend. I will definitely get close ups on the mounting points.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wasn't keen on purchasing the thousand dollar cowl, but getting my 700n up to speed in the wind makes me really want to add on some type of shield. Aftermarket seems to be the only way to go now, so I too would like to see some pics.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a MRA Customshield (Style "CU") Windshield For Naked Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Enduro, And Dual Sport Motorcycles from Twisted Throttle and it works great. Mounts with Mounting Kit For MRA Naked Bike Windscreens (Universal For 1-Inch Or 7/8-Inch Diameter Bar). I have the large screen and it would deflect some going over bumps so i purchased and additional mounting kit and drilled holes in the screen below the first mounting hardware and attached it to the handlebars just below the clamps from the first mounting hardware. Had to file out the second set of clamps due to the handlebars changing size a bit on the lower section. It looks like it came with the bike and works great. I am 5’9” tall and I can easily see over the screen. It come up to about the same height as the bottom of my nose which is perfect for me.. The mounting kits do not come with the screen and the whole package was @$200.

Flickr: jim.scearbo's Photostream

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I purchased a MRA Customshield (Style "CU") Windshield For Naked Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Enduro, And Dual Sport Motorcycles from Twisted Throttle and it works great. Mounts with Mounting Kit For MRA Naked Bike Windscreens (Universal For 1-Inch Or 7/8-Inch Diameter Bar). I am 5’9” tall and I can easily see over the screen. It come up to about the same height as the bottom of my nose which is perfect for me.. The mounting kits do not come with the screen and the whole package was @$200.

Nice set of detailed photos on how it was mounted. Good Job.

so how is it a 70-75mph, seems everyone is getting buffeting around the head, how is it working for that?

Reactions: fjones

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I purchased a MRA Customshield (Style "CU") Windshield For Naked Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Enduro, And Dual Sport Motorcycles from Twisted Throttle and it works great. Mounts with Mounting Kit For MRA Naked Bike Windscreens (Universal For 1-Inch Or 7/8-Inch Diameter Bar). I have the large screen and it would deflect some going over bumps so i purchased and additional mounting kit and drilled holes in the screen below the first mounting hardware and attached it to the handlebars just below the clamps from the first mounting hardware. Had to file out the second set of clamps due to the handlebars changing size a bit on the lower section. It looks like it came with the bike and works great. I am 5’9” tall and I can easily see over the screen. It come up to about the same height as the bottom of my nose which is perfect for me.. The mounting kits do not come with the screen and the whole package was @$200.

That is a nice setup there. Great thinking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so how is it a 70-75mph, seems everyone is getting buffeting around the head, how is it working for that?
Bill, This bike weighs less than the 850 LB bike I used to take on the highway and I am not real comfortable going over 65 mph. The windscreen is not that big so there is some buffeting on my arms and head over 50 mph but not that bad. Did get up to 70 mph for a little while and the buffeting was not as bad as I thought. My lack of confidence with a light motorcycle was more apparent to me. It may take some time to be confident at 75 mph but I don't think the buffeting will be a significant issue for me. Anyway, buffeting is a very personal thing and depends on many variables so this same windscreen may be an issue with someone else. For me I found the bigger issue was the screen was designed, as naked windscreens are, for one set of brackets. Going over bumps the windscreen would bounce and hit the dark plastic shield underneath it so I added the second set of brackets and it is solid. happy trails!

1 - 20 of 204 Posts