CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like many other ctx700n riders i get a lot of annoying wind buffeting from around the headlight and i decided to do some experimenting with wind deflectors. madstad lowers won't work because of clearance issues so i made my own and found a size/shape that eliminates about 90% of the problem. took several tries but these work very well. yeah, they look weird but the improvement is worth the funny looks! spent about $20 for the material. Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Motorcycle Bicycle tire Tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it works, go for it. I was thinking about trying the same. Thanks for the input. Also, would/could you explain what material you used, bolt size, and how it was attached?
I like when people tell us about an end product that works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used a sheet of polypropeline from home depot. rigid enough, easy to cut to shape with a sharp blade, made the bottom brakcets from scrap aluminum strap and the upper brackets are simple wire clamps i had laying around the garage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
much more elaborate than mine. and your bike's stock fairing eliminates most of the problem airstream us naked bike riders must deal with. your's look like they make a large
"still air" envelope around you. it must be great out on the hiway...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine are affixed to the front forks so they turn when i do. the offending wind comes in around the headlight on the naked ctx700n and travels right along the sides of the center shelter. these deflectors move almost all of that wind further out to the side and reduce wind noise and buffetting by at least 90 %. so far the only downside i've found is a slight reduction in mpg (from about 70 to about 67) due to the increased wind resistance but it's a fair trade off for me. this is a "proof of concept" solution and i'll probably make a permanent set of deflectors from better material some time. not a bad deal for less than $25.00. btw, these deflectors are more effective, for me, than my new madstad windshield.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts