CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that Honda's success with the CTX models will open the door to a larger CTX motorcycle in the lineup? Perhaps a CTX1300.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Does anyone think that Honda's success with the CTX models will open the door to a larger CTX motorcycle in the lineup? Perhaps a CTX1300.
I am trying to remember parallel twins in Honda's past. I remember the 125, 160, 250, 305, 400 450, 500. The TM400 and 450 engines looked very much alike. The 70's 250 and 305 looked pretty much alike.

I think the 700 is the largest parallel twin yet from Honda.

My guess is you would never see a CTX1300 because they have that very nice engine already used in a couple of platforms.

Can Honda make a bigger CTX? They can but will they and how much bigger?
My guess would be a max around 750.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you go back and look at some of the marketing prior to the release of this CTX700N and CTX700, you will read that the two current CTX are planned to be just the first couple of models of entire line up of CTXs to come.

There is also some spy news that came out of the U.K. that Honda will take away the current 670 cc power train and replace it by a 720 cc, but this would not be a larger model; only a replacement to the current models that have this engine around the world. If this spy news is correct, Honda will stop production on the 670 and then the 2015 models of the NC700S, NC700X, Integra, CTX700N, CTX700 will all have a 720 cc motor instead. My guess is that this will not be an all-new engine; just some modifications to slightly increase the size, power, and torque.

I would expect, based on Hondas prior statements, that we will see larger displacement CTXs. But even if I'm right and that is true, we don't know if they'll look the same as the current two models or if they'll be totally different styles of bikes under the same banner, and we don't know what displacement. Also, we don't know if they'll use current engines in production or that new ones will be arriving.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Interesting foresight!

Honda seems to be targeting the new "Fuel Conscious" riders. They are seeing some success in that area as well with their newest models. Why change it too much? Wait and see if this market continues to grow, or if there is a consumer desire for larger displacement.

I love living in this day and age when we have so many dependable choices for rides on the market! I really can buy just about anything and feel comfortable traveling across the US on it. Not so much in the 1970's. LOL! I did trust my 71-CB750 though.

I'm pretty glad Honda has designed a nice mid-range bike for the "Fuelly's" that have a dependable engine and ease of handling.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
My wife and I rode this weekend. I averaged 40.8 mpg on my Concours14 and my wife averaged 76.6 mpg on the CTX. I was amazed, did the math 3 times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts