CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifes CTX700D has an oil drip about where the front sprocket is located. I cleaned the front sprocket and chain (thinking that might be the problem and it needed it anyway) and tried to see where it is coming from, but can't pinpoint the location.
I put new rubber on her bike and while the back tire was off, I took a flashlight and tried to see up in that area, but still could not see anything that gave me an indication where the leak was coming from.
LOL! It reminds me of an old chain oiler right now! So anyone reading this understands, I use Full Synthetic chain spray about every 500 miles lightly. I don't overspray and I also have an Honda NC700X that I ride and use the same oil on. So I don't think it is overspray the way the oil on the ground looks.
I hate to take it in, but I think I will have to have Honda look at it in case it's a seal.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Sounds like it can just be lube that has flung off the chain and caked up in the cover and dripped out. Take the cover/s off and wipe the area clean. Don't lube the chain again, ride it and park it and see if it does it again.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, not lube as I did take covers off and cleaned the area thoroughly first. Still have a small oil drip on the floor. She has ridden about 400 miles since the clean and I have not oiled chain.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Possibly the sprocket seal? Take the cover(s) off, clean the area on the case behind the sprocket, spray white foot powder all around the sprocket seal. If oil is leaking from the seal it will leave a clear trace in the powder.

This is also a good technique for showing the path of the Invisible Man.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking seal also. I will try the powder suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is a good idea. A light spray of powder would help show origin of leak. May be warranty issue to have fixed by dealer. Hope you find source.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
She had 7500 but probably still had 1k left. I changed them due to the fact they squared off because of all the flat land we ride here in Florida.

·
Registered
185 Posts
About the possible seal leak - there is usually some reason for seal failure if it's not simply old age: bent shaft, burr on the shaft, improper installation at the factory, bad seat surface . . . if the oil leak is from the seal and you take it back to the dealer, you might ask the mechanic to check some of that stuff rather than just bang another one in.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
One of the hardest things on the output shaft and seal is an overtight chain. Important to find the tightest point by rotating the rear wheel and adjust to it there. Also could be checked with rider and full gear on bike to see how it compares to specs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for suggestions. I checked the chain first and with 7k miles, it was on the looser side than tight. Not ready for adjustment though.
Could be a non-problem altogether. Looking closer at where the drip was coming from, my wife noticed a large accumulation of oil in the weld area at the foot of the center stand. It has a small pocket that collects oil fling off from the chain. Each time I lower the stand, oil drips out after a long ride. Hmmmm?
I have run the chain dry last couple of outings and cleaned all the gunk up again. Not seeing any drip with bike on center stand at this point. So, I am going to try switching from Full Syn Chain Lube to Chain Wax. Now go put some miles on this weekend with the weather being so nice in Florida. Hopefully, that is all it was.
I will let the nice folks on this forum know if this works. Each bike is different!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hopefully less fling from the chain lube will be the trick. I've had good luck with Dupont Teflox Wax, Belray (regular), and BelRay SuperClean lubes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put about 400 miles on this weekend and all looks good using the chain wax! I have not seen any drips the last two days at stops. I just changed the oil and filters, so will look again tomorrow morning to see if there are any drips on the floor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On most bikes the countershaft seal can be changed easily.......this bike i do not know the answer?? I have read on some Hondas the case has to be split hopefully this is not one of them!!!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Put about 400 miles on this weekend and all looks good using the chain wax! I have not seen any drips the last two days at stops. I just changed the oil and filters, so will look again tomorrow morning to see if there are any drips on the floor.

I think you found your leak and fixed it. All is good

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think your right Bill! Looks like the mess is cleaned up now. Dodged that bullet!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thousands of miles since that post and no further problem! It was the synthetic chain lube I was using. I have been using Chain Wax as suggested since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts