CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the CTX700 and noticed only a single brake rotor disc and caliper system. Why did Honda implement the dual disc brake system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My guess for this reason is that Honda is trying to cut cost on the CTX700. But to think of it the bikes in this class offers the same I haven;t seen any dual disc system in this segment yet. Maybe it doesn't need that much braking power.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The CTX700 is only making 48 horsepower and doesn't rev up to high. I'm sure Honda thought about this logically and with the previous motorcycles in this power range it probably doesn't need that much stopping power. I think the CTX700 even with the single disc brake system is enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A dual disc braking system for the CTX700 would be a little over kill. Honda matched up the brake system accordingly I wouldn't doubt that cost saving factor either though. the CTX700 is right now a new bike design more the more novice rider. Having a stronger brake system is good but if its too much or strong that might be too much for any rider too handle as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the automotive world that I'm a bit more familiar with is that when ever you have a higher horsepower vehicle it needs to be equipped with a sufficient braking system for it to stop at certain given distance. I think that this ame logic is applied with motorcycles as well. Just like how vehicles that hvae 400+ horsepower would need a bigger caliper. In the case of a bike two calipers and discs are used, one being on each side of the wheel for better symmetrical braking pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So dual system would be for more of a supersport type bike like the CBR600+ series. I guess that kind of makes sense. But the CTX700 compared to the CBR600 is like a hundred pound difference. Wouldn't weight play a factor in the braking too?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
So dual system would be for more of a supersport type bike like the CBR600+ series. I guess that kind of makes sense. But the CTX700 compared to the CBR600 is like a hundred pound difference. Wouldn't weight play a factor in the braking too?
The weight on the CTX700 does play a factor in the braking. Just like heavier vehicles need better braking system. The CTX700 and NC700 both weigh in at 500lbs. But the single disc is just enough since like we mentioned before lacks horsepower.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since your bring out the weight card, then doubling up with a passenger should have its affects too. We are way ahead of ourselves n this topic. It's not Honda's first day on the job. They go through extensive testing and qc before releasing it. I think even with the weight of the CTX700 which is 500lbs, the 31 pounds from the extra components and factor in a passenger this single disc braking system is sufficient. Come on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Brake setup on My NC700X has plenty of stopping power

The following bikes use the same brakes

CTX700 &
NC700X &
CB500 &
CBR500 &
Integra Scooter

All share the same Brakes, only difference is regular front brake gets 2 piston caliper,

ABS gets a 3 piston caliper

But all the rotors for all bikes above are the same.

this is cost saving,

Also the Rear wavy disc is cut out of the center of the front disc, another cost savings.

This means that there will be plenty of used parts available in a few years so that you should be able to keep them on the road for quite a while

The Standard NC700X 60-0 braking is in 115.8 feet the CTX will be the same

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Brake setup on My NC700X has plenty of stopping power

The following bikes use the same brakes

CTX700 &
NC700X &
CB500 &
CBR500 &
Integra Scooter

All share the same Brakes, only difference is regular front brake gets 2 piston caliper,

ABS gets a 3 piston caliper

But all the rotors for all bikes above are the same.

this is cost saving,

Also the Rear wavy disc is cut out of the center of the front disc, another cost savings.

This means that there will be plenty of used parts available in a few years so that you should be able to keep them on the road for quite a while

The Standard NC700X 60-0 braking is in 115.8 feet the CTX will be the same
Good to know for sure. I noticed that too on the CTX700 picture. I knew something didn't look right. But as long as it's enough braking power than it takes the worries away. Surprisingly it works for a bike with this kind of weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was surprised by that too. The CTX700 weighs about 500lbs I think I would of imagined it would required brakes on both sides but I guess not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The manual NC700X is 472-lbs auto w/ abs is 505-lbs
There are youtube videos of the NC700 skidding the brakes on the Non-abs model.

There is also a You tube of the NC doing a wheelie

I think the brakes stop really well, no problems there I am 6'0" tall and 180-lbs,

I have ridden it two up yet, and have not ridden it up into the mountains yet

·
Registered
46 Posts
The manual NC700X is 472-lbs auto w/ abs is 505-lbs
There are youtube videos of the NC700 skidding the brakes on the Non-abs model.

There is also a You tube of the NC doing a wheelie

I think the brakes stop really well, no problems there I am 6'0" tall and 180-lbs,

I have ridden it two up yet, and have not ridden it up into the mountains yet
Hey West, Do you have a video of the Nc700 where it is showing how dependable the brake system is? I would think it would give some of the guys here an idea of how reliable the single rotor and caliper is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
500lbs with the ABS and the DCT transmission, is that wet or dry weight? That is some weight added on. Well i'll believe Honda has every reason to use the single rotor system guess its just more of a sport thing to run two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts