CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, new to this bike and have only taken it for 6 putts but I really like how the bike handles in sport mode. It rides much more like I'm used to, with a better power band in all the gears. So I'm riding around in drive mode and feeling a bit bummed about my new ride, but I ride on some more and as usual, after more riding, I get some clarity. I realize that I have two options on my new ride. I can enjoy the power bands in sport or enjoy the better MPG in drive mode. So now I'm enjoying the luxury of both modes, tho sport is still my favorite.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I regularly ride in sport when I commute on 494 in heavier traffic, as it keeps it longer in gear and doesn't keep shifting up and down, getting to 6th by 40 or so, then back down to first when traffic backs up. I figure the gas mileage is not hurt that bad. When out in the open I always leave it in drive, but depending on the terrain on those Wisconsin hill runs I'll almost always be in sport. It shifts down way faster than I can on those curves, allowing me to concentrate on the run, and then holds that hear coming out of them and back up the hills. Then by the time we get to the flat farmland up on top, or on 35 along the river back in D it goes, and I leave it there the rest of the way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ride it exclusively in sport mode. I much prefer the way the bike changes gears. I'm not sure but I don't believe the mpg is hurt that much.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
MPG drops about 5 - 10% when running in sport mode continuously over D mode. It can be even higher than 15% if running hard in sport mode or at higher speeds on the Interstate.

The PCM has the ability to learn and adjust to your riding style. It can change or adjust the speed of the shift points based on certain circumstances. It learns every time you manually override the auto function by shifting manually or when you give it more throttle before or after a shift. No, you cannot teach it to stay in second gear all day long so forget that. If you ride hard in D mode, it will adjust and become much more responsive. It just takes time and patience. I rarely use Sport or Manual mode any more even when I running through the twisties.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm still waiting for it to learn. There's a hill I climb every day yet it still stays in 6th. If it would once shift down I'd be happy that it's getting it. I think mines a slow learner. Challenged if you will. Lol! But was very happy. First day of spring. Commuted. Went to the store. We're getting there!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have a manual and I ride in sport mode quite often. I have to so my butthead buddy with the ZX-10R doesn't leave me behind. As fast.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm still waiting for it to learn. There's a hill I climb every day yet it still stays in 6th. If it would once shift down I'd be happy that it's getting it. I think mines a slow learner. Challenged if you will. Lol! But was very happy. First day of spring. Commuted. Went to the store. We're getting there!
Manually downshift to 5th and give it some gas. It should stay in 5th until you reach the top. Its not perfect and it definitely cant read your mind. I have the same issue. When I first bought the CTX, It used to want to upshift to 6th about halfway up and then lug. After a couple of tries and downshifting back to 5th, it no longer does it. I also noticed fairly quickly the DCT wouldn't shift into 6th when I reached 38 mph if I gave it any throttle before it had time to shift. Before that, It would religiously shift into 6th and lug even under moderate throttle. It also downshifts a lot faster under throttle than it used to and holds the shift a lot longer. Not quite nearly as much as Sport mode but near perfect since Sport mode can hang onto the shift for too long.

Personally I prefer to downshift manually in D mode than upshift manually in S mode. Especially when getting on off the Interstate. S mode would never automatically upshift until I reached 75mph. That's fine if I'm looking to ride at 80mph but it would wind out for far too long requiring a manual upshift. The same was true on 45mph roadways. Honda addressed all this when they upgraded the PCM software on the 750 DCT.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I alternate between sport and manual mode on my DCT lately since I now live in very curvy, hill-acious higher altitude climates (1000+ feet above sea level).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all great insight and also exactly what I'm experiencing. If I'm heavier on the throttle in drive it feels more like what I'm used to, tho I have to manually downshift more often, and in sport mode it takes way too long to get into 6th. Keep this great feedback coming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
She and I ride her bike the same way. Sport mode in town and regular drive on the highway (unless I am having fun with it). She averages 80MPG and I average 65MPG with the bike.. LOL Not sure about leaving it in sport what the difference would be.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
actually, I don't care for it in sport all the time, as in town it winds up too much for my taste. I use Sport as a tool primarily to get what I need, whether it be the hills, or heavy traffic or for fun. Otherwise, for me drive works just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
That was my take as well. With the DCT, even in D mode, I'm way out in front of the rest of the traffic just riding moderately. I don't need it to hang onto a shift any longer when I'm driving at a normal pace. I really have to concentrate on staying off the throttle when riding with a group. With the DCT, I get up to speed much faster than they do compared to their manual bikes under the same throttle conditions. They either have to play catch up or I have to reduce my throttle dramatically. When the DCT shifts, there's no lag time what so ever so there's no small loss of forward momentum during the shifting process. Running side by side, I'm also a lot quicker off the line.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have the 6 speed standard and I just replaced my 16 tooth front sprocket with a 15 tooth. World of difference in the way it winds up and pulls in higher gears for passing cars. As near as I can see according to my GPS, it is somewhere around 10% lower. I will have to wait for better weather to check it in a measured mile to see the exact difference. Don't think it will affect fuel use much because it will break the wind easier. We are just starting to get weather above freezing in the mid day. with minus numbers at night.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It appears the DCT is 16/39 and the manual clutch version is 16/43. I think you'll have about a 6% change with your 15T sprocket. If you want just a bit less you could add one or two teeth to the rear with the 16T sprocket. That would be my preference.

Chains are happier with larger sprockets. Very small sprockets can also increase vibration as well as chain wear because of the chordal action

2.2.1 Chordal Action

I've seen recommendations from the chain manufacturers to use 17-18T as the lowest recommended number of teeth. I've seen some dirt bikes with 11/12T engine sprockets, and that's just wrong. :)

But if it is working for you and you don't notice an increase in vibration and are willing to have a little faster chain/sprocket wear, it shouldn't cause you to lose sleep worrying over it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Works perfect with no vibration, smooth as silk. My calculator says it should be about 7% different but my GPS says about 10%. GPS and Honda car are identical but one of these must be wrong. We have a measured mile so when the weather changes I will check. It is a lot better for starting on an uphill grade and around town. I can now nearly stop at the lights and instead of going to 1st it will pick it up in second. The sprocket is the same as the NC700 I think.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ride from Sacramento to San Francisco in D. When I get across the Bay Bridge I've learned to put it in S. Too many stop signs and red lights on too many hills. It just works better (for me) in S for this type of riding. On my way back out of town, I hit D as soon as I get on the Bridge. Honda gave us those 2 modes to give us the choice, and I thank them fo it.

I'm light enough that I haven't even thought about sprocket changes, but I can see that some larger folks might like a little extra grunt. I agree with MIchael about using the larger rear sprocket if available. Much easier on the chains. The only place I've seen the tiny 11/12 T front sprockets used was when I was a tuner on a Pro Go Kart team. The 5" wheeels only allow so much rear sprocket and when you have a 280# kid in the Sumo class, you need to accept that you'll be changing sprockets and chains (and clutches) almost every weekend.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am starting to really like this gearing. I can see where it would benefit some of our heavier members or those that ride double. Not really concerned about the smaller size because it is listed for 5 NC 700 and 4 NC750 bikes. These bikes are listed as DCT''S as well as standards. I had to remove one link in the chain so I don't see how it would cause much more stress on the sprockets and chain. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts