CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my wife's bike finally showed up last Friday. Dealer was pretty responsive to my wishes and didn't even start the bike up until it was ready to go and I was present. I've been breaking it in for her. Not silky smooth as I was hoping it might be. It's just an honest motorcycle, although one that's light, easy to ride, big enough, with phenomenal gas mileage.

My engine break in method is a scientifically hard break in. Lets just say that after 20 miles it was 80% broken in and after 40 miles I consider the engine (piston rings) to be 95% broken in. Changed the oil at 20 and 100 miles. Will continue to change at probably 250/500/1000/1500(synthetic) and the probably every 4-5k for the life of the bike. Using Purolator Pure One (probably the best oil filter available today) and Mobil-1 (2nd best) filters. Rotella dino then probably Rotella synthetic. FYI, if you want the best synthetic oil money can buy -- Redline oil... Gas mileage after many WOT runs to the rev limiter (to seat the rings) = 55mpg. Unbelievable. If you just rode "fast", you'd probably get 65mpg. Ride it easy and probably 70-75mpg+. Amazing.

The bike is a real runner. I'm very pleased. Anywhere in the 35-70 mph midrange and this bike moves out quite well. Under 35 and you can't shift fast enough, over 70 and it's pushing too much wind for the motor. I would say about 75mph would be about as hard as I'd want to run this thing "all day." 70mph is better, about 65 mph best. Seating position is very close to my Ultra Classic, just with the pegs/bars a little bit closer. I would rate comfort/seating position 9+. Bike is rock steady at all speeds. 100% smooth to 95mph. Tires seem to be fine. Front brake is quite powerful with a strong initial bite - liking the front brake. Rear brake is suitable only for parking lots and bringing yourself to a final stop 3 feet from a stop sign LOL. Probably the weakest rear brake I've ever felt on any bike.

Only negative comments would be that the drive train is quite "snatchy" during on/off throttle transitions; and the transmission is pretty clunky (hope it smooths out with some miles). Would not recommend for two up riding. Load capacity too low and not enough power for two. Occasionally for very short distances -- maybe. Good rider only bike.

Been riding the bike with a half helmet w/visor and the short windshield. Not too bad at 55mph or below. Could ride all day with the short windshield and a full face (if I had one). Have windshield/bags on order -- not here yet.

Was worried that the bike would be "too white" or have too much white. No worries, looks good; better in person than in photos. After seeing both the red and white I will confess that I prefer the white (wife's choice).

This is a solid bike and a good value. If this thing runs for a long time (and it should - Honda), it will be probably my best motorcycle purchase ever.

Wife loves it (it's her's after all).

Revolutionary bike, love it.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
great comments and glad you got the one you wanted. I agree with all your comments and observations. Interesting break in routine and I know your are serious in your execution of it. So thumbs up to you.

Most Honda's and several other bikes I have had seem to be clunky shifting. Sometimes the rpms being low helps other times it seems going up in gears is smoother and down more clunky. I simply don't think about it much any more. Never had any tranny problems with any of them anyway.

I like the CTX but think I will own other bikes too (and I do at present as I like bikes made around 1988 give or take a few years). But for now, the CTX it is my "universal bike".

Hope you and your wife have many happy miles riding together.

Reactions: TommyBwell

·
Registered
975 Posts
Glad that you and the spouse are happy! I've been riding only one day. I agree with your comments except that I have less experience with other rides, so I don't notice most of the negatives as much as you do. I drive a 100 horsepower cage that weighs 3200 lbs but with great torque but little response above 70 mph, and I just traded in a 33 horsepower scooter, so relatively speaking, this thing has loads of power at all speeds from my perspective, but I have noticed the clunkiness and the on-and-off throttle uneasiness.

Previously to taking delivery on this bike, I had learned to ride on an 1100 Yamaha cruiser bike, and the throttle-on torque response is almost equal in this less-than-half-displacement bike, and the CTX is much smoother in almost all RPM ranges than the V-twin Yamaha. Even though the Yamaha is much heavier, the CTX rides just as smoothly as well, but of course, the Yamaha is much older. The CTX has a much more comfortable seated position for me than any cruiser than I've ever sat on, and I like the fact that I can change my position on the seat to either spread out some on the rural highway, or seat up towards the front of the seat to get better control of the bike and to sit more upright in traffic situations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts