CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure there is a thread exactly like this one.

I'm intending this to be a thread about the shield you bought, your height, how you like / don't like it etc. to be used by folks who are trying to decide what shield or shield size to get.

Please put, not only your height, put your inseam so others will know how long your torso is. (Only the distance from your butt to your eyes matter for a shield, not your leg length.)

Please also note which size screen you bought and how far above/below your eye level the screen is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought the Cee Bailey 22" shield with the vent in it. I am 5'5" with an inseam of approx 27" making my torso approx 38". If I look straight out the shield top is about 1-2" below my line of sight. If I were to order again I would get a 24". (I could always stretch my neck and torso up to be able to see completely over it). I prefer looking through a shield.

Before getting the CTX my latest ride was a Vespa and I have a large shield on it. I look through the shield and there is almost no wind noise or pressure when I ride, even up to 75 mph. The Cee Bailey did not provide that much protection. I have also owned a number of Silver Wing scooters and generally use the Givi shield on those. I believe the CB does not provide as much protection on the CTX as the Givi does on a Silver Wing.

The CB does cut the noise and wind from the original short screen and I believe the current 22" will be more than sufficient for my needs. If not, I will probably look into adding something like a laminar lip to it.

I test rode the CTX with the Honda Tall Shield and that was quite bad for me. That shield placed all the wind into my helmet and was unacceptable. IMO the Honda Tall is useless as anyone short enough to be able to use it would probably be too short to ride the bike.

The quality of the CB is top of the line.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've got the faired bike. Is this the one you want a review on?

I bought the Madstad 12"; dark grey and to this point, I can't recommend it. It is much quieter than with the short shield. I can now hear the engine when accelerating, and all the push on my upper shoulders and neck are gone and that's nice, but it is still loud unless I duck down, and I've tried about ten positions with this adjustable shield and I still get the noise at all heights and angles and distances forward of the bike. I would think with all the downsides that mpg loss would have been minimized, but preliminary results looks like about a 4 mpg loss, but it's hard to tell since temperatures dropped around the same time. My mpg is down around 9 mpg since summer, which is a combination of the temperature and the windshield. I've never had this kind of wintertime loss in any vehicle. My riding style and routes are the same. Using the same gas at the same pumps. When the temps first dropped, my first tank was 4 mpg down with the stock shield, so I'm assuming that the shield is accounting for about half my mpg loss.

I ordered a 12" based on Madstad's recommendations, because I'm 5'8. Others have bought the 16" shield even at 5'7 and have been happy. I'm going to see if they'll let me trade, because if I raise the shield to where the top is set right, the bottom is too high up. I think a larger shield than their sizing recommendations might do the trick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have the naked version. 6'1", and not sure why you requested the inseam of a guy's pants if you want his torso height. Bought a Madstad 20" screen and am fairly happy. It's not exactly a full screen like some of the GW's offer, etc., but it has treated me well. Limited buffeting of the head, and little to no bug splatter on the helmet. Does not inhibit vision, and looks like a factory option. At least that's what my wife thinks… :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well maybe torso is the wrong term. Listing the inseam and height allows calculation from the groin to the top of the head ( deduct a couple of inches for the distance from the eyes to the top of the head) giving a better indication of what size shield to get.

Example.
Person A is 6' with a 30" inseam. Groin to head is then 42".

If person B is 6' with a 32" inseam, groin to head is then 40". Person B might want to buy a shorter shield than A even tho they are the same height.

Trying to calculate a shield height, it's only the groin to head height that really matters. Inseam doesn't affect anything but is needed to do the calculation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Height 5' 10", 30" inseam. Madstad 18" on 700n dct. Works fine at max height, 50% tilt, but not tested beyond 70 mph. Vast improvement versus original unprotected situation.

Reactions: JerseyBiker

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have this one, mounted at top of speedo cluster: Monster Parts: Puig Stream Universal Windscreen

Bike is the NDT; I am 5-11, 30 inch inseam. Tested at 90 +. Wind stream hits at the topmost of my helmet. I recommend this one to any NDT riders. Brake reservoir and parking brake on the other side make for tricky mounting. But once on, it is solid. [picture posted in the other main thread about screens; or just look up my posts.]

Ride often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just went and (using a level) measured the height to the top of the Honda windshield from where it goes into the fairing, and from the little Honda emblem forward of the shelter-pocket/fuel-cap area. Two points of reference that will not change no matter how or where I sit on the bike at any time. This 'vertical height' was:

From [email protected]"
From Honda [email protected]"

I determined that I need a windshield that sits at least 3 - 3.5" higher than the Honda shield, in order to look 'through' it. I'm wondering if you can include your windshield 'vertical height' from either one (or any other constant) of these reference points

I understand this has nothing to do with wind 'deflection' necessarily so, if it needs to have it's own thread, please let me know or feel free to start it.

Thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The Cee Bailey web site has a pretty good how to page on how to determine the correct height of windshield for the CTX fairing model. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of the windscreens currently offered will allow you to see through the windscreen at the appropriate level without hindering line of sight. All of them are designed for wind deflection. I suppose if you are 5'0 - 5'6 and ordered the tallest Cee Bailey, you might be able to get away with it. At the height you suggest, you would still be viewing the road through the top 2 inches of screen due to the way the screen tilts back torward the rider. Windscreen design and functionality is actually rocket science.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Cee Bailey web site has a pretty good how to page on how to determine the correct height of windshield for the CTX fairing model. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of the windscreens currently offered will allow you to see through the windscreen at the appropriate level without hindering line of sight. All of them are designed for wind deflection. I suppose if you are 5'0 - 5'6 and ordered the tallest Cee Bailey, you might be able to get away with it. At the height you suggest, you would still be viewing the road through the top 2 inches of screen due to the way the screen tilts back torward the rider. Windscreen design and functionality is actually rocket science.
Thank you for the Cee Bailey suggestion. I checked the site and saw their instructions using a straight edge and string. If this shield sweeps back at the same angle as the original, I can figure out the height I need, but I would have to confirm it is the same sweep angle.
Do you have one of theirs?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Yes I do, I have a 22" Cee Bailey with vent. I also have the OEM tall windshield. If memory serves me, the Cee Bailey slopes back further than the OEM. For comparison purposes, I'm 6'0 with a 34" inseam and my line of sight is approximately 2" over the windshield. Airflow is directed at the upper edge of my helmet with no buffeting to speak of. I prefer this arrangement because I have an open view of the road ahead and just in front of the bike without obstruction. This system is preferred by most and recommended by most manufacturers for obvious reasons, especially when riding in the rain. Rain, dirt and bugs will obstruct your view as it strikes the windshield without any means to remove or clean it off. Riding behind an 18 wheeler or any vehicle for that matter during or after a rain storm is near impossible while looking through a windshield without wipers.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I also have the 22" Cee Bailey and am happy with it.
Just wanted to comment though.
I have had windshields on the cruisers I owned, like the Kawasaki Nomad and the Victory Cross Country Tour, which give you terrific protection.
You look through them, not over. I have ridden in the rain with no problems at all. The wind hitting the shield wipes away the rain so it's not a problem. Bugs are more of a concern but I always used the proper cleaner before the bugs got to be an obstruction.
The best windshield was on the Goldwing. You could see over but it provided great protection.
I doubt if you could get the same effect on any windshield available for the CTX.
I noted in another thread that with the Corbin seat you are almost 2 inches higher than with the stock seat. I would get the 23" now. I don't believe Cee Bailey makes any higher than that. I have emailed them to see if any higher is available.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I've found this to be true also on most occasions especially on large cruisers with full fairings with well designed windshields. I've also experienced a few occasions, primarily after a short rain storm when road dirt and grime has not had the opportunity to wash off, where I was forced to pull over to clean the windshield due to visibility issues. I admit to having to tuck behind my windshield on many occasions and peering through for a number of reasons. A well designed windshield such as the Cee Bailey will allow you to peer over the top increasing visibility plus giving good protection. Obviously. nothing will give full protection on this bike due to the fact its just not designed to do so. The fairing is relatively small and the handlebars are forward requiring a small windshield with cutouts. The bike is built low in comparison to most other bikes to allow a low seat height. A 24' windshield or greater to allow the avg. rider to peer through would most probably over power the bike or make it unstable due to but not limited to side wind effects.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the fairing model and I chose the 16" windshield from Madstad. It's great and you do hear more bike noise, but it beats getting the wind pounded in your face and holding on for dear life with the 2 inch stock windshield. I haven't had any problems with it and I love the adjustability of the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I don't believe Cee Bailey makes any higher than that. I have emailed them to see if any higher is available.
They will accommodate special requests, even make taller if needed. You just need to contact them over the phone and tell them what you need and they will work with you, I had to do it myself. Online orders are for the bulk of common orders, but they do special orders also. Each product is made to order, not pulled of a shelf.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They will accommodate special requests, even make taller if needed. You just need to contact them over the phone and tell them what you need and they will work with you, I had to do it myself. Online orders are for the bulk of common orders, but they do special orders also. Each product is made to order, not pulled of a shelf.
This is true, even the saddle bag inserts are made to order.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I ordered a helmet, so I may decide to not get a tall, see through windshield.

jfc, you wouldn't happen to remember how high above the Honda windshield your line of sight was?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The Honda windshield height was approximately at bottom chin level. The airstream created would strike me at nose height and beyond creating some buffeting. I wear a modular full face helmet so was bearable but uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of riding. I found myself ducking down which put a lot of stress on my back and neck. The Cee Bailey cured all this and provides a considerable amount of protection. The OEM shield is shorter and not as wide at the bottom or top. The Madstad is an improvement over the OEM shield but still not as good as the Cee Bailey. At least the 14" any ways. The cost is greater as well and the mounting system is much more complicated. Spent a lot of time adjusting it and my passenger found it uncomfortable with buffeting. Still better than the OEM but no comparison to the Cee Bailey.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Honda windshield height was approximately at bottom chin level. The airstream created would strike me at nose height and beyond creating some buffeting. I wear a modular full face helmet so was bearable but uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of riding. I found myself ducking down which put a lot of stress on my back and neck. The Cee Bailey cured all this and provides a considerable amount of protection. The OEM shield is shorter and not as wide at the bottom or top. The Madstad is an improvement over the OEM shield but still not as good as the Cee Bailey. At least the 14" any ways. The cost is greater as well and the mounting system is much more complicated. Spent a lot of time adjusting it and my passenger found it uncomfortable with buffeting. Still better than the OEM but no comparison to the Cee Bailey.
The 22" Cee Bailey might just be what I need, then. That puts it @ 4" higher, making it still possible for me to raise my head to look over it, and not have to contort myself too much to hide behind the shield. This is a good candidate to go on my bike.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts