CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bouncing around on the forum looking for ideas to help with chain maintenance. I’d also like to do my own oil/DCT fluid changes. I’ve seen motorcycle stands with a chock, snapjack, and centerstands recommended. I also came across a wheel cleaning stand.
Rectangle Gas Grille Metal Parallel

My question is which one will give me the best bang for my buck. It seems the T-rex supplanted the centerstand from Japan but it is about $200 and not in stock currently. A rear wheel lift & a chock or a front & rear wheel lift is about $100. Any thoughts on using the chock vs the front lift?
Vertebrate Mammal Organism Gesture Cartoon

The snapjack is about $50. It looks like it will allow me to maintain the chain. Do I need any extra height for oil changes?

The cheapest are the wheel cleaning stands at about $40. My guess is its harder to spin the wheel than the snapjack. Anyone use one?

I will likely be doing this work alone so ease of using these without help is important. Thank you for your input.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Dude,
Get the center stand from Japan.
It is perfect and it is easy, and it is always with you.
You are clearly over thinking this.

I have posted here before how to get it and how to put it on. A real do it yourself project.
Now, for more intense maintenance I also have the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift.
Great for changing tires and other projects. And it fits all my other bikes as well.
Here's a link to it:

but here is the center stand, and you really need it, you'll find out if you get it:

center stand stop

you absolutely need the stop. when you kick the center stand up it will hit the chain and the chain will rub and break.
the stop keeps the center stand down just a bit, so you need it.

Now, there are two different center stands that will actually go on this bike. but one is just a bit too tall and if you put the wrong one on you will never get the bike up on it.
so do NOT get the other one.

and here is the video that tells you how to do it, including how to "MacGyver" the springs onto the thing.
it is from one of our "Riding Bros" in Australia
You'll have to copy and paste.

I have the full faired model, and it works just exactly the same as the video.
Now, do yourself a favor, get the center stand. and you'll be ready for anything.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
68 Posts
I have used the wheel cleaning stand from Harbor Freight. It works as intended and the wheel isn't hard to rotate, but it doesn't rotate freely - only rotates when you move it by hand. A free rotating wheel is better so you can continuously spray lubricant on the chain without stopping and starting.

Then I tried the Trackside Rear Paddock Stand from Cycle Gear. Worked much better than the wheel cleaning stand. The paddock stand also allows you to remove the rear wheel.

Finally I installed a centerstand and stopper from Webike Japan (and added a rubber cushion to the stopper bolt). Works great. The center stand has been the best mod to my bike so far. The stand allows you to remove either the front or rear wheel, oil the chain, and replace the chain. Plus, it's always on hand and available because it's attached to the bike :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I got the wheel cleaning stand in your picture from the previous owner of my bike. Tossed in the trash. As Freedom says the wheel doesn't rotate freely and was a pain to use. I use a motorcycle jack - see the thread "How to lift a CTX with a motorcycle jack.

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
The center stand is excellent, I would highly recommend it even if its just for general chain maintenance. In the city the stand also gives the bike more support of its bumped or someone messes with it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Dude,
Get the center stand from Japan.
It is perfect and it is easy, and it is always with you.
You are clearly over thinking this.

I have posted here before how to get it and how to put it on. A real do it yourself project.
Now, for more intense maintenance I also have the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift.
Great for changing tires and other projects. And it fits all my other bikes as well.
Here's a link to it:

but here is the center stand, and you really need it, you'll find out if you get it:

center stand stop

you absolutely need the stop. when you kick the center stand up it will hit the chain and the chain will rub and break.
the stop keeps the center stand down just a bit, so you need it.

Now, there are two different center stands that will actually go on this bike. but one is just a bit too tall and if you put the wrong one on you will never get the bike up on it.
so do NOT get the other one.

and here is the video that tells you how to do it, including how to "MacGyver" the springs onto the thing.
it is from one of our "Riding Bros" in Australia
You'll have to copy and paste.

I have the full faired model, and it works just exactly the same as the video.
Now, do yourself a favor, get the center stand. and you'll be ready for anything.
+1 on Center stand from Japan

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the wheel cleaning stand from HF and it works better than doing one section of chain, moving the bike a foot or so to the next section, etc. That's a low bar to clear.

I bought wheel stands and hated them, but they are better than the wheel cleaning stand.

Finally I broke down and mounted the T-Rex centerstand. I don't know how it compares to the one from Japan, but it's a wonderful addition to the bike. Like rossmcgrath said, it is always with you, which is a huge plus. It's not easy to get the bike up on the stand for me, but that has more to do with spinal stenosis than it does design flaw. I'd say, whichever centerstand you choose, choose the centerstand. It makes chain maintenance a simple process, and I don't know how the ever lovin' heck one could change the oil with just the side stand.

Reactions: Vulcan Mediator
1 - 9 of 9 Posts