CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start this thread with a simple question and hope to get simple answers.
Honda manual calles the tank storage area a "Luggage Box" Yeah, Right
Max weight in owners manual is 1.1lb and don't store anything flammable or susceptible to heat damage.

so what do you actually carry in the BOX when you go riding. Try to use simple 1 liners to describe items.

what I carry Now (will expand as I ride it more).

1. a small 4" long bright led flashlight in it's case
2. a zip lock bag with a 12"x12" t-shirt patch for cleaning visor
3. a Harley brand neck/head stretchy scarf tube (no bee stings in neck)
4. small cargo net (metal hooks removed) from Harbor freight
5. Leatherman multi tool in it's case. slides in edge area inside box

that's it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Great idea for a new thread!

Don't own one yet, but I plan to put the registration, insurance card, and AAA card in a zip lock; maybe even an extra debit card to logistically simplify fueling, since I'll be a long-range, daily rider and easy fueling will be important to me, especially since Honda found the need to sacrifice fuel capacity for this little compartment and I'll be stopping more than once per week. I know that security wise, none of this is recommended, but one has to make his or her life as simple as possible, and it is just so important to do something like this from a practicality standpoint, that I'll take the risk, and I'll have to do alot of extra work if the bike gets stolen.

I'll also put my summer riding gloves, and the do-it-all tool is a good idea as well; if I can get this all in. Flashlight in the wintertime, when I'll start riding in low visibility. I like the location of the storage. I just don't like giving up so much fuel capacity for such little storage, but I'll use it to the best advantage that I can.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to fill that compartment with heaps of those little bottles of Vodka you get in the motel mini-bar. Should be good for another 20 miles with this engine.
Sure, you are going to put that in your motor...should raise the octaine some. lol they did say "non-flammable" in the manual .

I wonder if I can pack some ice around a beverage can and still close the lid? hummm.

Ok, I am guilty... I wanted this thread to be about what riders actually put in there not what they wished they could put in there,

my bad...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Things I put in mine.

1. Cigarettes (so they don't get crushed in my pants)

2. Cell Phone

3. Wallet

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine contains:
  • Small LED flashlight
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Registration, inspection and insurance cards
  • EZ-Pass transponder, wrapped in a neoprene coozy
  • Small, plastic, gum container, holding change for non-transponder tolls
  • Ballpoint pen
  • Small notepad

In the area where the gas filler cap is, and clipped to the lid strap:
  • Garage door opener
  • Exxon SpeedPass transponder

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would carry: Reading Glasses, Sun glasses, keys (Like jailers keys: so many house keys, car keys etc) Garage door opener.
Best Greyshadow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use mine to store my iphone and electronic cigarette and any other odds and ends that I don't want in my pockets when I ride. I make sure to keep my registration and paperwork under the seat; non accessible to wandering hands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What???

I use mine to store my iphone and electronic cigarette and any other odds and ends that I don't want in my pockets when I ride. I make sure to keep my registration and paperwork under the seat; non accessible to wandering hands.
Its possible to store something under the seat? Is there a compartment or pocket? Or are you just sliding it under hoping it stays put?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Here in AZ, a day ride to the High Country can result in chilly temps for us desert dwellers. I can easily stuff a long sleeve riding shirt in the tank storage. I fold it lengthwise, then push the two sleeves down one side, and the body down the other. Fits perfectly. Sunglasses, foldup reading glasses in their case, and a flat body mini flashlight go in the gas filler area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - Wallet
2 - Small folded t-shirt material cloth
3 - Stylus for operating iPhone
4 - Garage door opener
5 - E-cigarette supplies stuffed in a ZipLock storage bag
6 - Pen to write stuff with

Reactions: Ladygadget

·
Registered
48 Posts
Garage door opener Velcroed to the bottom side of the lid wallet & cell phone

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went with the following:
Flash Light
Leatherman
Air Pressure Gauge
Cold Weather Face/Neck Mask
Sunglasses
Free Gun Lock to lock my helmet to the handlebars.

Pretty ingenious I thought. I do wish there was a way to lock the either the small storage area or the Gas Cap Access Panel. I wouldn't keep anything too valuable in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a 2"X4" piece of stiff plastic to use under the kickstand on soft ground and a microfiber towel to wipe the bike down before riding or possible gas spillage when refueling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kind of funny--as I was completing the paperwork to buy my CTX, the salesman handed over the 'tool kit'. It consisted of a screwdriver. Oh, and the helmet lock cable. I had to joke with the guy, just to make sure that this tool was all that I needed to take apart or repair my new bike on the fly. ;)

I have to have a tool kit with my truck to feel comfortable, why not have a similar setup for the bike? Good post Bill.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I still use the cubby for summer gloves and sunglasses, but the small block for the side stand is a good idea, because I can leave the gloves on the outside or in my top case. I have moved my note pad, pen and credit card rubber-banded together outside the cubby to the area above the gas cap. It is more convenient that way when I stop for fuel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You guys have given me a few ideas of what to place in my storage bin. I already have my Snap-On tool kit for MC under the seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts