CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am totally baffled by the bombshell my salesman just told me via email, but I've not yet caught up with him to talk to him on the phone. He told me that the bike I was expecting to have already taken delivery on would be at the dealership on September 14.

Background: Back in early July I made a trade deal with Southern Honda for my scooter and left a deposit on a CTX700. At that time, they had no expected delivery date and no guarantee on price other than they would stand by the trade value they had given me no matter how long it took to get in the bike and that I would pay less than MSRP with no dealer fees.

I left my scooter there at the dealership so that they would not have to reevaluate its value and to try selling it in this larger city since I was having no luck in my rural home. I was the first person to leave a deposit on any CTX700 fairing model.

My salesperson was so busy that day that the sales manager actually did the paperwork for me that day. I told him that I preferred a red one but if the first shipment came in with only white ones then I would take a white one, because I did not want to wait a month or more longer for a red one. At this point, Southern Honda had received no CTX's; no naked models or anything, but they had some N models expected July 26.

I could tell that day that none of them understood the different models, colors, etc., but they had an understanding of the exact model number on their order sheet that I would be getting, which was CTX700E. They told me that the E meant that it is a 2014 model.

Also, around this time, the person that communicates with the public on their facebook page posted that interested persons should check that page daily and whenever new bikes come in it would be posted on that page. Subsequently, I had been checking the page daily for weeks and had seen no posts about new bikes. I then inquired about whether or not I was coming to the right place to check, since I had not seen a single post about new bikes arriving. The FB communicator kind of got rude with me and said that yes I was checking at the right place, and that they put them on there all the time, and that if I want one, I should put a deposit on one.

A few weeks later, I inquired with the salesperson, and he stated that some red ones were due in on August 8 and one would be ready for me a couple of days after that.

On or about July 30, the salesperson called me and told me that my bike was in and ready for pick up, but that the only one they had was black. I told him that didn't sound right, because Honda doesn't make the fairing model in black. He inquired as to which one I had ordered; a fairing or non fairing model and then stated that he was pretty sure that the black one was a fairing model and for me to check back with him @ 1PM. Of course, when I checked back he had rechecked and realized that it was a mistake, and that the bikes that had come in were the N models that had been due on July 26.

I had been checking the FB page daily for mentioning of any new models. There had been no mention of the CTX700N or anything else except for the CB500X. It was misinformation that they posted all new arrivals, because I knew in fact that the CTX700Ns had arrived but were not posted.

On August 8, late in the day, I inquired about the CTX700s that were expected with the salesperson. He said that they had not yet come in; that it might be tomorrow (Friday) or next week, but that he would definitely mark one for me and call me as soon as they arrived. He stated that at least one red one was supposed to be with the shipment, so I didn't worry about asking about a white one.

This week is the next week. I waited until August 14 and didn't hear anything from the salesperson. I then emailed my salesman on Wednesday about picking one up on Thursday or Saturday; just let me know.

Then came the bombshell. He told me that he would get some red ones on September 14. He apologized but said it was good that we now had a confirmation date from Honda. He did not mention the August 8 shipment at all. I replied to the email and asked him about what happened to the August shipment. Did they not ship any? Were they all white? Were the all DCT/ABS? I also told him that if he gets a white one before September 14 that I would take it. His reply, which follows, totally confuses me...The white is the one you want but the only difference is the color. Let me know if you want pictures or I can reserve this unit for you. Please let me know. Again the white one does have the fairings.

I'm going to reach him or someone on the phone today, but I don't know what that reply means. Does it mean they have a white one but failed to tell me that some had come in but no red ones? Does it mean that they expect a white one before September 14? Does it mean that they thought I wanted a white one? I'm not sure, but I hope they have a white one that they've not yet sold, because I'm tired of waiting. And still nothing on the FB page. If it fact it turns out that some white ones arrived and he decided not to tell me then I'm completely at odds, because, if he thought I wanted a red one but then mistakenly called me about a black one back on July 30, why would he risk me missing out on a delivery by not telling me about a white one. I'm kind of stuck with this dealer, because the only other dealer that would take my scooter in a trade wants $1K more to make the deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bigger than me...

Then came the bombshell. I'm kind of stuck with this dealer, because the only other dealer that would take my scooter in a trade wants $1K more to make the deal.
I dont think I would do business with this dealership...the string along they keep giving you boasts no confidence with this business. You have been without your bike for months and where is the reward? They obviously have never heard of "Under Promise, Over Deliver". Other dealerships have gotten the Bikes you are wanting...why cant they trade to get you one? I would threaten to file a complaint with the BBB and also all your FaceBook friends, and also on YouTube...that may get some action, since businesses know that social media is the fastest way a message gets around. Why did you have to put a deposit down? That is a sales tactic to "guarantee" the sale... They got your trade and a down payment and you got what? The Run Around! I wonder if they even still have your Scooter...they may have already sold it. I am afraid to say that your impatience may have gotten you into this pickle. You could have driven to a different dealership by now and gotten the bike and a decent deal too. Even if the dealership is 300 miles away, you would have gotten it already and saved yourself all this frustration.

Anyway, excuse my venting, but I hate injustices... and as someone who was in sales for years, I hate to see people get "suckered" by shady sales people.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, it would be hard to take. I will say that it seems Honda keeps most of their dealers in the dark on delivery dates. The one closest to me wouldn't even tell me when they expected them to come in. The one I purchased my wife's CTX from told us possibly around the 4th of July but it didn't come in until the end of July. But hopefully Sept 14th will come fast for you:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in chattanooga and I have heard from lots of people how you should never do business with southern honda that they advertise they have certain motorcycles and on the phone they tell you yes and then when you get there they say oh we sold that one but we have this one etc that has more options etc so they can get more money by loading it up I've also heard that as far as service they really suck we have always bought ours at honda of chattanooga we bought the first 2 red naked CTX s they got we have none the owner for 25 years he is a really good honest person and does people right in fact I showed him this forumn the other day where u were telling me how the salesman was rude to you and would not even discuss models they did not have yet he could not believe it cause he said they have several deposits from people on that new grom honda and he has taken some on the ctx also and when we bought ours he was gonna order us one you really should contact him his name is Barry White 423 855-5055 he will do you right I promise he does take trades on stuff to he prefers for it to be honda brand but he has Kawasaki in there he took on trade
Have you tried to sell yours to WOW in Marietta ga ? They out right buy people's my friend took her burgmam 650 to wow and they gave her a good price it only took like 35 min they just ask you to bring a clean title and then they test ride it.
Just be careful of southern honda if you continue to deal with them !

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That stinks. I'm confused, did you already give them your scooter? I understand the financial part but usually they don't take the trade until you complete the deal and get the new bike. Based on your explanation I would take my business elsewhere unless they have what you want now.

Sounds like you should complete business face to face. It sounds like they have a white CTX700. GO GET IT.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That stinks. I'm confused, did you already give them your scooter? I understand the financial part but usually they don't take the trade until you complete the deal and get the new bike. Based on your explanation I would take my business elsewhere unless they have what you want now.

Sounds like you should complete business face to face. It sounds like they have a white CTX700. GO GET IT.
Of course everything is good now. I got the bike I wanted only a week or so after what they had originally told me.

The trade deal was what they promised and they delivered a CTX700 @ $600 below MSRP (they had guaranteed me no more than MSRP), so everything finally ended up just right and actually even better than I had imagined; just a little scare there for a day.

What happened with the scooter though was that I was having trouble getting any interest in it even @ $4,000. It was one year old, with a new MSRP price of $5699, so I decided to take it to the only two dealers that told me they would trade for the scooter to find out what the trade value is so that I would know how low to go on a private sell. The first dealer offered only $3,000 and wanted $600 above MSRP in dealer fees for the CTX700. They had a confirmed delivery date on the CTX, but it was in September. It was a white one.

The second dealer was Southern Honda. They offered $3500 for the scooter and didn't have cost information or a delivery date, but they promised no dealer fees and no more than MSRP on the new bike. Since these were my only two choices short of a successful private sale, I went ahead and put a deposit on one, because they were really my only choice short of a succesful private sale and all the dealers around here were getting the N models in one or two at a time, and I was getting tired of waiting and was afraid that if I didn't have a deposit, I would be stuck in this limbo for many, many months if I did not have one reserved.

My wife asked the sales manager if I could leave my scooter there and keep trying to sell it in the Chattanooga market, since I was having trouble in my rural market. He said yes. I kept the title and all the stock equipment that had been replaced with after market equipment and would have met any prospective buyer there with title and equipment to complete the transaction. I advertised the scooter all over the Chattanooga market. I got only a couple of offers after leaving it there, but no more than what I was getting in the trade. Since the trade gives a tax advantage, I never really got close to selling it, and I'd had it advertised since late May.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
In the end it sounds like things worked out great. My friend traveled to Southern Honda 2 years ago from VA Beach to buy a Wing and he had a great experience. Glad you are in business.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
gregsft, glad you finally got it. Now quit typing and go ride the crap out of it...lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea. I've commuted the last two days. Big difference from the scooter. Not getting banged around so much and so, so smooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts