CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys and Gals...
I had a Majesty (my first bike) last year that I was able to ride most of the winter due to very mild weather so not being ridden for a while was not a problem.

My question is what do I need to do with the CTX for the winter? Battery? Tires? Fuel? Other fluids?
The weather is already looking like there isn't going to be much riding in my near future.

The bike will be stored in the garage and out of weather. It usually only gets down to about 38-40 in the garage as it is an attached garage.

Thanks for your help!

Dalene

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and have to go through this every year, here's what I can recommend:

-Get some fuel stabilizer (I like the blue Stabil brand), put some in your tank and slosh it around a bit and fill up your tank with as much gas as you as you can. I've heard that less room in the tank means less chance of condensation.

-Get a Battery tender-type slow trickle charger. This will keep the battery charged more than 80% or so to prevent it from dying over the winter. Easiest thing to do is connect a lead to the battery and just plug it in to your bike without removing the battery itself and you're good till spring.

I have heard that you may want to put some wood or something on the floor below the tires if you have a concrete floor but I've never done this myself and never had a problem. You should be all set with the gas a battery to be fine till the spring.

·
Banned
463 Posts
What's with this winter stuff anyway????
Oh yeah, I live in AZ. Not as many storms as TX.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Cheap Ride, I hang a little tinsel on it at Xmas and sing Jingle Bells, then go lay out by the pool.
No, I am not giving you my address!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Phoenix here. Even in the dead of winter, I ride. The routine is: lots of gear in the morning; it all comes off in the afternoon; it all goes back on in the evening. LOL.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Getting the tires off the concrete is a good idea. getting the supported by stands would be even better is going to sit a few months.

I am switching from layers to electric gloves and jacket liner. I use boots, tall socks and leather over pants for the bottom half. I can now dial the temp I want. Never used them before after all these years but old joints like the heat now. I tested last week at 45 and it was sure better than layering up. By mid day they were in the saddlebags as it still has been warming up to 70-75 by 3pm. So when the day starts at 35 and it only warms to 45 I will be set.

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mind 35 in the mornings - but the last couple days have been 19 and 22 :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and have to go through this every year, here's what I can recommend:

-Get some fuel stabilizer (I like the blue Stabil brand), put some in your tank and slosh it around a bit and fill up your tank with as much gas as you as you can. I've heard that less room in the tank means less chance of condensation.

-Get a Battery tender-type slow trickle charger. This will keep the battery charged more than 80% or so to prevent it from dying over the winter. Easiest thing to do is connect a lead to the battery and just plug it in to your bike without removing the battery itself and you're good till spring.

I have heard that you may want to put some wood or something on the floor below the tires if you have a concrete floor but I've never done this myself and never had a problem. You should be all set with the gas a battery to be fine till the spring.
after adding the stabilizer and slosh it around, I give the engine a crank, adding the stabilizer to the reserve and pistons ,then fill the tank.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In Finland now around 0°C, we will see probably a few degrees warmer, but I already stored my CTX and will be back on the road in March.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stop throwing your warm winter weather in our faces.
We live here and its good.
Winter just gives us a better appreciation of where we live come spring and summer!!!!!
Haha, we don't have commies either. And I hope that your goverment buy now our ice breakers ;). It would be nice done.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's been a lot of years since I had to worry about this, living in Florida now. But in Chicago we would add fogging oil to the cylinders of any engine that would sit for a while. I'd actually be interested to know. Google results are mixed. Don't do it, do it, or it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Took my final ride of the season, filled up with premium with no ethanol (as I have for last 3 fill ups), added some stabil and tucked it away in the shed.

One other tip; I add a couple of drier sheets (like Bounce); apparently mice don't like the smell so I tuck them anywhere the little critters may want to explore. so far so good, no little nibbles or snipped wires.
I leave my cylinders the way they are. So far, never had any problems.

Once a month or so, will plug in teh battery tender: don't even bother removing it anymore.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are a ton of winter storage "things" that you could do.
What you do or dont do is up to you.
There is no right or wrong way.

You could even come home from the last ride of the year and just park it and leave it!
Now if you want to be able to start it quickly in the spring you need to pay attention to the battery!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts