CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys and Gals...
I had a Majesty (my first bike) last year that I was able to ride most of the winter due to very mild weather so not being ridden for a while was not a problem.

My question is what do I need to do with the CTX for the winter? Battery? Tires? Fuel? Other fluids?
The weather is already looking like there isn't going to be much riding in my near future.

The bike will be stored in the garage and out of weather. It usually only gets down to about 38-40 in the garage as it is an attached garage.

Thanks for your help!

Dalene

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Majesty

This doesn't address your topic, but find it interesting that I to went from a Majesty to Ctx. I guess this bike appeals to scooter riders more than I expected. Awesome, have fun with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can start it and let it run for about 10-15 minutes every 5 days to keep the battery charged and the fluids moving. If you maintain that you should be able to limp it through the winter. If you don't want to do that, find a battery tender to plug your bike in. 3 months sitting isn't going to spoil your gas or cause any issues with fluids.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Sorry Dolphin,
Running an engine for short periods of time as you recommend isn't a good thing.
Combustion byproducts such as moisture are generated and do not get burned off. This contaminates your oil.

CaseSteam,
If you search for "how to winterize your motorcycle" there are many valid suggestions available.
If it is not ridden at all gasoline additives are usually recommended, along with battery charging. Five minute running will not keep the battery charged.

Reactions: Effem Tee

·
Registered
842 Posts
IN AZ, we RIDE, RIDE, RIDE. Dress up in the morning; strip stuff off in the afternoon; put it all back on at night.

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
178 Posts
Battery tender, gas treatment in full tank. Ride it when sunny & dry.

Would not recommend starting and letting it run a few minutes , the draw on the battery is not replaced in that short of time. Takes a short ride at some speed to get the current up enough to recharge battery. Cover it with nice soft cloth too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why did this show up as a duplicate? I promise I didn't double post! I'm hoping it is warm enough and dry enough to get some riding in this winter...I hate the thought of parking it and not riding for many weeks...:(

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is something I've been spending time pondering since last winter myself. My commute is about 30 miles; one way; mostly highway (45-65 mph) with some winding roads near the end of my commute and one small town in between with some traffic lights. The whole commute is very rural and about 40 minutes each way. It's only the a.m commute that I'm concerned about and the area where I'd like to improve my experience.

I too had a maxi scooter last winter, and it was my first winter commuting on powered-two wheels. I bought a First Gear winter/rain suit (not armored) for about $180. That plus good quality leather work boots/winter socks, plus a little bit of layering underneath, and a good pair of winter riding gloves keeps me warm and dry down to about 34 degrees. The CTX is my first MC, and I'm finding so far, that even though the scooter provided a little more lower and upper body wind protection, it did not protect against the main problem with the cold any better as far as what I call the "limiting factor". The limiting factor has been, at least for me so far, my finger tips. At or about 34 degrees, I start feeling pain in my finger tips, and the problem gets worse the colder it is, and the rest of my body is fine; not uncomfortable at all. So if I want to ride in temps colder than about freezing, I've got to improve protection for my finger tips. I'm guessing, if I can solve this one problem, I should be good down to around the lower 20s for the morning commutes with no snow/sleet in the forecast. This could keep me riding at least a few times per month, even in the coldest months in TN, and then I'll not worry a bit about winterizing my bike or protecting it during storage. Maybe a battery tender in January and February, but that's about it. I sort of over did it last year with the battery tender. I did not realize, until I started riding, that even in the coldest months in TN, there will be some temperature breaks, and I think that's enough to keep the bike in good shape throughout the winter without taking storing precautions.

I've tried all different kind of layering and quality gloves; liners, no liners; muffs; shopping bags over my gloves, but none of these attempts at improving the comfort level have worked for me for my finger tips. The coldest I've ever ridden is about 25 degrees on a couple of occasions with different glove/muff combinations, and in each case, I had to stop a couple of times in my 40 minute commute to let my finger tips warm up.

I think I should stress that I'm an outdoor worker, so dealing with the cold and wearing layers throughout the day is something I must deal with anyway, so this makes my situation a little different than some, and also, since I'm already bundled up at work with thermals, etc., this lowers the aggravation somewhat with respect to bundling and unbundling. If I had an office job, I'd have to bundle up, then pretty much strip down and then partially bundle back up for the afternoon ride home. But this is not the case for me, since I'll wear those thermals and extra t-shirts all day anyway and won't burn up wearing them. I keep my outer coats and work gloves at work, so I can just trade my suit for a coat and my riding gloves for work gloves that are already there and I'm set up for working outside.

So for me, since I want to ride even down to the 20s, I need to solve the finger tip problem, and that leads me to only about three other choices to improve this situation, since I've tried about everything else, and all three of them are electric heating choices. I don't like having to go down this road, because: one--these heated options are expensive, and two--they're adding to the hassle of riding. The three choices I'm faced with are either, heated grips, heated gloves that wire in to one's bike charging system, or battery-powered heated gloves. I've decided to dive in to the third option only because it is the least hassle and because I need heat only for about one hour and twenty minutes per day (I don't need heat for touring).

The problem with battery-powered heated gloves is that these products have not yet been fully accepted by the riding public due to the fact that only recent advances in battery technology allow for acceptable levels of heat for acceptable periods of time without extreme bulkiness or packing batteries under one's chest (which is an added hassle), and there are very few well-respected products, and even with them: Venture, Mobile Warming, and Gerbing, and some British company that I can't remember, there are very few reviews. I'm leaning towards Mobile Warming, but Venture offers a heated liner that I could use with my current gloves. Only problem with the liner, it is just about as expensive, and so I might as well get the full, heated gloves. So I'm looking @ $200, even more if I go with Gerbing.

Any feedback or comments are welcome. Keep in mind, I'm still a relative newbie, so please feel free and critque and criticize my assumptions that may be wrong.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Any feedback or comments are welcome. Keep in mind, I'm still a relative newbie, so please feel free and critque and criticize my assumptions that may be wrong.
You say that but......when someone criticizes your philosophies you get irate, accusatory and threaten to quit posting any comments.
Well, that lasted about one day.
Yourrr back!

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
975 Posts
You say that but......when someone criticizes your philosophies you get irate, accusatory and threaten to quit posting any comments.
Well, that lasted about one day.
Yourrr back!
Do we really have to start this all over again...

I never got irate about anyone questioning any of my opinions or philosophies, or what like to call, assumptions, and I actually encourage that other members do so. This is the only way I can learn more about things that I know very little about and that happens to be most things MC related.

Yes it's true I threatened to quit posting and commenting...but I stated that I may do this for a while, and yes it was a while; not one day, and I've been back for more than one day, and I was never really gone; I just quit posting opinion-based posts. I wanted to think about what I had done to turn so many against anything that I was posting and was causing reactions from so many, and I realized my mistake, and that was to think I could try to sway this forum one direction or another, and that I was being a little too passionate and defensive about it. I have decided to stay clear of ever becoming defensive or persuasive towards steering the group ever again.

Again, just to state it one last time (and I know I'm making a mistake by once again becoming defensive, however, I'm constantly being prodded on the matter), I got irate that many members on here seemed to be communicating that it's okay to allow others to take conversations and/or debates out of the context of the subject matter at hand and turn them into personal critiques and even to the point of allowing personal attacks on one another. I was hoping, as I've stated before, that this would be a more civil forum than others forums of this type, and that we would not allow threads to slip into the personal realm as this one now has become.

However, I'd prefer not to get into discussions back and forth yet again over what some of us want/expect and don't want/ don't expect from this forum and what level constitutes a personal attack. I think it's already been well covered and the horse has been beaten pretty badly already. There has been one thread on here since my rant that had been so poorly received wherein, even though I had no part in it, there was a comment made and tempers flared, and we lost a member. In this particular thread, HD Enters New Market...the moderator made a statement on the appropriateness of dissenting views and where lines should be drawn and his view on this subject is good enough for me, and I feel I have no enforcement role in this sort of thing, so this will be my last post on that point.

Further poking me of this nature, whether it's just for his own personal entertainment or a legitimate complaint, won't work for getting a rise out of me, but it should be obvious to everyone that I'm being poked at; not sure why, but If it's brought up again, I'll ignore it. Those who wish to add to the discussion or simply just read and learn from others' opinions, please do so. Those who are still holding a grudge over my former over reach, please just let it go or just skip my posts, but it should be known that I'm not going there ever again like I did when I made the mistake that I eluded to above.

So as my last words on this, If I decide to quit posting comments, quit the forum, or stop posting my opinions due to the forum becoming too mean spirited or to "in your face" than I am personally willing to tolerate, that will be decided without me asking anything of this group. I've learned from my previous attempt that this was not a smart move for me to ask for a higher standard and for me to get defensive when attacked. I could have asked this from the moderator or the perpetrator in a PM and that would have been better. I made the erroneous assumption that most others would want this same high standard and most would recognize a comment as a personal attack the same way I did, and was surprised by the reaction I got asking that a personal attack be deleted. I thought most would also want and expect this high standard of conduct, and that was a bad assumption. I now realize it's up to the leadership, and the group as a whole. If the subject is brought up again, I will not enter the conversation.

Now back to the thread...It's about wintertime riding. Everyone's opinion is totally welcomed by me, and I hope by everyone else. No one will make me mad even if someone suggests that I ride in the nude and just tough it out. If I continue to receive personal critiques, whether continually by this same member or others who join in, I will not comment on them in the future. I feel they are hurtful to the discussions, but that's my opinion, but, as it has already been established, I've got a higher standard than some others with respect to what constitutes personal attacks and inappropriate dissent.

·
Banned
463 Posts
gregsfc, you talk too much.

Reactions: Rebel13
1 - 15 of 15 Posts