CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if you don't own the make/model of motorcycle that matches the forum, why do you belong to it?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I signed up for another CTX forum, but forget the name and can't find the link. I read other forums without joining for bikes or brands such as the V Strom, BMW, Indian and Triumph. I like the bikes, and, like here, there are good people with lots of knowledge and I hope some little tidbits will be absorbed by osmosis.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I joined this forum about 5 months after i got my first CTX700.. I have learned much, and I actually love hearing from others all over the country, and world, about their experiences.
I have been able to buy a few things here from other members, and I have even sold something to a member that needed it and I was done with it.
But I have been riding since 1972 and have lots of experience in all sorts of situations. And I love to try and help others through my experience. This forum allows me that opportunity.
So, if you are in Houston, or in Australia I might be able to answer a question, either general or specific.
I have two son-in-laws and a daughter that ride. And they are constantly asking me something, and then telling me I should write it down.

I know that our Moderator, "V" above, feels the same way. Or he would just be a spectator.

So, since I don't ride long distance any longer, and I really spend more time with family rather than other riders, I do love this forum, so I can have a virtual "family" to share with.
Thanks again,
and keep the rubber side down!
Rossi

p.s. My wife is still the greatest passenger and riding companion I have ever know.
Companion. not just riding. yeah.....................

·
Registered
570 Posts
I own a VFR and a CTX, recently sold an NC700, and am strongly considering an NC750. I want a CanAm too. I belong to a lot of forums and groups.

Reasons why someone would belong to this forum as a non owner:

Prospective owner.

Owns another bike (e.g NC700) that shares essentially interchangeable parts and thus presents the same problems.

Built virtual and sometimes personal relationships with others...this is just social media with a single common interest...just like a Facebook group.

General interest in Honda MCs or motorcycles in general.

It's a really unique bike. ( Similar to volvo 200, Tarbant, Mini, Citroen with it's followers)

People who love it...really love it (my wife...it's her bike, she wants more HP, we can afford whatever she wants, but she will not part with it).

·
Registered
269 Posts
In addition to this forum I also still belong to a Honda Shadow forum, though I haven't logged on for a couple of years. It is a good bunch of people and I had a few connections there. That is the only other brand/model forum I ever joined.

I also belong to an Adventure oriented forum which is not brand/model specific. While I hardly consider my riding to fall into the "Adventure" world, I love to go moto/flyfishing/camping on the bike, as well as some good long rides for just the sake of riding. That forum provides a wealth of ideas and information that applies to my riding and camping. I've never been given any grief over riding a non-adventure style bike. It's a bizarrely diverse group of people. The Ride Reports section is entertaining, touching, educational, and inspiring.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
420 Posts
I frequent the Motorcycle Sports Touring Association forum on Facebook, to see what kinds of touring tips and interesting rides I can check out or try out. It's not model-specific, or even type-specific, but obviously most of its members ride sports-tourers, which I consider the CTX700DCT closest to and best suited for. Although I participate on the forum, I'm not a member.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I am on an Indian motorcycle forum and this one. Had a C for about 6 years but gave it to my son and bought a Scout. I stay on this site because the members on here are a great bunch a lot of information is gleaned. I feel at times I can contribute to some of the questions about the CTX and help others out at times. When I bought the Scout I was thinking about the Rebel 1100, but at the time there was no timline when it would arrive in Canada. In hindsight maybe I should have waited but I am very happy with the Scout. It has loads of power and rides and handles much better than the C. If at some time it doesn't stand up as far as Honda reliability I may sell it and look at the Rebel. I feel it doesn't matter what you ride, all bikers are like a brotherhood.

·
Super Moderator
3,240 Posts
I signed up for another CTX forum, but forget the name and can't find the link. I read other forums without joining for bikes or brands such as the V Strom, BMW, Indian and Triumph. I like the bikes, and, like here, there are good people with lots of knowledge and I hope some little tidbits will be absorbed by osmosis.
I'm on several different bike forums and have been since 2006. The one you are thinking of is Honda CTX700 Forum that I, you & and a small number of other of our forum belong to as well. It has less than 1000 members (a small fraction of our number here) and can go weeks in between new messages being posted. Very quiet indeed, but just as friendly and civil as is tends to be here (once politics is left out of it). 😎

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
For the ones in signature.

Reactions: Essayons

·
Premium Member
1966 C200 / 1966 S65 / 1979 CB750K / 1982 CT110 / 2016 CSC RX3 / 2018 CSC TT250
88 Posts
Joined for the camaraderie and knowledge offered. I don't have life long riding experience like many of you. I can probably tell you more about the workings of a locomotive than I can a motorcycle. Mechanically I will not shy away from anything on a bike. I will however interrogate all of you to ensure my chances of success. This forum has been invaluable to me thus far.
I am member of the following forums:

Honda Push-rod OHV Singles
Honda CTX700 usa
Honda NC700X, CTX700, CTX700N, CTX1300, NM4, & DN-01 Fans/Owners
Honda 6 Volt
Honda CT 90 Owners
Vintage Honda Motorcycle Owners of America
CSC TT250 Owners Group
CSC RX3, RX4 & RX6 Owners USA
CSC Motorcycle Owners Group
Yamaha Two Strokes 1955-1979 (It's my dream to own a street legal two stroke someday. In the meantime I'm learning all I can about them. So far Yamaha two strokes attract me the most.)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Joined for the camaraderie and knowledge offered. I don't have life long riding experience like many of you. I can probably tell you more about the workings of a locomotive than I can a motorcycle. Mechanically I will not shy away from anything on a bike. I will however interrogate all of you to ensure my chances of success. This forum has been invaluable to me thus far.
I am member of the following forums:

Honda Push-rod OHV Singles
Honda CTX700 usa
Honda NC700X, CTX700, CTX700N, CTX1300, NM4, & DN-01 Fans/Owners
Honda 6 Volt
Honda CT 90 Owners
CSC TT250 Owners Group
CSC RX3, RX4 & RX6 Owners USA
CSC Motorcycle Owners Group
Yamaha Two Strokes 1955-1979 (It's my dream to own a street legal two stroke someday. In the meantime I'm learning all I can about them. So far Yamaha two strokes attract me the most.)
Do you work on / with locomotive engines for work or as a hobby? My uncle was a train fanatic. He built 8 scale model steam engines and has about 1/4 mile of track at his place up north. His was involved in the refurbishing of the steam engine used in The National Dream, from the 1970s (He took me to the Toronto Roundhouse to see some of the work; at the same time the CN Tower was being built right beside it using various slip forms..today the Roundhouse is home to Steam Whistle brewery).

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Do you work on / with locomotive engines for work or as a hobby? My uncle was a train fanatic. He built 8 scale model steam engines and has about 1/4 mile of track at his place up north. His was involved in the refurbishing of the steam engine used in The National Dream, from the 1970s (He took me to the Toronto Roundhouse to see some of the work; at the same time the CN Tower was being built right beside it using various slip forms..today the Roundhouse is home to Steam Whistle brewery).
I do heavy repairs on locomotives for Union Pacific in West Colton, California. Never had a chance to work in steam engines. Would be nice though. Tonight I’m working on installing a new power assembly on a tier 4 EMD SD70AH.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That is some heavy duty work. I can see why you have no problem jumping into all aspects of service and repair on the CTX My uncle had to make every single piece for his engines himself. Precision work that he found relaxing due to need to concentrate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I do heavy repairs on locomotives for Union Pacific in West Colton, California. Never had a chance to work in steam engines. Would be nice though. Tonight I’m working on installing a new power assembly on a tier 4 EMD SD70AH. View attachment 87576
Jealous. I wish I had your skills. Very cool. You could hide a CTX in that compartment!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
[/QUOTE]
... My uncle had to make every single piece for his engines himself. Precision work that he found relaxing due to need to concentrate.
I am jealous of your uncle. It can be a labor of love for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I joined this one because I own an nc700x which is a brother to the ctx 700 (basically same bike). I am a member of the nc700-forum, adventure forum (I ride a lot, over 200,000 miles since beginning of 2007), volusia forum because I own a suzuki c50, Kawasaki forum due to I own a Kawasaki klx250sf, bmw forum due to I used to own a BMW G650gs, gz250 forum due to I used to own a gz250 (first bike I bought in 2007 when I got back into riding after a 25+ year hiatus).

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I joined this one because I own an nc700x which is a brother to the ctx 700 (basically same bike). I am a member of the nc700-forum, adventure forum (I ride a lot, over 200,000 miles since beginning of 2007), volusia forum because I own a suzuki c50, Kawasaki forum due to I own a Kawasaki klx250sf, bmw forum due to I used to own a BMW G650gs, gz250 forum due to I used to own a gz250 (first bike I bought in 2007 when I got back into riding after a 25+ year hiatus).
Nice stable you got there David. Do you use the 650 for longer adventure rides and the klx for shorter ones?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice stable you got there David. Do you use the 650 for longer adventure rides and the klx for shorter ones?
I bought the Suzuki new in Oct 2007 with 1 mile on the odo...now has 102,000+ miles (ridden from Indiana to KeyWest in 2 days). Bought the NC700x new in July 2013, now has 54,000+ miles...Did my butt burner 1000 mile ride in 17 hours on it-my go to bike to ride from Indiana to the Smokies once a year. Bought the 2009 KLX250sf new in Mar 2011, it only has 4000+ miles-I keep this one in storage in Florida (outside of Williston) when I go there 3 times a year...I ride it on the back roads of central/gulf coast of Florida-farthest north I have been is Cross city, farthest south is Homossasa, ride to Cedar Key at least 1 time each time I am in Florida-farthest east has been to Palatka. I would ride it more but a 2x4 oak board would be more comfortable than that seat (and I have an airhawk pad on it)....I had a bmw g650gs I bought new in 2009, it had 33,000+ miles on it when I traded it for the 2013 NC700x. I started back riding after a 25 year hiatus in spring of 2007 with a 2006 Suzuki gz250 (I bought in Mar 2007) , which I put 11,000 miles on by Oct 2007 (when I bought the C50). Before covid, I commuted to work (now working from home) in the spring, summer, fall and somedays in the winter on the bikes and my commute is 80 miles round trip...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts