CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my tire air pressure and front read 27 and rear 24. They are low and I can't find my manual. What is the correct pressure for the tires?? I have Michelins on. I did a search on the forum and one post recommended 36 front and 38 back. Is this correct? Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Rear recommended to me by shop and I think even in the manual (always read the manual) was; Rear: 36-38 for regular loads (165-185 pound rider), two up and rider over 200 pounds is 42 pounds.
Front: 36

Reactions: joesmoe3

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If either is below 34, you can expect aggressive and uneven tire wear to occur.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Both tires are recommended by Honda at 36, the rear should be 42 if you are over 200 lbs total carry weight. Not just the rider but consider any cargo you regularly carry as well.

Reactions: joesmoe3 and LoJo

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Depends on the tires used! Each tire tells you the max cold air pressure on the sidewall. For instance, both of mine say 42. While the tires are unused for some time, that is a cold tire, I read and fill if needed when cold to 42, real easy. You can always go a little lower than max for a slightly softer ride, but this can also lead to more wear.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Tire Pressure is on the bike swing arm!

If you haven't removed the sticker that come on the bike the tire pressure is in one of those stickers on the left swing arm. I posted a picture in my gallery of all stickers if you don't have them. Some tires have the PSI molded in the side walls.

Jimmy H.
AKA Spirit IV in the Gallery

I checked my tire air pressure and front read 27 and rear 24. They are low and I can't find my manual. What is the correct pressure for the tires?? I have Michelins on. I did a search on the forum and one post recommended 36 front and 38 back. Is this correct? Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I am a little over 200 pounds I work out. I will get them aired up immediately. I think I will go with 36 front and 42 on the back. I didn't see any recommendations on air pressure on the sidewalls of the tires. I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Honda recommends 36 psi front, 36 psi rear (under 200 lbs. carry weight including rider/cargo/accessories), 42 psi rear (over 200 lbs. carry weight including rider/cargo/accessories), 42 psi rear anytime carrying a passenger.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I am a big boy and my wife and i ride two up a lot. I try to keep the rear at around 42, front at 35-36.
I check it regularly, like every two weeks. If I ride and it feels like it's "plowing" then I'll check when I get home.
I am in no way a performance rider, so I have a wide "acceptable" range.
It really is not an issue.
These OEM tires are actually pretty good from what I have experienced.
I might think about the Michelin's when the time comes, but I kinda like these.
I have no real complaints.
I started reading this post and then my wife and I went for a joyride for about half an hour. I checked the tires before i left and the front was 33 and the rear was about 32. So I topped both of them.
But I really did not feel any difference from the last time we rode.
So, this bike is very forgiving. Find a tire pressure that works for you. And then, don't agonize over it, just check it regularly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just a comment. Went for a ride the other day, about 150 miles one way. I had checked my tire pressure before I left.with the Michelins, I very seldom have to add air. Mine are at 36 and forty. I am 173 lbs but I moved my seating position back 8 inches and with my side bags I figure it would be in the range of 200 lbs. Never checked this before but was thinking about the tires on a hot day. Stopped stopped around 150 miles and was surprised thst the tire pressure on the rear tire was at 49 lbs. Front was only up about 3 lbs. I double checked the rear to be sure. Not really concerned but that seemed to be a pretty high rear tire pressure. Any comments ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's hot out there right now. I wouldn't sweat it :)

Reactions: hondabum
1 - 17 of 17 Posts