CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading what others are saying about the CTX700 being slow. I just wonder what the 0-60 times are like so we can get some comparisons going to determine how fast or slow the Honda CTX700 really is.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Funny how you brought this up I was actually looking for the opposite 60-0 time for the CTX700 single disc rotor discussion. I guess we can look at NC700's results since they both are very very similar. Both of them share the same weight, frame and engine so the times shouldn't be too far off. The Honda NC700 0-60 time is a sluggish 5.4 seconds, while other bikes in this class yield times under four seconds. I wonder how different the CTX700's time will run.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Times i have read for the NC700X is;
0-60 in 4.9 sec
1/4 time is 13.86 @ 94.23mph

60-0 brake test is 115.8 feet, that is better Braking than my Vstrom 1000

Power to weight is 9.25 lbs per H.P.

The 700cc CTX700 & NX700 bike is by no means sluggish or slow,

It also is not a Dragster like my Vstrom 1000 was.

But I dont want or need a bike like that.

My NC700X is fast enough to get you a ticket or thrown in jail.

A bike like the NC700X or CTX needs at least 10K miles on it to break in fully, and release its maximum potential.

·
Registered
46 Posts
0-60 in 4.9 sec

A bike like the NC700X or CTX needs at least 10K miles on it to break in fully, and release its maximum potential.
Great! Thanks for all the info. I had no idea the power to weight ratio on the Honda CTX700 was 9.25 LBS per Hp. That is still an impressive number in my mind never would of thought a CTX700 could get you in that much trouble :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
That power to weight ratio is based on 472-lbs at 51 h.p.

that is for a manual trans, (auto trans with abs brakes weighs in at around 505-lbs) auto trans & abs is at 9.90 lbs per H.P. and bike for USA has 51H.P. other countries i have seen do not get the full 51 h.p.

also any added accessories will reduce your power to weight ratio.

1969 corvette 350h.p. hipo engine at 3520-lbs has a power to weight ratio of 10.06 lbs per h.p.

New Honda Civic 2855-lbs and 140-h.p. per to weight is 20.39 lbs per h.p.

Now that said, if someone wanted to make their CTX or NC700 more of a faster bike off the line, than a just change a sprocket, then you could get quicker 0-60 times.

This would probably also change your Mileage

I am very satisfied with my NC700X, and it is no where near broken in yet

·
Registered
124 Posts
2012 Honda Civic 0-60, in 8.8-sec, and 16.6 quarter mile
2012 Honda Civic SI Coupe 0-60 6.4 sec, 14.7 qtr
2011 Honda Fit Hybrid 0-60, in 9.1-sec

2012 Honda NC700X 0-60 in 4.9sec., & 13.86 @ 94.23 Qtr mile
fast enough to loose your license and go to jail,

Plus my 1st tank I got 80mpg US gallons

CTX should be same as NC

You have to re-learn how to ride a bike, with the CTX and NC and tap in to it's strengths, this will take a couple weeks of getting use to Riding with torque rather than H.P.

The engine has good power, the difference is there is no top end high rpm adrenalin rush

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are you tube videos of the NC700 doing wheelies

They also have a video of them skidding the tires with the brakes

·
Registered
124 Posts
One other thing I should mention about these bikes.

They are very good handling bikes.

The weight is so low they feel very light, and have very good handling,

It feels like a much smaller bike, like maybe a 400 sized bike as far as weight and balance but it has the weight to make it feel like a bigger bike for comfort going down the freeway, thank you Honda great job

Most roads are not straight line flat roads.

These bike's can take turns rather fast if you wanted to do that kind of thing

Give your self at least a couple of weeks to get used to riding this different riding bike, it takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it it is really a nice riding bike.

Riding this bike for one day does not do it justice, you need to get used to riding it by using it's torque not by top end HP

·
Registered
975 Posts
This thread is almost comical for someone coming from the auto and scooter world. I've got an '06 VW TDI diesel with only 100 horsepower and 0-60 in 11.5, but no one is blowing by me in the city while accelerating. I move along with regular traffic just fine, and I'm not even pushing it to keep up, but in a drag race, I'd do terribly, beating out only the Prius2 and the Ford Ranger 4 banger, but that sort of driving never comes in to play. Driving on hilly and winding roads, however, which is very frequent in my work commute, I see very few drivers that can stay with me with peak torque always on tap in my diesel.

I sort of see the 700 power plant that way; 5 seconds to 60 is plenty fast on any public street, with any vehicle, but I guess if you're used to an MC that continues to build power and torque way on up into the RPM range, you might not like the performance of the CTX or NCX. I personally don't like the sound or feel or the delay, waiting for the high revs to get power and torque. I like all the good stuff to happen down low. I don't worry about my vehicle running out of steam at high RPM, because I've already gotten the vehicle to do what I want it to do without hearing a screaming engine.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I hear ya' Greg. I live in Texas, Land of the Fast. I just don't see how drag racing on city streets that are only patched not repaired would even be fun. I agree about the Ford Ranger, I have seen motorized wheelchairs that could beat those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
snip
5 seconds to 60 is plenty fast on any public street, with any vehicle, but I guess if you're used to an MC that continues to build power and torque way on up into the RPM range, you might not like the performance of the CTX or NCX.
snip
You've described me to a T. I want a bike that will just about rip my arms out of their sockets during acceleration. :D Which is why I ride a FJR1300 that has almost 100 ft/lbs of torque from 2k all the way up to redline at about 9k. But not everyone is as crazy as me, so there's definitely a market for the CTX700 for riders like my wife that don't feel the need for extreme speed.

One of the reviews of the NC700 was from Motorcyclist magazine and they mentioned slamming into the rev limiter in manual shift mode due to their expectation that the engine would rev higher before requiring a shift. I'm pretty sure that Honda could have easily designed the CTX700 engine to rev higher, but that would lower the fuel economy of the bike. Obviously they didn't design this bike for drag racers. ;)

Because I hot rod around on my FJR, I usually get 36-37 mpg in mixed city/hwy riding. I also have a Power Commander that modifies the fuel injection map and results in higher fuel consumption. But to show how much of a difference it makes to keep the revs low, I actually can increase my mileage by almost 10mpg when I ride with a slow crowd. Riding with a slow crowd involves slow acceleration from stops where grandma's on the way to church beat us off the line and not exceeding the speed limit. No adrenaline rush, but if your goal is great fuel economy then it's the way to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to want a bike that was really fast, only went by cycle specs when buying a bike if one spec. out did another spec., that one was out.

the best spec WON!!! or series of high performance specs Won.

Some bikes cannot be ridden slow, they buck, and cough, and surge, and cannot be ridden slow comfortably at all.

I have owned a few bikes like that, they must be ridden FASST!! to be somewhat ride-able.

Now I like a Bike that can be ridden really well slow, and comfort is going to the top of the list

Riding a Fasssst bike inappropriately Fassst,

can reduce your reaction time to think
and reaction time in general

I have had more than 30 motorcycles in my riding career, some were very fasst,

Fast bikes make you want to ride them fast.

Well we all grow up and mature, maybe some close calls do it, an accident of a friend or someone close.

I have had 7 deer shoot out from behind some trees that were close to the road just barely missed them

I had a dog run out in front of me he came out from in front of a car, almost nailed him, this has happened a few times

I have gone around many switchbacks to find gravel out on the road, and the bike gets upset, squirrelly, and unsettled when traction is lost.

Had a vehicle stopped around a blind curve, friend totaled his bike that way, but survived.

Car made left turn in front of another friend had a compound break below the knee, bone was sticking out of the leg and was loose from the leg, they took it to the hospital and put it back in, drilled a hole in his heel put in a pin to hold a sand bag for 6 months of traction while the leg healed.

I have a few other friends including myself riding to FAASST!! could not quite make the turn, went off roading, if you do not have enough braking to slow enough before the turn, bike will become off balanced

I have learned to slow down, the CTX700 & NC700 are both plenty fast enough, to get you a ticket and get your license revoked.

I looked at the FJR1300 was thinking about it when i bought my Vstrom 1000, saw some you tubes of several to quite a few guys go down on those bikes.

sold the 09' Vstrom to get a 12' NC700X, Much happier with the NC700X

Also sold a M109R it was fast but it did NOT ride well slow like commuting or parking lot, or gas station

·
Registered
256 Posts
Some 1/4 mile times of older bikes

0-60 in 4.9 sec

Motorcyclist Magazine June 1981 issue tested a number of "middleweight" bikes - no 0-60 times but the XS650 Special II 1/4 mile result was 13.87 sec and 93.8 mph.

FYI the rest were BMW R65 13.94/91.5 Honda CX500D 13.93/92.9 Honda GL500 13.97/92.1 Kawasaki KZ550 13.55/94.1 Suzuki GS650G 13.05/95.0 Yamaha XJ550R 13.18/98.0 Yamaha XJ650 12.76/104.3

They also did a roll-on acceleration test over 200 yards from 50 mph in top gear - XS650 speed was 68.3 mph (second lowest) - speeds ranged from 67.0 to 71.7 (XJ650)

The XS650 won in price though, only $2099 (BMW $3995!) and second in fuel economy 52.1 mpg

This was a tour comparison test and all the bikes had handlebar mounted windshields fitted.:):)

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I actually question the 5.2 0-60 time stated in the article so often quoted as fact. The time trial was done on a bike with just under 100 miles of break in by a rider who admitted he had little riding time on the bike.

My own testing on the CTX700 DCT with the Cee Bailey,without luggage and in sport mode consistently at 4.2 0-60 time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never measured it; however I've pushed the bike hard enough on a freeway on-ramp so that I can match the speed of traffic without worrying about getting rear ended. In my opinion it's fast enough for me in comparison to my old 04 Shadow 600.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Affordable All-Around Commuter Adventure Bikes- Comparison Test: BMW F700GS vs. Honda NC700X DCT ABS vs. Kawasaki Versys vs. Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS.

HONDA NC700X DCT ABS SPECIFICATIONS
Base price: $8999
Dry weight (as tested): 502 lb.
Wheelbase: 60.5 in.
Seat height: 32.0 in.
Fuel mileage: 58 mpg
0-60 mph: 5.4 sec.
1/4-mile: 14.34 sec. @ 90.77 mph
Horsepower: 48.0 @ 6140 rpm
Torque: 43.7 ft.-lb. @ 4680 rpm
Top speed: 100 mph

Compared to my 1100's seat of the pants feeling, this seems about right. Some reports claim even better numbers, but then that depends on a number of things, such as rider weight and so on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The CTX is a great bike and plenty fast enough. For those that bought the bike as a 0 - 60 machine I only ask one question -- What were you thinking ??
If you ever want to see what a 0 - 60 speed looks like you can come over to my place about 2 in the morning and try to pet my rottweiler.
Either he or you will break a new speed record (my money is on the pup). :nerd: Have a good day and be safe out there.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I've never measured it; however I've pushed the bike hard enough on a freeway on-ramp so that I can match the speed of traffic without worrying about getting rear ended. In my opinion it's fast enough for me in comparison to my old 04 Shadow 600.
My faster bike is much better at getting to the right speed quickly. With the CTX I just have to plan ahead a little more and accelerate a little sooner.

Speaking of planning ahead...

Like some members here I drove a semi for a short while and I was trained to look far ahead for traffic conditions. I do the same thing when driving a car or a bike, unfortunately many drivers seem to be just aware of what's only near them.

For instance, let's say you're at a light and it's about to turn green, but a block ahead is another light that is about to turn red. When my light goes green I don't nail the accelerator, instead I moderate my speed so I don't have to slam on the brakes at the next light.

Or... If I'm on the Interstate with heavy traffic and a quarter mile ahead traffic is beginning to slow, I begin slowing down before I reach that point.

The point is that by looking way ahead I can prepare for any traffic conditions ahead of me that I will be approaching rather than be in the thick of things and have to react quickly.

The downside is that other drivers aren't always aware of what's happening ahead of them and so they don't always understand why I'm not not getting with the program (so to speak).

Well, that should be as clear as mud!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
In my unofficial test 0 to 60 was about 5 seconds.

I'm not exactly light at 240 pounds and I didn't run it to redline - but close. I started and my observer started the watch and then I tapped the brakes at 60, which was the signal to stop the watch. Not exactly scientific, but a starting point.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hadn't really considered tracking it, but consider that in first gear i've reached speeds of 40-45 mph on my DCT, I suppose it's reasonably fast for its size/weight to HP ratio.
I've hit the red line a few times aggressively accelerating onto the freeway.

I will say after nearly 6k miles of riding if you're not having situations where brute force acceleration is the difference between life and death the CTX700 is awesome. For me, it is not quite fast enough during acceleration to comfortably get me away from some of the idiots on the road who show no consideration for my safety, their safety or anyone else's while on the road.

Reactions: steven111
1 - 20 of 30 Posts