CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding 45 years with 14 bikes under my belt so when I spotted the 700 CTX with a fairing I was interested. I took a manual and an automatic CTX out for a spin. Being 6'3" my knees don't clear the fairing. The rear brake is useless, it's a chain drive, the seat looks cool but is thin and like a board and $9,500 for a useless fairing with no storage is just plain crazy. Add saddlebags a taller windshield (not tall enough) a rack and cheesey backrest for another $2 grand , wahhhht. :eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
If a dealer is asking $9500.00 for a ctx700d without accessories you are being taken to the cleaners. Mrsp is $8799.00 and many have paid much less then that. I bought a white manual with rack, bags, back rest, and Cee Bailey vented shield along with a battery tender all out the door for $8700.00 Free delivery too.

It sounds like you don't like the bike, perhaps its not for you.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Guess you caught caught up in the color cause it sounds like you don't like the CTX.
You do need a CeeBailey windshield, a Corbin seat, along with the saddlebags and probably some knee surgery to shorten your legs but otherwise you'll be okay.
Plus you don't need the rear brake since the front one works great.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I've been riding 45 years with 14 bikes under my belt so when I spotted the 700 CTX with a fairing I was interested. I took a manual and an automatic CTX out for a spin. Being 6'3" my knees don't clear the fairing. The rear brake is useless, it's a chain drive, the seat looks cool but is thin and like a board and $9,500 for a useless fairing with no storage is just plain crazy. Add saddlebags a taller windshield (not tall enough) a rack and cheesey backrest for another $2 grand , wahhhht. :eek:
well there are tall guys here riding this bike so maybe they can help with that....rear brake works great for me, ever try the rear brake on a Concours 14?.....chain drive will not leave you stranded like a final drive unless YOU neglect it......I have no problem with the seat unless riding over 100 miles and the Air Hawk solves that, what stock seat is comfortable for more than 100 miles?????....my saddlebag order I just received shipment for was less that $750.00 with FREE SHIPPING for my CTX700 Fairing Model which already has the inner supports. That included the mounts, bags, and painted covers. My Cee Bailey was about 230 because I wanted the vent but a great shield can be had for about 165, add the rack for 270 and that is still less that $1200.........DO NOT PAY RETAIL

·
Banned
463 Posts
I've been riding 45 years with 14 bikes under my belt :eek:
Okay Mr. Principle, what were the last several bikes you owned?
Just curious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for your input. I recommend you go buy the most expensive indian made and not look back. Seriously, you signed up to post this?

·
Registered
329 Posts
try the NON fairing model 700N. I am 6'1" and a big guy, and it is WAAAAAAY more comfortable than my old VTX1800C. That bike was for big guys, but way too heavy. Much happier with CTX700N. This bike is a light cruiser and super commuter. It's not for everyone. I have had 8 bikes and ridden for 25 years. 3 bikes is optimal, so you don't rely on just one to do everything (like I am doing for another 5 years).

Haven't you ever heard the word "farkle"? Ya gotta customize it for you. I have taken my CTX700N on some fire roads (because ALL motorcycles are sport utility vehicles). I financed my CTX and even included the warranty. Most motorcyclists add $2000-$3000 worth of crap to their bike as long as they own it. I have with all my bikes. It's about love and passion, and making it your own. I AM HAN SOLO, building the Millennium Falcon (already done that with an F350 truck, two RV's, a Suzuki Burgman 400S, a KLR650, a Suzuki Boulevard C90, and my last bike a VTX1800C).

Go sit on the NC700X and see how that feels. Too tall for me and I don't prefer the standard riding position with feet underneath me. But if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would add an NC700X DCT, a VFR1200 DCT, and of course... a 2014 Polaris Indian Chief!!! Inside my new house with separate 6 car garage!

Reactions: Rebel13

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought the rear brake was not sufficient but after about 600 or 700 miles it broke in and works just fine for me. I am average size so this bike is perfect for me but at a base price of $6999 for the naked version you can add a lot of enhancements. For @ 3 years I was going to buy the Suzuki 650 Vstrom and went to the dealer to buy it last July. The CTX caught my eye and I sat on it. It was very obvious that Honda was thinking of me when they designed it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts

I think Honda accomplished exactly what they set out to do with this bike. I don't think it's aimed for someone who's been riding for 45 years.

I am 29 and have always wanted a motorcycle and knew I wanted a cruiser. Being a shorter guy at 5'7" I found most bikes to be intimidating. Most were also priced out of my affordability range and the 'old school' chrome and styling of most cruisers didn't appeal to me.

I fell in love with the CTX700N the first time I laid my eyes on it. The low seat height, sporty all black look, mellow sound, and low MSRP had me hooked. I bought my first bike, a black CTX700N mere weeks after first noticing it and Honda has made me a rider for life. Yeah, the 670CCs doesn't put out impressive power but it's more than enough for a novice rider like myself, maybe too much to be honest.

I now have much more appreciation for all motorcycles and will most definitely be looking at other Honda bikes when I am ready to upgrade to a bigger bike. My only real complaint is what a pain it is to access and use the helmet lock underneath the seat, real aggravating in low light conditions.

·
Banned
463 Posts
My only real complaint is what a pain it is to access and use the helmet lock underneath the seat, real aggravating in low light conditions.
If you want a simpler way to lock your helmet check out ww.helmetlok.com.
Their lock is a lot easier to use than the under the seat lock.
Small enough to fit in ther storage space by the filler cap.

Reactions: mandavdle

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
I never used any stock or after market helmet lock ever! In fact I usually remove the stupid mechinisms. I sit it on the bike, where usually on the seat bottom down. All situations are different, but excessive time away from bike, fear of loss or weather conditions, bring it with you! Usually people won't touch it or the bike, for common fear of fault of damage. I never had a helmet stolen, I did have a child drop one once at work and the wind blew it off once, both where my fault. I don't blow money on expensive helmets anymore either, it's a waist! If you do, take it with you! I have more fear of someone messing with a helmet locked or not in an open position. Imagine going to it and it is filled with something, use your imagination?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think it's aimed for someone who's been riding for 45 years.
The bike is not intended for a veteran rider in his prime. Honda is marketing it for a younger crowd. The styling is not "cool" for the older bikers. Honda is hoping it's the new "cool" for the younger folks.

But the CTX can be great for an older rider with bad knees. When I busted my knee last month, I couldn't even sit with my leg on the foot peg of my big tourer. But I was able to ride the CTX daily until the knee loosened up.

I know many guys who moved from Sport/Touring bikes to high-end scooters when they got older. Many Gold Wingers have moved to trikes as their knees, hips, and backs weakened with age. At some point, the need to ride outweighs the need to look cool.

The CTX700 is being marketed as an entry level bike. But it is excellent for the rider who wants to keep going in his seventies.

I'm still in my prime with 40 years of experience, but I love the CTX700. It costs half the price of a big tourer, it is much easier to handle in a parking lot than a tall Sport/Tourer, and it handles better on the road than a heavy cruiser. It's good for hundreds of miles per day with a good aftermarket windshield.

The CTX is one of the best all-round street bikes I've ever owned. On those days when I couldn't climb onto the tourer, the CTX still got me to work on time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I went to the dealer to compare the NC700X, the CTX700 and the CTX700N. My heart at the time was the NC....until I sat on it and then tried to get off. My 66 year old leg just didn't have that kick I used to have and it became well evident that as I age, that kick is only going to get worse. :)

I'm planning on a ride in the next couple of weeks where the dealer will let me ride the CTX700 and the CTX770N from his dealership to my home. From that I can decide which I like better. He has both models with DCT. I was surprised since this will add about 20 miles to each. He has both sitting in the display area ready to go the door for rides. It will be interesting to see the mileage on each, but looking at the tires they look as if they haven't seen a road as of yet. I'm leaning on the CTX700 side at this point with the thought that it will be a little more comfortable to ride during the cooler seasons.

Jack

1 - 20 of 40 Posts