CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, after only six months with my CTX 700, a driver slammed on his brakes in front of me and I hit...and the insurance company is totalling it. I LOVE to ride and am trying to get a new one as quickly as possible. As I look at used ones, is 29,000 miles on a 2014 high enough to make me concerned? I am really looking at bikes under 10,000 and i wonder if I should consider this.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
These bikes can go on a long time. If the price is right and it is in good condition (new tires) compared to those of lower mileage, it is worth considering.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
295 Posts
You have the chance to get one with lower miles and a good price if you are patient. Take your time and keep your eyes open for those deals. This forum, Marketplace, and Craigslist are good places to look often. Also remember that the cold months are coming, hence, good deals as well. Good luck amigo!

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
295 Posts

This one with only 194 miles!!!! $4,995

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd be more concerned about a 6 year old bike with less than 400 miles on it than the same bike with 75000.
One has been loved, maybe ran hard and put away wet sometimes, but it's had a few pairs of shoes, several oil changes, and someone could rely on it to bring them home from long trips or maybe to get to work every day when they had to keep their job. It'll do another 75000 without breathing heavy. The other one has sat getting bugs nests, dry-rotting hoses, Is it on the original tires with hardened rubber? Was the chain bone dry and scraped clean for show? Are the brake and clutch cables stiff or rusty inside? The list of things that stay in better shape while being used keeps growing.

Now the low mileage bike from a dealer might come with a good 90 day warranty, give or take. It could be worth every dime if they fixed it up correctly and the tires are not dry-rotted. I wouldn't mind giving that a try on a month I'm free to go 30 miles after work 2-3 times during the week and 3 to 4 hours every weekend. Force that baby to show what needs fixed while the warranty is there, then keep it for normal use till you can pass it on to your grandkids.

·
Registered
20 Posts
30,000 miles isn't bad at all, provided that the maintenance tasks were done RIGHT and religiously according to schedule.

If you decide to buy this bike, at the first opportunity please change the wheel bearings, the headlight bulb and any stripped/rounded nuts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sadly, after only six months with my CTX 700, a driver slammed on his brakes in front of me and I hit...and the insurance company is totalling it. I LOVE to ride and am trying to get a new one as quickly as possible. As I look at used ones, is 29,000 miles on a 2014 high enough to make me concerned? I am really looking at bikes under 10,000 and i wonder if I should consider this.
well, I'm considering of going electric so the Grey Ghost could be available too soon-she's a 2015 has 7000+ miles and s miles - what's fair?

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the intel! I like low-mile used bikes but as others have said, the miles can be TOO low.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
30,000 miles isn't bad at all, provided that the maintenance tasks were done RIGHT and religiously according to schedule.

If you decide to buy this bike, at the first opportunity please change the wheel bearings, the headlight bulb and any stripped/rounded nuts.
That's a good word. I honestly would not think to change the wheel bearings!

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I'm considering of going electric so the Grey Ghost could be available too soon-she's a 2015 has 7000+ miles and s miles - what's fair?
I like the electric bike dreams you have. I rode the Harley LiveWire on rollers at a show and it had SERIOUS acceleration. I saw the Grey Ghost in your pix and I am specifically looking for a red, full fairing DCT. Thanks for commenting.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
295 Posts
Yes, I posted the link in a previous message on this thread.

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
49 Posts
Just very glad to hear you weren't seriously injured! And, the fact that you're willing to 'get back on the horse again', certainly says something of your character! More power to ya

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went through the windshield of the bike and somersaulted off the trunk of the guy who stopped quickly. Thanks to T-Rex crash bars and a good helmet, I was able to stand it back up and ride home, sitting on the windshield! I later found out that the fork was bent and I really should not have been riding it at all. I was banged up pretty bad and six weeks later the pain has finally subsided. I wanna get back on the horse quickly so I don’t have the whole winter to think about it, if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
49 Posts
I went through the windshield of the bike and somersaulted off the trunk of the guy who stopped quickly. Thanks to T-Rex crash bars and a good helmet, I was able to stand it back up and ride home, sitting on the windshield! I later found out that the fork was bent and I really should not have been riding it at all. I was banged up pretty bad and six weeks later the pain has finally subsided. I wanna get back on the horse quickly so I don’t have the whole winter to think about it, if you know what I mean!
You were very fortunate indeed! I've been in what could have been a serious accident and walked away myself. You never forget these experiences. I've talked to many a rider who've thrown in the towel. Can't say I blame them either, comes down to each person and their own decision - I respect it either way.
Best wishes
& whatever path you choose, it will be the right one for you

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash, very glad that your injuries were not a lot worse. It was about 8 to 10 weeks before my compressed vertebrae & separated shoulder felt well enough for me to buy my next bike & ride her home. Good helmet & ATGATT worked well, though I did need a code 3 ride at the time.

MOST Important: I ride to live & ride again another day. Education, training & practice are life long endeavors for me.;)
Best Wishes!

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2014 Honda CTX700N-1967 Honda CT90 TrailBike
14 Posts
I don’t think a trouble free 100k would be unusual for a well maintained CTX700. That’s just my seat of the pants guesstimate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Glad you are okay. 💛

1 - 20 of 20 Posts