CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is so much to like about the CTX700. The list of likes for me could go on and on, but I've had a tough time figuring out what I don't like. After almost three months though, I've now got a list that I think will stick for the long haul.

At first I didn't like having to learn the differences from riding a scooter; chiefly shifting and not having a left hand brake, but I expected it to take me a while to get used to riding an MC, so I'm not going to count that one. Also, I expected that there would be some wind noise issues, so I wasn't surprised and will soon fix that problem just like I had to do on the scooter, so won't count that one either. Also the fact that I have to perform regular chain maintenance won't count, because I researched this item and put this on myself by choosing a chain-driven bike, and besides, it's really not been that bad of a thing. It gives one a chance to get his or her bike nice and clean all along the underside, which is kind of a good thing, which may not get enough attention otherwise.

The list is from most important to least:

(1) I hate the sound it makes when riding it. I don't mind it being quiet, but prefer it to be a little louder so that I could hear the engine, however, my big complaint is the kind of noise it makes. It's a whinny, grindy sound in my opinion, and I guess that's because the engine is so quiet that one hears the tranny making all those annoying noises.

(2) I don't like that it does not have a water temp gauge. I like to know how cold, warm, and hot the engine is running at all times. When an engine is still running cold, I like to take it easy on the throttle, and if it were running a little hotter than it should, I would like to know that as well.

(3) I don't like that I don't have the option of leaving the gas cap unlocked.

(4) I love the chromeless look, but I don't like that the chromeless look is compromised with a chrome-looking, stainless tail pipe.

(5) I don't like that it doesn't have after market or OEM choices for storage that are cheaper than what is available after three months on the market.

(6) I don't like the fact that most bikers can't appreciate what Honda has accomplished technologically speaking by providing the market with a decently-powered MC that can go over 100 mph and achieve around 75 mpg, and the fact that sales of these models have not just gone through the roof.

(7) I don't the amount of lean on the side stand, but I can live with it. I carry around a piece of 1X6 and use it in my regular parking spots.

(8) I don't like that it doesn't have an ambient air temp gauge.

(9) I don't like that it doesn't have at least a 3.5 gallon tank, but since it is returning such fabulous mpg, it's not been that big an issue.

(10) I don't like that it doesn't have an oil pressure gauge.

(11) I saved this one for last, because it's not really about this bike but the entire industry. I don't like that neither this model or any other MC on the market is streamlined. I don't understand why the MC industry has a population of consumers who are not interested in advancing technologies to conserve fuel while still having fun. We now have 3,000 lb + gas-powered, 4-cylinder, naturally-aspired cars, 120+ horsepower that can get nearly 40 mpg, but the average-sized MC is much smaller, less powerful, have only two pts of contact for roll resistance, and weigh only a fraction as much as a car, but yet get about the same or only slightly better fuel economy on average.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
No offense, but you need to research all bikes before you pull the trigger on one. This bike has more features then others and lacks in other areas. You will never find the perfect one, there are to many options out there. Get the one that best suits you with comprimise of course. Scooters and motorcycles are different classes, no comparisons period. But then again, if you are looking for faults, you have done pretty good.

To me the bike is close enuff to perfect, before mods. Of course mods will still not please me completely, but uncomparied like no other new bike on the market stock. But, there is one major problem for me, I don't have one yet!!!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
There is so much to like about the CTX700. The list of likes for me could go on and on, but I've had a tough time figuring out what I don't like. After almost three months though, I've now got a list that I think will stick for the long haul.

At first I didn't like having to learn the differences from riding a scooter; chiefly shifting and not having a left hand brake, but I expected it to take me a while to get used to riding an MC, so I'm not going to count that one. Also, I expected that there would be some wind noise issues, so I wasn't surprised and will soon fix that problem just like I had to do on the scooter, so won't count that one either. Also the fact that I have to perform regular chain maintenance won't count, because I researched this item and put this on myself by choosing a chain-driven bike, and besides, it's really not been that bad of a thing. It gives one a chance to get his or her bike nice and clean all along the underside, which is kind of a good thing, which may not get enough attention otherwise.

The list is from most important to least:

(1) I hate the sound it makes when riding it. I don't mind it being quiet, but prefer it to be a little louder so that I could hear the engine, however, my big complaint is the kind of noise it makes. It's a whinny, grindy sound in my opinion, and I guess that's because the engine is so quiet that one hears the tranny making all those annoying noises. I kind of like clunky transmissions as it tells me it is heavy duty. Motor is pretty low tech except for the FI system so more tractor like. I agree the stovepipe could sound better and look better

(2) I don't like that it does not have a water temp gauge. I like to know how cold, warm, and hot the engine is running at all times. When an engine is still running cold, I like to take it easy on the throttle, and if it were running a little hotter than it should, I would like to know that as well.
You could find a thermal couple type but then you would have to mount it somewhere. My Prius C does not have one. Warm it for 3 minutes, take it's temp with a laser and adjust to where you want to start.

(3) I don't like that I don't have the option of leaving the gas cap unlocked. I always liked locking cap so people can't stick crap in it.

(4) I love the chromeless look, but I don't like that the chromeless look is compromised with a chrome-looking, stainless tail pipe. I agree, stove pipe

(5) I don't like that it doesn't have after market or OEM choices for storage that are cheaper than what is available after three months on the market. Three months I guess is not long enough for the market to finance addons yet. At least some have stepped up for windshields

(6) I don't like the fact that most bikers can't appreciate what Honda has accomplished technologically speaking by providing the market with a decently-powered MC that can go over 100 mph and achieve around 75 mpg, and the fact that sales of these models have not just gone through the roof.
Some bikers, me included, find the style quite unique and not main stream. I still like it. Honda is taking a gamble other makers have chosen not to do. Sometimes is more to it than MPG and all bikes have the same technology now (except for the DCT).

(7) I don't the amount of lean on the side stand, but I can live with it. I carry around a piece of 1X6 and use it in my regular parking spots. Ask a local welder to extend the foot, enlarge if you want and toss that 1x6

(8) I don't like that it doesn't have an ambient air temp gauge. Get on at autozone.

(9) I don't like that it doesn't have at least a 3.5 gallon tank, but since it is returning such fabulous mpg, it's not been that big an issue. Should not be on your list maybe

(10) I don't like that it doesn't have an oil pressure gauge. Most vehicles only have what Honda has, idiot light. My new Prius C does not.

(11) I saved this one for last, because it's not really about this bike but the entire industry. I don't like that neither this model or any other MC on the market is streamlined. I don't understand why the MC industry has a population of consumers who are not interested in advancing technologies to conserve fuel while still having fun. We now have 3,000 lb + gas-powered, 4-cylinder, naturally-aspired cars, 120+ horsepower that can get nearly 40 mpg, but the average-sized MC is much smaller, less powerful, have only two pts of contact for roll resistance, and weigh only a fraction as much as a car, but yet get about the same or only slightly better fuel economy on average.
There are many streamlined bikes, most are called Ninja's or RR somewhere in their name,
You could keep searching and I bet you can find one that will shorten your list. But many things are your list will never be met due to bike makers not thinking like you do. If we could create our own new models there sure would be some funny bikes out there. Ride on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just love mine. I'm sure if I thought hard enough about it, then I could find something I don't like about. No bike is perfect. But the Plusses out weigh the minuses with this bike.

Reactions: A. Rodriguez

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll give you one more plus -- this is a strong, tough bike.

Wife took hers up a curb at about 35mph. Other than trashing the rims, I can find no other damage (fingers still crossed).

I for one am glad this thing is made out if good old steel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it's any consolation, most (if not all) water temp gauges on vehicles these days are in fact just glorified dummy lights. They are designed to just sit in one particular position once the coolant has warmed up some. Smaller variations in temperature (up or down), as is typical during driving/riding, will not be reported/registered. The water temp gauge on my F700 works the same way.

On the other hand, actual engine temp typically lags behind water temp, so just because your water is up to normal temp it does not yet mean that your engine oil is fully warmed up and the engine can be romped on.

Does the CTX have an oil dipstick? If so, you could buy an oil temp gauge that replaces the dipstick and sits just where your oil cap is. Maybe not the easiest to see (need to look down a bit), but definitely the easiest to install.

By the way, I'm surprised the far forward foot controls didn't make your list. Did you get used to them? :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check the NC700X forum. There are temp. gauges that are the real deal. Splice into your top hose and tee in the temp. sender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read what you don't like about the CTX700, so how does it move down the road? With a bum knee, my YAMAHA STD 1300 got to heavy for my leg to hold up when stopped, my V Strom 1000 has been lowered and I still need to use my hand to get this leg of mine to bend enough to get on it. Once on, I can flat foot it. I'm use to 1000 cc's or more. Will I be happy and able to keep up with my hubby on his Concours?

·
Registered
126 Posts
No offense, but you need to research all bikes before you pull the trigger on one.
I think you misunderstood the intent of his post. He clearly stated right up front that there are more positives than negatives about this bike (in his mind), and that's why he's happy with it DESPITE the negatives he listed below. Still, he felt the need to itemize the negatives, while being clear they were not deal breakers for him. I think this is helpful for people who are potentially considering this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I read what you don't like about the CTX700, so how does it move down the road? With a bum knee, my YAMAHA STD 1300 got to heavy for my leg to hold up when stopped, my V Strom 1000 has been lowered and I still need to use my hand to get this leg of mine to bend enough to get on it. Once on, I can flat foot it. I'm use to 1000 cc's or more. Will I be happy and able to keep up with my hubby on his Concours?
What is a Yamaha STD 1300? The CTX is very low and if your inseam is near 28" you will have NO problem with it. If you are desiring a fast bike like a litre bike, then the CTX is not for you. It is nowhere in the same class as a C14, not even a C10 for that matter. However it does have a nice low end on acceleration and is more than ample at 75 mph. My wife and I ride together, her on the CTX and me on a C14 and she does pretty well until I get wrist twist happy.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Will I be happy and able to keep up with my hubby on his Concours?[/QUOTE]

That depends on how much he twists his wrist.
When I had the R1200RT and rode with my wife on her Vulcan 900, I wouldn't get out of 4th gear too often. If I did I didn't see her for a long time.
The CTX will out accellerate that Vulcan 900 and I think it would be compatible with the Concours, as long as your husband didn't want to leave you behind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You gotta figure there is a Honda engineer lurking around here getting next generation design tips. This list has a few items of interest.

Makes me wonder if there is an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostic) cable like automobiles, and you can buy after-market sensors to get any of the nominal input sensors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Makes me wonder if there is an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostic) cable like automobiles, and you can buy after-market sensors to get any of the nominal input sensors.
I'm sure there is. There's gotta be something to allow the dealer to read fault codes, flash new engine/trans software, etc.

My F700 has something similar as well. You can buy a diagnostic tool and hook it up to it. Sadly, even a simple service reminder warning must be reset using such tool, so my options are either to buy the tool (which ain't cheap), or pay the dealer to reset it. Alas, as was already said, no bike is perfect. :)

Sorry for a slight OT..

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Burgman 650 manual shows such a device, but a closer look at the two pins involved shows you can make one from a simple paper-clip. Is the Honda manual as helpful?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have found something I REALLY don't like about the CTX. The placement of the horn button. My previous bikes have all had the horn button below the turn-signal switch, but this bike is above the button. I'm finding that when I need to hit the horn button in a hurry that I just hit the down-shift paddle every time. That is a safety issue to me. But I will just have to retrain myself to hit the correct button when in a hurry.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Unfortunately the horn sounds like a pedal car horn.
Has anyone found a horn that sounds like a semi??....and fits.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you misunderstood the intent of his post. He clearly stated right up front that there are more positives than negatives about this bike (in his mind), and that's why he's happy with it DESPITE the negatives he listed below. Still, he felt the need to itemize the negatives, while being clear they were not deal breakers for him. I think this is helpful for people who are potentially considering this bike.
Pete's understanding the point of my post; many others are not. It's just for fun. Sort of picking on a really, really well-designed machine just to see what everyone would wish for as his or her own dream machine if he or she could pick out each design and functional element his or herself. I am in no way stating that I'm having regrets or that it is something that I didn't expect. I did the research, and it's even a better choice than what I expected overall, although there were a few, negative surprises.

On the ModernVespa.com forum members did these sort of posts all the time just to give us something to have fun with when I owned the BV350. That scooter was/is a new, innovative design for Piaggio, and the scooter industry as a whole, and that scooter was sort of the envy of all other owners on the site. Someone started a "what I don't like about the BV350", and that thread went on for ten pages and brought up a great discussion. It was just for fun and for and to see what different people like and dislike about powered-two wheelers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, there might be. Check out: Home | Lit Motors

My opinion is that they should have both a gas-powered and electric version. The gas-powered one should used the CTX power plant and ABS.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wish it would have been shaft driven and had self adjusting valves to make it maintenance free and bullet proof, like an update of the old Pacific Coast PC800.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts