CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you plan to use it as a daily commuter, or something for after work and weekends? Maybe even possibly for the track?

What is the primary purpose you will be using the CTX700 for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The CTX700 is going to be a bike I ride on evenings and weekends, and if I feel like it, on fridays commuting too and from work.

I just see way too many riders get nearly knocked down by drivers, people in the city just aren't use to motorcycles and don't look out for them, it's like war lol.

I'm sure others on here can relate

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I get one, I'll use it primarily for commuting to work, the jail and the prison. My current ride has 26,000 miles in two years with most of it commuting back and forth to work.

It'll also have to serve double-duty as something to take on rides across the state on Saturdays. I'm planning on leading a small group of riders from Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass, Blewett Pass and come back over Stevens Pass and back to Seattle on May 4th.

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine will be used for both commuting (30-40 miles a day) and the occasional weekend trip. I put 15K on my Burgman in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will likely use this bike if I choice to get it to avoid paying tolls on the HOV highway I take to work. Not to mention saving MAD CRAZY hours sitting in traffic. That will be the primary use.

Secondary would be riding with my buddy who has a Vulcan 900 on the weekends. He is really looking forward to me getting somthing so he has some one to ride with.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I don't plan on riding it daily unless the ground temperature is at least 12 degrees. Most likely the CTX700 will be a weekend warrior. Can't wait to start riding. Weather is being pushed back with the cold front. Once we all get it we should set up a meet and go riding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will be riding the whole week if anything. My work is about 7 miles from my house so it's not a horrible long ride there. Just enough I would say. But usually if it doe tend to rain then I take the bronco out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will use the bike for everything. Commuting and after work.

Hey Daboo, do you work as a prison guard or something?

·
Registered
124 Posts
No, I don't go to the prison to work there as a guard. :D

I'm part of two different Christian ministries at one of the nearby prisons and I'm out there often. Then each week, I go to the local jail to share the Bible with men in there.

I do get a kick out of the reaction I get when I tell people one of my best friends is in prison with a life without parole sentence. I wouldn't have wanted to know him back when he was a heroin addict and killed someone, but after he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior, he changed. He'll never see the outside of a prison in this lifetime, but he's chosen a different way to live out the rest of this life. So it does make a difference.

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are two different break in periods.

A. This is what I call the Minimum break in, it is usually around 600 miles, this is to take it easy on the bike and to vary the engine speed all the time as this helps the rings to seat better.
B. This also is the time that while riding, all the sharp pieces of metal that comes off of the engine and also the machining process this metal comes loose into the engine when you change the oil all that metal will be seen in the first oil change as you drain the engine oil.

2. Then there is the maximum Break in that is usually 10K miles where the engine loosens up and provides it's maximum potential

·
Registered
60 Posts
I often hear about the hard vs soft brake in techniques. I still haven't heard any conclusive evidence in either case. It seems to me to be just a matter of preference.

I usually just follow what the manual says.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard of both processes but the Honda manual never states how really to break in the bike properly. So does that mean bikes don't need any type of breaking in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the past many have said for bike the best way to break them in is to do the hard break in so that the piston rings seat properly in the engine. I most likely will be using this process just to be safe and have fun at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This poor thing will be taking the place of my ninety one thousand mile 2002 Gold Wing. I lost my left leg last October and will need a automatic bike to continue seeing this great country of ours. So, she is in for a beating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, I don't go to the prison to work there as a guard. :D

I'm part of two different Christian ministries at one of the nearby prisons and I'm out there often. Then each week, I go to the local jail to share the Bible with men in there.

I do get a kick out of the reaction I get when I tell people one of my best friends is in prison with a life without parole sentence. I wouldn't have wanted to know him back when he was a heroin addict and killed someone, but after he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior, he changed. He'll never see the outside of a prison in this lifetime, but he's chosen a different way to live out the rest of this life. So it does make a difference.

Chris
It sounds like a very fulfilling career. Always good to know people like you exist out there helping others. Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad to hear he has improved himself to become a better man.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quite an interesting carrer to have Daboo. I'm sure you have a lot of insight to share with us. Maybe you could teach them a thing or two about bikes in there.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Fifty-five mile, daily work commute almost exclusively. I bought my first ride last June. Thought I'd use it for a commute and for weekends and errands, but I've found over the months that I'm always out with my wife on weekends or going pretty much anywhere, save work, with her, but since the work commute turns out to be 9500 miles per year, and it's a beautiful, rural, scenic route, it's plenty useful.

I'm not the type that believes in burning fuel just for recreation, so I don't do riding just for fun, but riding to work adds in fun as a bonus to its utilitarian purpose.

I've currently got a great scooter, but when I saw that this Honda was coming out that will get even better mpg than a 330 cc scooter with Honda reliability and long service intervals, I had to have it, and I am getting weary of the fragile CVT transmissions on scooters. Mine needs a belt every 12K; other CVT parts expected around 18K. Just not a smart choice for a highway commuter unless one likes to do transmission work every year and a half.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts