CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough room to store your personal belongings on the new CTX700 while riding? I don't know about you guys but for the most part the CTX700 doesn't seem to have much storage space. I do plan to carry more than a wallet.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The storage is one of the Honda CTX700's down fall. The area can only fit a wallet or something slightly bigger. Very little space.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I almost forgot about the storage space, where is it hiding anyways its not along the rear cowel or anything. I can't imagine there be a lot of room for a compartment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The small storage compartment on the CTX700 is actually located where the fuel tank cap area its small but is more easily accessible. I wouldn't recommend opening and closing it to get things while the bike is moving but its right there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The small storage compartment on the CTX700 is actually located where the fuel tank cap area its small but is more easily accessible. I wouldn't recommend opening and closing it to get things while the bike is moving but its right there.

Wow that is a small storage compartment it almost looks like the size of an ash tray. Strange how the NC700 which the CTX700 is similar to has a much more bigger storage compartment. But I think its the way they modified the chassis to accommodate the lower stance and seat height.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
THis is how the storage compartment on the Honda Nc700 looks liek just look at the difference.

The NC700 storage compartment fits up to a full size helmet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The bike storage doesn't really fit all too much. Getting the saddlebag accessories is absolutely necessary if you you plan to do any long distance riding in the CTX700.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I buy one, I'll be coming from a Suzuki Burgman 400. The luggage on the CTX700...well, the first word I thought of is "it sucks". :) The "frunk" of the NC700X is a step in the right direction. It's a shame you can't get both the storage capacity and lower seat in the CTX700.

Here's what I have to live with now:

On the front fairing, I've been having to live with this:

That lower area on the right side is deep enough to put my arm in up almost to my elbow.

Then under the seat, this is what I have to live with:

I figure I can get part of that space back with the top box and side bags. The shame is to spend about $1200+ to get that.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I buy one, I'll be coming from a Suzuki Burgman 400. The luggage on the CTX700...well, the first word I thought of is "it sucks". :) The "frunk" of the NC700X is a step in the right direction. It's a shame you can't get both the storage capacity and lower seat in the CTX700.

Here's what I have to live with now:

On the front fairing, I've been having to live with this:

That lower area on the right side is deep enough to put my arm in up almost to my elbow.

Then under the seat, this is what I have to live with:

I figure I can get part of that space back with the top box and side bags. The shame is to spend about $1200+ to get that.

Chris
That is a whole lot more space compared to the CTX700. It wouldn't make sense if your were buying a CTX700 for space. The CTX700 is more for cruising and the slight upgrade with the two hard saddle cases might even be not enough. I like that rear compartment on the Burgman 400, being able to fit two helmets is a nice luxury to have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your simply sacrificing function over form. I'm sure daboo has his reasons to jump to a Honda CTX700 from a Burgman 400. In this case for me I would imagine its a nice upgrade even though your losing compartment space.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Upsidemoto, you gave me a nice chuckle when I read that. :D I just answered with the first thought that came to mind. I thought of not posting it, but decided to anyway. I hope no one takes offense.

I would love it if the manufacturers would combine the benefits of a maxi-scooter (storage primarily) with the benefits of a motorcycle (better handling).

Yes, I do have my reasons for the jump to a CTX700. The biggest reason is for the better handling I hope I'll find with a "real" motorcycle. The Burgman 400 is great on good roads, but pot holes are jarring. On the Rounder forum, one of the members posted a video of his BMW. The body didn't move at all, but the front suspension was going up and down with the imperfections of the road. He said he had to do a lot of mods to get it that good...but that is my goal.

I'm hoping in a few years that we'll see even more of a blend of the motorcycle design with the maxi-scooter. You see a bit of that with the NC700X. The owners on that forum are just overjoyed with the 21 liters of space they have now with a "frunk". What they don't realize is that much more is possible. That's just the beginning.

We're not there yet, but perhaps we will be in a few more years.

One thing that bothers me, coming from the maxi-scooter side of motorcycling. I look at things like the protection from the elements and storage to be a given. Something included in the design of the bike. If you want more storage, just buy a Bestem top box for $80.

On the other hand, motorcyclists seem to expect to spend a lot of money to take a bike they just spend $8-10K on...and add another $2-4K on to make it usable for more than afternoon joy rides. I think the motorcycle manufacturers are just laughing their heads off on the way to the bank.

Storage is a big deal to me. I'll often stop at Costco on the way home from work or church. I can fit a lot in 62 liters of space under the seat, and the 47 liters in the top box. The Costco checkers often look at what I'm buying and see the motorcycle gear and say, "how will you get all that home?".

So when I look at the CTX700, I'm asking myself if it can do all I've been doing on another bike already.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you want a decent size storage compartment you need the NC700X.

the CTX low seat prevents the tank fitting under the seat (I thinK) that's why it's in the 'normal' place. The fact that you get a small storage compartment is a bonus, you don't get storage there on other cruisers, and remember that's what the CTX is (kind of) with its low seat and feet forward riding stance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much is saddlebag accessory for the CTX? Is it expensive? Are there any third party products that are cheaper to buy?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If it is like the saddlebags for the NC700X, then you'll find it for about $1000 from your dealer, or about $850 on eBay.

I looked at a NT700V the other night. They have nice looking saddlebags built into the bike. I was a bit disappointed at the quality of the luggage though. I was trying to put my laptop bag in it. It might've fit eventually, but if I did it daily, I'd break the saddlebag for sure. It was a very lightweight construction. When I finished, I walked back out to my Burgman 400 and just dropped the bag in and closed the seat.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it is like the saddlebags for the NC700X, then you'll find it for about $1000 from your dealer, or about $850 on eBay.

I looked at a NT700V the other night. They have nice looking saddlebags built into the bike. I was a bit disappointed at the quality of the luggage though. I was trying to put my laptop bag in it. It might've fit eventually, but if I did it daily, I'd break the saddlebag for sure. It was a very lightweight construction. When I finished, I walked back out to my Burgman 400 and just dropped the bag in and closed the seat.

Chris
The saddle bags on the NT700v looks good and functions better with the aerodynamics since its not sticking out it doesn't have aero drag. But the odd shape would make it hard to fit somethings in it and in your case its a laptop. If you had to get the NT700v you would have to get a smaller net book instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How much is saddlebag accessory for the CTX? Is it expensive? Are there any third party products that are cheaper to buy?
You could easily be a couple hundred for the oem accessories. I would look in to third party and sometimes you could get a deal with some of the vendors but too bad they don't have any on this forum yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're looking for answers to questions like accessories, the NC700X forum can help you out. The luggage is the same. Some of them have done extensive mods to their bikes. It'll give you prices and ideas. Not much point in reinventing the wheel, if they have a year head start on you. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're looking for answers to questions like accessories, the NC700X forum can help you out. The luggage is the same. Some of them have done extensive mods to their bikes. It'll give you prices and ideas. Not much point in reinventing the wheel, if they have a year head start on you. ;)

Chris
so the luggage accessories are the same on the CTX700 from the NC700X, so does that mean they are transferable? I am not looking forward to spending a huge amount just to have storage, running a tight budget does help either.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Even if they are slightly different...which I doubt since they share the same frame, you can expect the price and capacity to be about the same.

You'll see some NC700X alternatives on their forum too. It'll give you ideas for what to do when you get your CTX.

Chris

1 - 20 of 47 Posts