CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Competition?

This bike is in a league of it's own.

They may try to compare it to another bike but that is impossible and not a fair comparison

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really don't know about that. I am praying that this bike is eighty percent as good as my Wee Strom which I can not shift anymore.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree with westgl.

I'm not stating that the CTX700 is better than other choices; just different than any other choice. You could compare the N to other cruisers, but just look at the pictures; the engine does not come up between you and your legs, and you could compare the 700 to other touring bikes, but it doesn't stack up to other touring bikes with respect to features, weight and power, and weather protection, but then again, those other touring bikes, don't stack up with the CTX700 with respect to price, low center of gravity, agility around town, and they'll use twice the fuel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well for starters, the 700 series:
1. Starts you at a lower base price.
2. Fuel economy is better
3. Maintenance is less $$, especially if you can do all of the work your self, it is a easy bike to work on, adjusting valves, No syncing TB's I plan to do my own work.

It is a very comfortable ,and very smooth bike, in all operation of the bike, shifting, revving, stopping, handling.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
There are so many things to compare a motorcycle to another motorcycle that this can be an endless debate.
I feel each person gets personal with his motorcycle unlike most cars so focusing on what is important to you differs from the next person. The CTX will never be a replacement for your favorite bike of yesterday. It is a model offered NOW by a maker with features and pricing that the maker hopes people will buy on its merits not how it compares to various models that have similarities but not 100% the same.

I bought my CTX as a replacement for a 25 year old model that had similar characteristics. A lightweight bike (easy for me to wrestle), Low in price (I can afford), low enough for my 28 inch inseam (I needed), with enough power (I like to accelerate), easy to service (I have tools) and some other things I like.

Since buying I like the fuel economy, fuel injection on a cood morning, easy on and off with low seat, wide bars to help balance at slow speed and a few more things. My dislikes are not important as I already bought it and live with it. I have changed some things already and may change more if I dislike something but that is my ideas not any one else.

keep on comparing if you must. Shoot down whatever models you care to, Tout features the CTX does not have and so on. Just take a chance and buy what YOU want to ride even if it is not a CTX. Most people don't need a forum to tell them what bike is best. Forums are useful to ferret out why YOU should own or not own a certain model because owners share good and bad bike information on forums. Once you own a bike, a forum will help you deal with many aspects of owning YOUR bike.

Was this a rant, sorry. too much caffeine.

Reactions: Adam_AU and iROC

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree with you Bill. Maybe someone should ask the administrator to get rid of this sub forum, because it's inviting us to compare even though comparisons don't make sense. Especially with this bike that is a totally different animal than most others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are so many things to compare a motorcycle to another motorcycle that this can be an endless debate.
I feel each person gets personal with his motorcycle unlike most cars so focusing on what is important to you differs from the next person. The CTX will never be a replacement for your favorite bike of yesterday. It is a model offered NOW by a maker with features and pricing that the maker hopes people will buy on its merits not how it compares to various models that have similarities but not 100% the same.
Bill,

I've owned several types of bikes before, and currently own a VStar 950. I just bought my wife a CTX700 to replace her totaled Rebel 250 (suicidal deer) and have told her to no longer ask me to ride her bike to deliver it to various places. The CTX is (by far) the smoothest, best handling bike I have ridden. I love my VStar 950 cruiser, but find it is slow handling, vibrates, and feels clunky. If Honda made a CTX1100, I would immediately sell my bike and buy it. The CTX700 is just too small for my 6'4" frame. It is a blast to ride though.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
WaltW, the VStar 950 is much heavier I imagine. The CTX is so different than a Rebel in power that your wife might thank the suicidal dear for doing her a favor but she can't. it would have been really cramped for your 6'4" chassis. I don't see a CTX1100 in the future. Most bigger engines come with bigger everything so weight adds up. But I do think light bikes can be more fun. I ordered a second bike which is a light bike. Should be here shortly and plan on having the CTX for short hops and around town. The new Yamaha FZ-09 with be for twisty roads and freeway fast lanes. One bike can not do everything in my mind. Time will tell which of the two will be ridden more. I think if you like to ride, you can have fun on any bike if you use it like it was designed for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like Yamaha's new FZ-07, 397-lbs, great power to weight ratio.

Narrow, Parallel twin.

Very good gas mileage for the FZ-07, I may end up with one yet.

You cant have to many bikes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts