CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the OEM grips and what they would recommend or not recommend (pictures?). I was considering some black Kuryakyns, but have heard that they do not fit well, unless willing to do some cutting/filing . . .

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reactions: wallacem

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I put 'grip puppies' that just slid over the existing and they work great for me. And they are only $15.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the Honda heated grips they work really well, with three heat settings. I did not install the grips had the dealer do it before the bike was delivered. From what they told me they were a real
P I T A glad I didn't do them.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I would recommend Grip Puppies or something similar that slide over the existing grips as well. The OEM rubber grip on the plastic throttle pipe is held in place by dozens of extremely sharp little tabs that will have to be removed if you intend to completely replace the grips using the existing throttle tube. Its a real PITA. The grips are also glued in place so the only way to remove the grips for replacement is to cut them off first.

No one at this time is making grips specifically designed for the CTX that include the throttle tube that I'm aware of. You will need to buy grips designed for the NC700X. This can be risky since you may need to alter them to fit properly.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I would recommend Grip Puppies...
I looked these up and an interesting aspect of these, or wider grips, is that they allow a little more control of throttle position which may help with low speed maneuvers. I don't know if that's true, but it's interesting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put on Grip On's, same as grip puppies, but seem more solid. Do yourself a favor though. Remove the handlebar weights first and use some extra hold hair spray. I used the soap method on an older bike and the throttle cover never stayed in place. When I put the Grip On's using hair spray, they slid right on and stayed in place. Grip on also has a size that is perfect. They are $11.66 on amazon with free shipping. Here is the link.
Amazon.com: Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 4.25in.L, Color: Black MC401: Automotive

Reactions: wallacem

·
Registered
277 Posts
I installed "Grip Puppies" several months ago. I have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I used Hairspray as well and it worked great. I would put them on in the evening so it dries by the time you need to ride it the next day.

I thought I installed the 'grip puppies' but this is what I ordered and installed:

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/appearance/18898-grab-grips.html

You order the 4.25" or the 5" grips and I ordered the 5" since I didn't know the exct length. It took only a few seconds to cut them to size and I installed the 'cut' edge first so the factory cut end would be at the end of the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
There are a million options out there, but for some reason most people stick with 3 options (stock, foam, rubber blobs over metal/plastic) and I just can't understand that. I personaly would never use either, I have used all of them and to me they are all obnoxious. First pick if you want the stock grip size or if you want to go larger. Then from there choose whatever you like. Grips are universal and the size is 7/8", so all 7/8" grips will work just so you know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Grab-on grips that fit over existing grips. So far so good. Much more comfortable than just stock. Bought at amazon for about $11.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I ordered the 7/8" and 5" length but the actual length is 4.25". A worst case scenario is that you don't like them but only spent $15 with shipping. If you order the expensive replacements and don't like them you just spent close to $100. It wouldn't hurt to try these first. I really like mine and I don't remember hearing others that have complained or removed them. Just a thought. Plus these take all of 5 mins to install with hairspray.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The proper size to order is 7/8 x 4.25. No hassles if you apply with hairspray. Just make sure application and adjustment is done in one quick step with a slight twist as the grip goes on. On the throttle side, you will want to make sure the grip does not come into contact with or drag on the bar weight once applied since this will effect the throttle return. Its best to apply the clutch side first to get the feel of how the grip will behave before installing the throttle side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Matt, I've done a write up on installing kuryakyn grips here: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/how-forum/33969-kuryakyn-grip-mod.html

including part numbers that I used.

If you look at the 3rd picture, the ridges that need trimming are by the throttle housing and at the very end. They came off quite easily just by scoring with an exacto knife, snap it off, and shave the high bits down. Wasn't intimidating at all.

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
Another grip alternative is tennis racquet grip wraps. Start at the end of the handle bar and work up so the overlap is in the right direction.
Have used them for years, but not yet on the CTX.
2 types available-thin and cushioned. The cushioned will give you thicker grips if that's what you are after.
Will not work with heated grips.
Got mine at WallyWorld.
It helps if your name is "Wilson" as the securing tape has that on it. If not, a little lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and it rubs right off.
About 5 for the thin and less than 10 for the cushioned. Change them every couple years if you need to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Matt, I've done a write up on installing kuryakyn grips here: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/how-forum/33969-kuryakyn-grip-mod.html

including part numbers that I used.

If you look at the 3rd picture, the ridges that need trimming are by the throttle housing and at the very end. They came off quite easily just by scoring with an exacto knife, snap it off, and shave the high bits down. Wasn't intimidating at all.
This is AWESOME . . . thanks for the detailed review! I think I am going to try some Grab On Grips for now and upgrade to the Kuryakyns when I feel more ambitious.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Here's another vote for the Grab On grip covers. Just received and installed a set today. Purchased on Amazon for $12.71. They're a perfect fit (4.25") on the stock handlebars and a cheap, quick upgrade. As recommended in the instructions, used some of my wife's hairspray and it worked like a charm. Did have to apply liberally to the inside of the grips and also sprayed a bit on the handlebar ends themselves, which seemed to help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230P2E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's another vote for the Grab On grip covers. Just received and installed a set today. Purchased on Amazon for $12.71. They're a perfect fit (4.25") on the stock handlebars and a cheap, quick upgrade. As recommended in the instructions, used some of my wife's hairspray and it worked like a charm. Did have to apply liberally to the inside of the grips and also sprayed a bit on the handlebar ends themselves, which seemed to help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230P2E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So are these covers supposed to slide over the existing ones? Does the hairspray act initially as a lubricant to make them slide on easier?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts