CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone back to the short windshield and the bike is now an entirely different creature.

I no longer have the jackhammer head buffeting that was causing me to try to stay under 50 mph.

The whole bike seems smoother. It makes a great commuter now that it has stopped turning my brains into jelly.

The downside is that the wind on my shoulders and chest wants to push me backwards so that I am not sitting as comfortably as I was before. Until I can get a proper aftermarket screen, this will not be a touring bike.

I have decided that I really like the DCT. The big disadvantage with automatic transmissions is the way they shift after the conditions have changed. With this DCT, I can drop a gear at the base of a hill without leaving the automatic mode. I can downshift before a pass. I can even make it shift up a gear when it takes a little long in Sport mode.

It looks like a little bagger with the short screen. I'll add some photos to my SmugMug page when I get off work this evening.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Maybe you could have a shop cut the tall shield down and provide just enough protection but no buffeting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yesterday went out riding with the wife on her CTX700. First time for her with the tall windshield. She was ok with it but it appears to be tall enough for the air to be way over the top vent intake on her full face. She's 5'6".

Might be short windshield in the summer for more air to the helmet vents. Tall one in the winter. We'll see. Live in the heat so air is important in the summer.

Tall windshield also creates a lot more wind resistance. We went out this morning and the wind was blowing 30-35. She said she couldn't get over 65mph with the throttle pinned. I'll have to take it out to some big hills and see for myself if the motor has enough juice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts