CTX 700 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
During my last tire change, the guy at the shop tried comparing my bike to a scooter. I had to educate him about motorcycles. Disappointing considering he used to race dirt bikes equipped with quick shifters. Folks are threatened by the lack of clutch and don’t realize the CTX has actual gears. Some folks just like engaging the clutch, releasing the throttle and clicking to the next gear. I enjoy the clutch too for doing tricks, and trials where throttle response it’s necessary. My experience with guys who call the CTX a scooter or a girls bike is that they aren’t experienced well seasoned motorcycle riders. I wonder what they will call the electric motorcycles with a single gear?
Tell the next brainless one who throws those comments at you, that you are highly offended at his calling your CTX a "girly" bike because you are a trans-gendered lesbian! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Send_it's post got me thinking about shifting and with the broad range of experience in riding here, I look forward to future comments. I had heard that motorcylces like cars and trucks, can be shifted safely and without damage to the bike without using the clutch. Anyone know much about that and able to comment?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Tell the next brainless one who throws those comments at you, that you are highly offended at his calling your CTX a "girly" bike because you are a trans-gendered lesbian! 😂😂😂
With apologies to Eric Peterson, if you are "acting" indignantly, would that make you a lesbian thespian?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh I’m familiar with clutchless shifting techniques. I was being a smart ass and using it during my CHP safety class 🤪 using on a Harley Street model. Check out this video=>

·
Registered
960 Posts
To answer your question Phil, yes the CTX will do clutchless shifting. You have to do it fast so the first time or two might be rough but you will soon get the feel of the engine and clutch. I have done it and know it works but old habits like pulling the clutch lever are hard to resist. It is no advantage unless you are racing someone. It definitly shortens your shift time but for just normal cruising I see no reason to do it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the video Send-it and for the reply TIP. As the video says, "if done properly" but it takes some practice to develop. If the clutch cable freezes or dies, instead of trying this, I figure I would just call CAA for a tow. Besides, still need it to get started, and there are too many stop signs and lights around to make it work.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm with you Phil. CAA would be my answer. Just because somethings can be done doesn't mean they should be. I think I will still use the clutch. Less chance of doing damage if you screw up. I used to laugh at some of the young truck drivers that bragged about not using the clutch. Yes I could easily do it, but I always considered the manufacturers put it there for a reason. A clutch is the weak link in the chain. Much cheaper to replace a clutch than a transmission or drive train if a mistake is made.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 700N
4 Posts
I was on a Sprinter forum asking about squeezing my CTX into a Class B motorhome. This was one of the responses I got:
"The CTX700 is not really a motorcycle- it's more of a maxi-scooter."
Looks like we'll have this image problem for a long time.
...my first instinct would be to defend the CTX as being 100% motorcycle. I have the N model, and before that i owned the Honda Forza 300 scooter, so i get to compare the two. Lots of folk like to smirk at scooters, but having owned one i know their virtues. As a casual ride i would have a tough time choosing between the two. I'm a tall guy, so the CTX fits me a bit better. But you can't beat a CVT transmission. The smooth, strong, unbroken acceleration of the Forza was amazing. In regards to power, the Forza (with only 270cc) rode as well as the CTX (with 670cc).... uphill, downhill, on the straight, into a wind, whatever. The CTX is low slung like a scooter, so easy to balance. That's about it for similarities.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 700N
4 Posts
I agree that the biggest problem with the bike is that it is severely underpowered for its engine size and body styling. Don’t get me wrong, I love it. But it just seems when I grab a handful of throttle instead of “whooo”, I get “meh”

“The man bun of motorcycles” ..... well......at least we got that going for us..... 😄
...i agree. They are surprisingly slow for a 670cc engine. But that's typical of cruisers, and this thing, at least my N model, is a cruiser. The plus side is their gas mileage!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Send_it's post got me thinking about shifting and with the broad range of experience in riding here, I look forward to future comments. I had heard that motorcylces like cars and trucks, can be shifted safely and without damage to the bike without using the clutch. Anyone know much about that and able to comment?
Some bikes can be shifted without the clutch, I don't remember which ones. Others no way. I had a Yamaha that would not shift without the clutch. You couldn't budge it, and on top of that, the clutch was so sensitive, that the tendency to stall out was way to high. Can I Shift Gears on a Motorcycle Without the Clutch? | Pack Up and Ride

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...i agree. They are surprisingly slow for a 670cc engine. But that's typical of cruisers, and this thing, at least my N model, is a cruiser. The plus side is their gas mileage!
How fast do you really want to go. It is capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph, with great gas mileage. Who needs more?

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 700N
4 Posts
I've heard these 100mph (re CTX) stories before. And i've read two or three CTX riders testify that they couldn't get it over 90. With my own N model, i've never tried a top end run. I don't need over 70mph out of it and just getting it up to 75 or 80 feels like quite an achievement. My CB500X can run circles around it while its getting there. But that's OK, i'm not complaining. I didn't buy it for its speed. Its a unique machine unlike anything i've owned before.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard these 100mph (re CTX) stories before. And i've read two or three CTX riders testify that they couldn't get it over 90. With my own N model, i've never tried a top end run. I don't need over 70mph out of it and just getting it up to 75 or 80 feels like quite an achievement. My CB500X can run circles around it while its getting there. But that's OK, i'm not complaining. I didn't buy it for its speed. Its a unique machine unlike anything i've owned before.
Excellent perspective. I'm looking at a CanAm Spyder RT right now...same idea...unique machine, different experience and purpose that meets my needs for my reasons.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
407 Posts
How fast do you really want to go. It is capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph, with great gas mileage. Who needs more?
ATHENA JOHNSON IS RIGHT! (HurrERR!) The CTX is a 21st century cruisin' bike, y'all! It's not supposed to have CBR-level pickup or squid handling, it' supposed to take you on a nice, relaxin' ride for almost 200 miles before you have to pull over. Don't fault the bike for things it wasn't designed to do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Excellent perspective. I'm looking at a CanAm Spyder RT right now...same idea...unique machine, different experience and purpose that meets my needs for my reasons.
I rode one at the 2015 Motorcycle Show in Sacramento. Comfy, and best seat on a motorcycle, for sure. Still, not my cuppa joe, but at least nobody called it a scooter - or even a snowmobile on wheels LOL. (If Honda had been offering rides on the CTX DCT, I probably would have bought one then and there. Finally got one last year.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I rode one at the 2015 Motorcycle Show in Sacramento. Comfy, and best seat on a motorcycle, for sure. Still, not my cuppa joe, but at least nobody called it a scooter - or even a snowmobile on wheels LOL. (If Honda had been offering rides on the CTX DCT, I probably would have bought one then and there. Finally got one last year.)
Very interested in what made the CanAm fall off the list. It may be a dead deal already. My wife was on board as recent as last Friday. That lasted until Sunday when we went for a ride through one of the state forests. She's now uncertain...same reason...loves her CTX. I'm also considering going back to the NC750 (well, I had the NC700X). We shall see. I think recovering from this surgery is influencing my thoughts on the matter. I cannot lift the VFR if I were to drop it right now, for instance.

As an aside, the engine (990 to 1330) and suspension changed substantially on the Spyders in 2016. Suspension was updated again this year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Spyder I rode had the 998 V-twin, which seemed incongruously rough for such a modern looking vehicle. I hear the 1330 triple is much smoother. I pretty much rode it as a lark, since it was the only thing at the show that didn’t require a working clutch hand. (No Honda rides). Beyond that, the Spyder forums cover any idiosyncrasies better than I could.

I’ve been giving some thought as to why I still want to ride motorcycles, and it comes down to this: it’s the way a bike turns. Yes, you can have fun in (or on) a flat-turning vehicle. Wide tires provide plenty of traction and power steering makes it easy. But I can initiate a turn on a big, heavy bike with a gentle push on the handlebar. I can ride through a series of curves effortlessly, with CG always under my butt. Rider and bike as one. Nothing like it. For me, anyway.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
The Spyder I rode had the 998 V-twin, which seemed incongruously rough for such a modern looking vehicle. I hear the 1330 triple is much smoother. I pretty much rode it as a lark, since it was the only thing at the show that didn’t require a working clutch hand. (No Honda rides). Beyond that, the Spyder forums cover any idiosyncrasies better than I could.

I’ve been giving some thought as to why I still want to ride motorcycles, and it comes down to this: it’s the way a bike turns. Yes, you can have fun in (or on) a flat-turning vehicle. Wide tires provide plenty of traction and power steering makes it easy. But I can initiate a turn on a big, heavy bike with a gentle push on the handlebar. I can ride through a series of curves effortlessly, with CG always under my butt. Rider and bike as one. Nothing like it. For me, anyway.
I'm with you on this. I test rode a Can-Am Ryker this summer to see if it would be a substitute when two wheel riding was over. It was a completely different experience for me. It felt like a sports car and felt like I needed a seat belt in the turns. To me, the fun of riding a motorcycle is to be able to lean into the turn, keeping the forces vertical and and feeling planted on the bike. I decided that when I couldn't ride anymore, I'd get back in my suv and roll down the windows. Again, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: Arrgh and mzflorida

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I’ve been giving some thought as to why I still want to ride motorcycles, and it comes down to this: it’s the way a bike turns.
Growing up in Montreal, one of my friends dad was a WW2 fighter pilot. he and his buddies all got bikes after the war, saying that being one with the bike on an isolated road was as close to flying on earth they could get.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts