CTX 700 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Finally.. no longer feel like the youngest person on the forum! woohoo! :)

As someone in his late 30s, I agree with a lot said here. For the CTX being my first bike, I can seriously see me having it for many years to come. Heck, maybe my next bike is another CTX :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finally.. no longer feel like the youngest person on the forum! woohoo! :)

As someone in his late 30s, I agree with a lot said here. For the CTX being my first bike, I can seriously see me having it for many years to come. Heck, maybe my next bike is another CTX :D
Okay, I'm not the youngest one here by a long shot, but I may be the most immature.🙃

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
407 Posts
...After a year of searching, I landed on the CTX700. Call it a moped, scooter, cruiser, whatever you want... 23yo me, might have cared, 32yo me gives zero f***s lol. Honestly, the CTX700 community is possibly the most sensible group of enthusiast I've ever come across. To me the CTX700 is all about having your cake and eating it too; making a reasonable, responsible, economical choice that is also fun, exciting and lets us live exactly the life you want... on the open road.
That's pretty much it. The DCT is a bike for people who don't give a f**k what other people think about bikes in general, or the DCT in particular. It's truly a 21st century motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I don’t really think the CTX has an image problem out in the wild at all. I have had so many people come up to me to ask what kind of bike I’m on and compliment the styling etc. The last time I was at the Tail of the Dragon my daughter and I stopped by the store and a group of five or six riders came over to us to check out the bike and complement it. These guys were on some high-end machines BMW, Aprilia, and the like. My ride is only slightly modified with a MTA windscreen and some soft luggage.

My experience has among “riders” not “bikers” has been overwhelming positive, and I consider myself a rider I’m no biker and don’t want to be. Once I even had a guy drive alongside me and flag me into a parking lot to find out what I was riding. I routinely have people approach me at the gas station to check out the bike, many are surprised when they realize what it is if they knew of the CTX. I think because they discounted it by the spec sheet or Honda’s misguided marketing.

This is where the image problem comes in either through press reviews or Honda’s own marketing the CTX has been labeled as an entry/re-entry machine. Many in the motorcycle community ignored the bike based on that alone. I think they should’ve mounted the pegs just a little further back and marked the CTX as a standard motorcycle that deliverers on its name Comfort Technology & Xperience at a great value for what you are buying period. ABS should have been standard on all models to live up to the Technology moniker. No caveats as an entry machine or female rider bike none of that, just solid motorcycle at a great value that just happens to get 65+MPG while still being fun. It’s no scooter, far from it, the CTX is a proper motorcycle period no other qualifiers needed. As far as the “bikers” are concerned I couldn’t care less, **** they are only satisfied if you have an air cooled vibration generator with a bunch of chrome. You're not even in their club on a Vrod, and that attitude is why HD is going under (a separate issue and is their own fault).

To sum it up I think the CTX does have a prescription issue on paper and maybe at the water cooler, but my Xperience out on the road has been awesome in both actual riding and the way other riders react to the bike. As for the bikers who gives a $&#%. The CTX is a grown ups machine that won't break the bank. A civilizied ride with an edge that gets amazing MPG... the real problem is that the CTX doesn't really fit nearly into any category at all. So they shouldn't have tried, Honda should have stuck the NC idea "new concept" and just ran with that, a category buster so to speak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The problem is two fold;
1) scooters are seen as 'less' than 'real' motorcycles, and by extension so are the riders on them.

2) there is no universal definition for either scooter or motorcycle.

For number one, that is simply an ego issue. You can buy into it or not. If the CTX being called a scooter bothers you, then you are essentially agreeing in premise with the person insulting you. You are agreeing that 'scooter' and by extension 'scooter rider' is inferior. That's just a matter of opinion, and to each his own.

For number two, it's a deeper engineering question no one has time for because they are too invested in number one. But...what makes a scooter a scooter and a motorcycle a motorcycle? Is it the transmission? Many might say a CVT transmission makes a scooter, but that doesn't really work anywhere else. ATV's come in manual, CVT, and DCT and they are all still considered basically the same vehicle. Cars come in manual, auto, and DCT-- and both a Camry and a Veyron are both 'cars'. The DCT muddies the waters even more because it's a regular gearbox, the only difference being clutch activation.

This is a point I make about the CTX specifically since Honda sells the exact same bike but with a clutch on a cable. Is the definition of motorcycle 'clutch on a cable'? Because that's pretty stupid. I can hear someone trying to bully a rider in the voice of Nelson from The Simpsons.....Haha, your clutch is electronically actuated instead of manually via a lever attached to a cable!

See, that argument just doesn't really wash.

There are other possible definitions. Most scooters have pass-thru seating while motorcycles are straddled like a horse. Would a machine with pass thru seating but a manual clutch be a scooter or motorcycle? This is perhaps a bigger defining feature than the invisible mechanics of clutch actuation. When you see a scooter, you know it's a scooter. Why? Mostly because of it's seating lay out that doesn't require straddling the thing. So maybe THAT is what makes a scooter vs motorcycle, because mechanically there is very little difference.

Whether something is a scooter or motorcycle is largely just up to perception. But if it bothers you that someone calls your CTX a scooter- then you are part of the problem for buying into the 'scooter as less' thought process to begin with. They are wrong and demonstrably so- but if the comparison actually bothers you- then you should probably look at your own biases before trying to correct someone else's.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I ride a dct, I always wear a full helmet, and, yes, I've been known to occasionally enjoy a piece of quiche. I'm sure there are other reasons why I'm not a "real" biker, but I really don't care.
HA! I wear matching helmets and jackets with my bikes, of which I own a crapload, and alpine stars T-shirt’s underneath, and have manufacture patches on them. I drink a crapload of espresso based coffee, I don’t touch shitty beer, and love wine. I wear suits when I feel fancy, and I go to fancy restaurants from time to time. I clean my bikes often. I will never own a Harley. I have hit midlife crisis, I’m in a decent place with 0 debt, and I would not have it any other mother******* way! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don’t really think the CTX has an image problem out in the wild at all. I have had so many people come up to me to ask what kind of bike I’m on and compliment the styling etc. The last time I was at the Tail of the Dragon my daughter and I stopped by the store and a group of five or six riders came over to us to check out the bike and complement it. These guys were on some high-end machines BMW, Aprilia, and the like. My ride is only slightly modified with a MTA windscreen and some soft luggage.

My experience has among “riders” not “bikers” has been overwhelming positive, and I consider myself a rider I’m no biker and don’t want to be. Once I even had a guy drive alongside me and flag me into a parking lot to find out what I was riding. I routinely have people approach me at the gas station to check out the bike, many are surprised when they realize what it is if they knew of the CTX. I think because they discounted it by the spec sheet or Honda’s misguided marketing.

This is where the image problem comes in either through press reviews or Honda’s own marketing the CTX has been labeled as an entry/re-entry machine. Many in the motorcycle community ignored the bike based on that alone. I think they should’ve mounted the pegs just a little further back and marked the CTX as a standard motorcycle that deliverers on its name Comfort Technology & Xperience at a great value for what you are buying period. ABS should have been standard on all models to live up to the Technology moniker. No caveats as an entry machine or female rider bike none of that, just solid motorcycle at a great value that just happens to get 65+MPG while still being fun. It’s no scooter, far from it, the CTX is a proper motorcycle period no other qualifiers needed. As far as the “bikers” are concerned I couldn’t care less, **** they are only satisfied if you have an air cooled vibration generator with a bunch of chrome. You're not even in their club on a Vrod, and that attitude is why HD is going under (a separate issue and is their own fault).

To sum it up I think the CTX does have a prescription issue on paper and maybe at the water cooler, but my Xperience out on the road has been awesome in both actual riding and the way other riders react to the bike. As for the bikers who gives a $&#%. The CTX is a grown ups machine that won't break the bank. A civilizied ride with an edge that gets amazing MPG... the real problem is that the CTX doesn't really fit nearly into any category at all. So they shouldn't have tried, Honda should have stuck the NC idea "new concept" and just ran with that, a category buster so to speak.
Yepp, I confirm.

a lot of people ask me about the CTX, once one even stopped his car. They mostly think that this is a 1000 ccm+ bike and are astonished that she has only 700. Always funny when they ask where there is the clutch and when I tell them that there are even two. The best is if you have a BMW (or similar) beside you at the traffic light. The time they need to find the first gear I am already far away..... At least here in France the CTX is too exotic to be ignored by others than HD walking frame users

·
Registered
236 Posts
Keep in mind the bikers call their bikes "scooters" and they are scooter trash.

Nobody ever called my DCT a scooter and who cares?

I have drag raced late model HDs and whupped them with the hole shot and the automatic outshifts any manual trans.

Not that I race this bike because it is not going to win many. But just the hole shot and quick shifting makes for a great bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yepp, that's it

Keep in mind the bikers call their bikes "scooters" and they are scooter trash.

Nobody ever called my DCT a scooter and who cares?

I have drag raced late model HDs and whupped them with the hole shot and the automatic outshifts any manual trans.

Not that I race this bike because it is not going to win many. But just the hole shot and quick shifting makes for a great bike.
I leave nearly all bikes behind at traffic lights, just for fun. A few meters the most of them overtake - but not why our CTX is slow but why I respect the speed limits. And never ever I had one who dared to tell something "disrespectful" about my "Karlchen". Au contraire, French seems to like the CTX, at least once a month people ask what it is, technicals details and so on.

By the way, I agree to the general opinion here, who cares what people are thinking. It's our bike, not theirs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, met a Harley guy at at bike clothing shop, he was decent and called my CTX700 a 'scooter-bike' :) I asked him how many clutches his bike had. He's like... what? One. I said... I have TWO clutches ;) We laughed and went our ways.

Haters gonna hate.

Strangely, Aprilia Mana was hailed as a 'proper' bike, whatever that is, although it actually use a scooter engine and a scooter CVT transmission.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I was on a Sprinter forum asking about squeezing my CTX into a Class B motorhome. This was one of the responses I got:
"The CTX700 is not really a motorcycle- it's more of a maxi-scooter."
Looks like we'll have this image problem for a long time.
Obviously said by someone who has never ridden one!

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 2018 Kawasaki X300
72 Posts
My opinion on the topic is, "who cares what somebody else thinks!" What matters to me is what I think about the ride and no one else. If I thought I needed to conform to what the other riders thought of my bike I would be wearing the black Tee shirts, the bandanna wrapped around my head, the vest with patches all over it and I'd park my iron in front of the local watering hole instead or riding it. No, I learned a long time ago to ignore what others think that belong to the herd mentality that wants to conform to what others think, do, wear, etc. I'll be my own man and ride my pink scoot. No, just kidding about the pink scoot. 😀

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have been out riding a bit. I have covered about 2400 klm this year. Not sure if it is the lockdown thing but all of our coffee shop-take out places can only be accessed by the drive throughs and then sit in the parking lot. Never thought much about the look of the CTX because I like the look. Recently I have had a lot of people who are forced to eat outside come over and while social distancing they comment on my C. They all seems to give positive things to say about the looks and have a lot of questions about the bike. It is rather nice that complete strangers will now in this pandemic take the time to be freindly. It seems to me that this is a positive change that people have slowed their pace and have time to stop and smell the roses instead of always being in a rush.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
As of last Friday many restaurants (including Tims) will let you go in to order food and drinks. Indeed, there are some people who are laid back and friendly but we don't hear about them as much as the jerks. Remember to watch for thorns while smelling roses.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have been out riding a bit. I have covered about 2400 klm this year. Not sure if it is the lockdown thing but all of our coffee shop-take out places can only be accessed by the drive throughs and then sit in the parking lot. Never thought much about the look of the CTX because I like the look. Recently I have had a lot of people who are forced to eat outside come over and while social distancing they comment on my C. They all seems to give positive things to say about the looks and have a lot of questions about the bike. It is rather nice that complete strangers will now in this pandemic take the time to be freindly. It seems to me that this is a positive change that people have slowed their pace and have time to stop and smell the roses instead of always being in a rush.
Same here. I rode every Afternoon to the nice coffee shop I used to go to enjoy my iced coffee under the trees. The ones open close like 4pm. So I haven’t been riding almost at all weekdays.

·
Registered
65 Posts
During my last tire change, the guy at the shop tried comparing my bike to a scooter. I had to educate him about motorcycles. Disappointing considering he used to race dirt bikes equipped with quick shifters. Folks are threatened by the lack of clutch and don’t realize the CTX has actual gears. Some folks just like engaging the clutch, releasing the throttle and clicking to the next gear. I enjoy the clutch too for doing tricks, and trials where throttle response it’s necessary. My experience with guys who call the CTX a scooter or a girls bike is that they aren’t experienced well seasoned motorcycle riders. I wonder what they will call the electric motorcycles with a single gear?

121 - 140 of 164 Posts