CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a Sprinter forum asking about squeezing my CTX into a Class B motorhome. This was one of the responses I got:
"The CTX700 is not really a motorcycle- it's more of a maxi-scooter."
Looks like we'll have this image problem for a long time.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was on a Sprinter forum asking about squeezing my CTX into a Class B motorhome. This was one of the responses I got:
That response is not unusual.
I was telling a friend of mine that I obtained a CTX700.
His response..."what are you going to do wit that glorified scooter?

Doug

Reactions: Ruby

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
My CTX700 DCT is the perfect motorcycle for me right now. Worrying about what others think about it is way down on my list of poriorities. To each his own..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Methinks that the DCT is what makes the ignoramous types look so stupid. In their stupor, they confuse the DCT (a true multi-speed transmission) with the CVT that's so common to modern scooters. I'm old enough to have started riding in the era when Vespa's & Lambretta's all had manual clutches with handgrip speed changes. What the heck would they do with those? Call them motorcycles??

Since my CTX is a manual six speed, they would have no basis whatsoever since none of what makes a scooter (i.e., a step thru mounting; small, 12" or less wheels; enclosed body work and usually a CVT transmission) applies to my CTX, before or after my trike conversion (which would confuse them even further!).
>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Methinks that the DCT is what makes the ignoramous types look so stupid. In their stupor, they confuse the DCT (a true multi-speed transmission) with the CVT that's so common to modern scooters. I'm old enough to have started riding in the era when Vespa's & Lambretta's all had manual clutches with handgrip speed changes. What the heck would they do with those? Call them motorcycles??

Since my CTX is a manual six speed, they would have no basis whatsoever since none of what makes a scooter (i.e., a step thru mounting; small, 12" or less wheels; enclosed body work and usually a CVT transmission) applies to my CTX, before or after my trike conversion (which would confuse them even further!).
>:)>:)>:)
Also, the scooters I've seen have hand brakes, so there is nothing for the feet to do except hold up the scooter at traffic lights.

The DCT is just a bike with a manual transmission and an automatic clutch, where the rider can shift manually using the paddles or just let the bike do it.

In any case, with the number of riders of powered two wheeled vehicles (or three wheels) declining each year, our clout and influence is declining steadily. If we want to keep our right to ride and wish for prices of bikes and gear to remain at affordable prices we need to stop making fun of other riders because of the ride they choose or the gear they wear, and instead encourage more people to get involved with this hobby.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I have the manual transmission, and as far as I can tell, the configuration is no different than my CBR was..... Definitely a motorcycle!!!!
I am curious about what they said about a bike in the sprinter though..... could you post a link?

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go here and search "CTX". My thread is Class B Toy Hauler? Not getting much help. Lots of folks put motorcycles in cargo vans but very few in a Class B van configuration. It's a little bit of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
The Neanderthals refer to Sportsters and Street 750s as "Girls bikes" too. So what. I didn't buy my bike to impress anyone. I bought it to get a job done. And it gets that job done a lot better than if I had bought a Dyna, GW, R1200RT, or any other "Full sized" bike. Our bikes have a 670cc engine. Does that make all those 450cc ADV bikes, and 600cc rice rockets, "Little kids" bikes? What sized bike did Steve McQueen ride in "The Great Escape"?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Go here and search "CTX". My thread is Class B Toy Hauler? Not getting much help. Lots of folks put motorcycles in cargo vans but very few in a Class B van configuration. It's a little bit of a challenge.
I took a look. IMHO, he was only trying to point out the longer wheel base and offer shorter models. I don't have an account there to respond, but I think the best you can do is agree with him, as you have already. The longer base gives a better road feel and you like it, that's the only reason you need for wanting a nice way to get it there.

As to changing MC model just for that one usage, just restating it makes it sound like an odd response to the question. It's odd to me people will agree with others strapping a Rebel or Grom onto a bicycle rack for camp use while admitting they wouldn't want something that size - And they will nod approval of trailering a Road King while they wouldn't - And some would even allow positives or degrade a Sportster - But take any dirt-bike or cruiser and they seem to come out of the woodwork saying "What you need is ...". I say "Great, show me how yours works for you, and why are you not on it?"

My CTX700 DCT is the perfect motorcycle for me right now. Worrying about what others think about it is way down on my list of poriorities. To each his own..
Bingo

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Neanderthals refer to Sportsters and Street 750s as "Girls bikes" too. So what. I didn't buy my bike to impress anyone. I bought it to get a job done. And it gets that job done a lot better than if I had bought a Dyna, GW, R1200RT, or any other "Full sized" bike. Our bikes have a 670cc engine. Does that make all those 450cc ADV bikes, and 600cc rice rockets, "Little kids" bikes? What sized bike did Steve McQueen ride in "The Great Escape"?
Girls like those bikes as we do, for the same reasons as the CTX700 - Comfort (debatable), Technology (for first release, at least), eXperience (In Spades) and generally very affordable for the fun-level. I don't have to tell y'all that.

I may have been mistaken as knocking the Street 500 for difficulty in U-turns by newbies in the drivers testing box elsewhere, but it can do it. In real life driving I can't knock the Street 750 or it's slower brother even though I don't have one.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Every now and then I run into someone who loves to compare the CTX to a scooter ( no offense to scooters). Usually a lawyer dressed as a 1 percenter (wannabe) who's had too many drinks. We all know the kind. I can usually shut em up fairly quickly with just a simple question like " Oh, how so?" Those that open their mouths generally make fools out of themselves fairly quickly. Others just clam up because they cant defend their argument knowledgably. Lets face it! Its hard to defend a comment by saying I read it in a magazine.

The other type of individual I run into just hates the thought of an automatic transmission like the DCT and cant stand anything other than a manual transmission. You will never change the mind of a diehard and they will argue the point endlessly if you get them started. I always like to end these conversations by challenging them to go riding with me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This "phenomena" is rampant in motorized performance. I'm guessing because of the overflow of testosterone, and guys trying to show who has the biggest di........pstick.

I've known guys who had V6 Mustangs/Camaros/ect. that could blow the doors off their V8 brethren, but their owners always got chit because it was "just a V6."

Everybody rides/drives what they do for a reason. I've said this a million times to others, I'll say it here: The only person that can make you feel inadequate about your ride is you. Yeah, peer pressure can be a b|tch sometimes, but at the end of the day, it's yours. When they start paying the note, then their opinion matters.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Every now and then I run into someone who loves to compare the CTX to a scooter ( no offense to scooters). Usually a lawyer dressed as a 1 percenter (wannabe) who's had too many drinks. We all know the kind. I can usually shut em up fairly quickly with just a simple question like " Oh, how so?" Those that open their mouths generally make fools out of themselves fairly quickly. Others just clam up because they cant defend their argument knowledgably. Lets face it! Its hard to defend a comment by saying I read it in a magazine.

The other type of individual I run into just hates the thought of an automatic transmission like the DCT and cant stand anything other than a manual transmission. You will never change the mind of a diehard and they will argue the point endlessly if you get them started. I always like to end these conversations by challenging them to go riding with me.

So true. I'm a diehard manual guy, but I can definitely see the value of a DCT. Those that decry them probably don't ever commute (pleasure riding) and don't know what it's like to be in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. Quite a few trips to shows/meets/races in my Mustangs where I woulda sold usable organs to switch to an auto for the trip. And that was back when they were still slushboxes. Automatics are amazing now. Plus, ask any true hardcore drag racer what they run, and it'll either be an auto, or a sequential manual with a lever (basically an automatic).

·
Registered
817 Posts
I could give a rat's azz what people think of something I ride or drive.
This happens with about every toy I have had.
I have a Goldwing F6B.
The full wing riders give me crap because I don't ride a "full" wing.
I own a Polaris RZR 900.
The guys who have the big motor RZRs say that I must not have enough money to buy a "real" RZR.
I guess my point is,there are always going to be haters no matter what you have.
Think about this question...While you are left pi**ed off at the person making the comments,do you think 5 minutes after they walk away,they are even thinking about you?
Let me answer that for you.
H*ll no,they aren't.
They are thinking about the next person they are going to make miserable.

Doug

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
WOW! You all must be avid Facebook users.
WHY let those comments affect you in ANY way????

Does it really matter what an a$$hat like that thinks about YOUR bike??
Turn the other cheek and move along - nothing to see here.
I am offended that you called me a Facebook user.......

(.....I am an asshat.....)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
You can thank honda for that..
My father called it a scooter too, the solution as I see it is to have Honda put some real performance abilities into it or better yet kill the entire line and merge it with the VFR into something? IDK but it's got scooter written all over its spec sheet if being brutally honest.

It's not you or the CTX community that has this image issue, the cycling world generally doesn't take a bike like this seriously.

Reactions: flat6bagger
1 - 20 of 164 Posts