CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are two quotes from page 137 of my CTX700N owners manual.

"It is important to realize that your warranty applies only to defects in material or workmanship of your Honda. Your warranty coverage does not apply to the normal wear and deterioration associated with use of the motorcycle."

"Your warranty coverage is not voided if you perform your own maintenance. However, failures that occur due directly to improper maintenance are not covered by these warranties."

Dig in and learn, some things you can do as well as a dealer.

Reactions: SantaClaraNurse

·
Registered
975 Posts
+1 on Bill's comment.

I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever but some of this regular maintenance with respect to my scooter is really very simple once you've done it once or twice and it looks even easier on a Honda MC.

For instance, I've noticed that some folks on the scooter forum won't even change the oil for fear of voiding the warranty and they'll go through the hassle, extra time and the hundreds of dollars required to take it to the dealer for easy scheduled maintenance. I found that changing the oil on my scooter is much easier than doing it on my car, which I do also.

One thing that riders should keep in mind is that no one cares about your ride like you do, and in many cases, you have no idea who is actually servicing your bike and how attentive they are to your needs. In many instances, these shops charge $100 per hour or more for service, and they're paying a guy or gal minimum wage to do the work when it comes to simple service items, so it's basically a rip off by the dealer to have simple work done.

There is no peace of mind like doing the work yourself and knowing that it is right. A second option for those who are not too confident is paying a fellow rider who is more experienced to do the work and show you at the same time. In this way, you can observe and see that the work is done correctly and learn at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jimbo,
I checked you link, good spreadsheet tool. Someone here might like it. Thanks.

I also us a spreadsheet with 4 columns; date, miles, comment, costs. I also keep last oil change in my phone as it is handier than bringing up my spreadsheet. I also use the phone to track trip miles when several fuel stops are needed.

I think most riders don't do everything listed on the service chart like change brake fluid as they figure if it's not broke don't fix it. Some are real nit pickers about following the owners manual chart to the letter. I am somewhere in the middle.

I ride several days a week and almost every weekend. I know my clutch is adjusted. My idle speed fine, the plugs are firing good every time I ride, I have never worn out a brake pad but know that they are usually visible without taking any thing apart. These are examples of regular service mentions in the owners manual to make a point that many things don't need a schedule as you should be aware of your bikes systems every time one rides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Bill

I'm a data guy so used this pretty regularly on my Rebel. I find it most handy when I'm looking for a quick spec like the torque I am supposed to use on the Oil plug.

You mentioned using your phone for tracking trip miles. Do you use a particular App'?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always buy the factory service manual on all bikes I buy and keep them in the garage handy. Already have the CTX one, 23 sections plus index.

data guy, hummmmm, as in computer geek or analyst type or ??

no app (I'm too cheap to spend the 1.99 ). Just use note pad and use it like a log. Because I reset my A trip odometer each fill up and I use the B trip odometer for tracking miles since last chain lube (try to do it every 300 miles). Manual says 500 miles but I would rather put less oil on and do it more often and got to 500 only if I must.

Example of a notepad entry..
6/30 Quincy trip. lv745am
start 720 miles full tank
gas1 @120.6 and 1.834gal
home 883m 11:50am
total trip 163m

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
975 Posts
I always buy the factory service manual on all bikes I buy and keep them in the garage handy. Already have the CTX one, 23 sections plus index.

...(try to do it every 300 miles). Manual says 500 miles but I would rather put less oil on and do it more often and got to 500 only if I must.

Example of a notepad entry..
6/30 Quincy trip. lv745am
start 720 miles full tank
gas1 @120.6 and 1.834gal
home 883m 11:50am
total trip 163m
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Three hundred seems like a good interval for me to use as well. That's almost what I'll travel per week for my work commute, and it may be easier just to lube every week instead of worrying about the miles. That way I know I'll always be on the conservative side. I guess if I take a road trip or something, I can just clean and lube afterwards, but for regular riding, I can just take care of this every week.

It'll be my first MC and my first experience with chain drive, so I'm having trouble visualizing using more oil versus using less oil based on frequency. I guess it will all make sense once I get in to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
The expensive stand alternative

So i'm cheap and don't want one more more thing sitting around here !
Note: You can still clean chain by pushing the bike up slightly on the side kick stand and rotating the chain/wheel to next section to clean. I little bit of an annoyance. One guy on youtube uses a piece of a 2 x 4 stud
to keep the bike tilted ever so slightly lodging it under the swingarm / chassis to move the wheel and exposed chain area one fell swoop. You save yourself $40... with piece of scrap wood. Reviewers booed the abscence of a centerstand...but not sure if having no center stand with cruisers the norm ?!

Yea I am a 0nce a week chain guy too. I use a wheel cleaning stand I picked up at harbor freight for about 25 bucks so I can spin the wheel. Also comes in handy when cleaning. Otherwise I use my rear swing arm stand. Wondering if the ends of the stand will fit a CTX. Any one use one these stands with your Bike>

Rear Swing Arm Stand - Do these brackets fit the CTX?

Here is a link to the cleaning stand I use

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
You can do services on every vehicle you own and not void your warranty. If any dealer/service personnel tells you different they have violated federal law. Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. It states (in not so many word) that unless said service /repair/parts is provided free of charge during the warranty period, the manufacturer cannot void your warranty based on the fact that they did not personally perform the service/repair. As long as the parts/oil etc. meets or exceeds the mfgr's specification, you can do it yourself or have someone else do it. Just keep all receipts. The onus is on the mfgr to prove your service or repair caused a failure in court. I let every service /dealer person that I specifically do all my own maintenance. Always have...always will!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thx for that legal reference ... but what about

Thx for that legal reference ... but what about Honda claiming that you are not a certified Honda tech or ASE certified MC mechanic hence they will say its your fault and incorrect installation ? I am an engineer as well as
have built high performance engines, and done a slew of maintenance myself as i was pocket poor at the time. Whats our argument toward that response ?

** Interesting tidbit unrelated but, HD recalling like 125K bikes for faulty
master brake cylinder.

LW

You can do services on every vehicle you own and not void your warranty. If any dealer/service personnel tells you different they have violated federal law. Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. It states (in not so many word) that unless said service /repair/parts is provided free of charge during the warranty period, the manufacturer cannot void your warranty based on the fact that they did not personally perform the service/repair. As long as the parts/oil etc. meets or exceeds the mfgr's specification, you can do it yourself or have someone else do it. Just keep all receipts. The onus is on the mfgr to prove your service or repair caused a failure in court. I let every service /dealer person that I specifically do all my own maintenance. Always have...always will!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Unless you actually installed something improperly or added an accessary known to be incompatible, the correct response is "prove It"! All you need is the receipts for the parts or supplies and your good word for general servicing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unless you actually installed something improperly or added an accessary known to be incompatible, the correct response is "prove It"! All you need is the receipts for the parts or supplies and your good word for general servicing.
100% correct. I have read on this site where a lot of riders are taking their bikes in for the 600 mile service just to ensure they establish a good relationship with the dealer. I guess they are afraid that if they don't give the dealership free money then the dealers won't be there for them when or if needed. Sounds like a mob security payment to me. Personally I am not going to give someone $150 to change my oil, adjust chain and check other items that every rider should know how to do. I just want to add my 2 cents saying yes your warranty will be there if you do your own service. Do what you can or comfortable doing, say your money. Don't want to save? Please PM me and I will give you my paypal account for deposit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts