CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new CTX 700 with bags tall shield and backrest/luggage rack. White. At low speeds 25-40 or so I can hear a wap wap wap sound like a cupped out tire on a car. I don't feel any pronounced bump or vibration. It resonates into the whir of the drive train when light throttle but not when off throttle. Then you can only hear it from the rear of the bike. Sounds like its coming from the rear tire, wheel or chain. Anyone had this condition? I'm new to the site so I hope I'm in the right place.

Steve in TN

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Thanks CEE. By the way I ordered the foot boards per your post...part #'s 7579 and 8815. Thanks!
They do give a little more comfort, especially for shorter inseams. They are mostly easy to install. Take yours off SLOWLY and pay attention to the spring orientation. It will be a lot easier to install the new mounts if you trim about 3/16 off with a dremmel, otherwise the straight portion of the spring will make it difficult. You will see what I mean when you do the install.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
by the way if it makes any difference mine is 6 speed manual.

I recommend taking it to the dealer. Before you do that, try to clinically pinpoint when you hear it. what gear, what rpm, flat, uphill down hill. cold, hot, after lubing chain or before. what tire pressure, rider only or rider with bags loaded if you have them.

have you lubed the chain yet? If you did, was there a change. does the tension fall within measurements..

then call service department and make appointment for them to road test.
they should wear the same style of helmet you have if possible.

have you tried recording the sound with your smart phone in video mode if you can set to speed easily.

just some ideas to help you get your point across. when a motor is free wheeling it will make a different noise then when under load or slowing down in gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Billnoroville. The noise and frequency are the same regardless of gear which is how I know it comes from the back wheel. Faster frequency with speed....slows down with wheel speed, again no matter what gear. It MUST be chain related. Ill get it looked at at 600 mile check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts