CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
here in Mexico It is about 1700.00 for a 2014 ctx that cost 800.00 salvage title and they must be 5 years old but no older than 10 years. you need broker.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
This isn’t motorcycle related but it is import related. My limited experience in this is my son bought a 1975 Ford F-250 in Caldwell, Idaho and he had to import in to Canada, of course.
He started out trying to do this by himself but it quickly became overwhelming and he needed a broker. The age of the truck made it easier and it was still hard for him.
One thing we learned is not to rush things or set a time frame. We tried pushing it and the more we pushed, the more frustrating it became. So allow yourself lots and lots of time.
He hired a broker, which he basically was forced to do, and that was a total money pit. I think the bill was over $1200.00 so it’s not for the faint of heart. I don’t know if it makes a difference but that was on an $18,000 truck and not a $7000.00 motorcycle.
Crossing the border with the paperwork in order made it easy, kind of. But once we did get to Canadian customs we had to pay the GST. We didn’t have to pay duty because of the age of the vehicle.
I hope this story helps in giving you an idea of what’s in store.

Glenn
That was an old truck. Plan ahead. I'm sorry he had to pay so much money to get the truck cleared and released. One thing I did learn today that when any vehicle is imported into Canada, it must be inspected at an approved shop (as we would call it here in the US.) I'd like to see what that invoice looked like from the broker. It's easy to rack up the fees. But in the broker's defense, how much time did it take to get your son's truck cleared with the effort from the broker? And yes, there are Customs brokers who will bill, bill, bill for all they can. did the broker outlay money at any point for your son?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
That was an old truck. Plan ahead. I'm sorry he had to pay so much money to get the truck cleared and released. One thing I did learn today that when any vehicle is imported into Canada, it must be inspected at an approved shop (as we would call it here in the US.) I'd like to see what that invoice looked like from the broker. It's easy to rack up the fees. But in the broker's defense, how much time did it take to get your son's truck cleared with the effort from the broker? And yes, there are Customs brokers who will bill, bill, bill for all they can. did the broker outlay money at any point for your son?
You’re up on this topic more than I am but in the end there’s a “number” that is required to have the truck clear customs. I don’t remember the name of that document. When we got to the border, coming home, we had to go to the U.S. side to get that number/document. As things transpired, the broker always asked for more money as we went along. He just paid, paid, paid.
For us, it was a learning curve. We thought things were in order so we went to Idaho on the premise that everything was ok. It wasn’t. All of a sudden, at the blink of an eye, it became time sensitive. We were at the mercy of the broker to push it through.
I wish I remembered the name of the document we needed but it was a nightmare to get.
You mention something about having to get an inspection at an approved shop. My guess is that would be for emission standards. I only knew we had to do that for insurance requirements.

Glenn

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74914&stc=1&d=1521426383

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74922&stc=1&d=1521426502

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I used a on-line broker for $75 US. They sent me my ITN # immediately.
Can you tell me anything more about the process mellaby?
Like, what info and paperwork did the broker require?
And, then what did they provide to you?
Did you cross the border yourself with the bike or have it shipped?
Thank you very much for any further guidance you can give me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have imported a barely-used 2015 CTX700 DCT from a dealer in Hamburg, NY for my wife. It's very feasible. Not all dealers will sell to a Canadian, but this one does. You are best to handle this through a Broker. I used an on-line broker called BorderBuddy. They will charge you about $120 for the service, but the quote is free. You also have to go through Transport Canada; check their web-site for details and the procedures to follow. Good news, the CTX700 DCT is completely legal to import as-is. There is a $295 fee for the RIV which will be included in the final bill from BorderBuddy. The paperwork must be submitted to US Customs 72 Hours before you cross with the vehicle. The Broker does this. Not all border can handle these transactions! The broker will tell you which crossings can handle this, and will advise you where to go once you get there. The same has to be done on the Canadian side. Duty will be handled through broker, as you will have been billed this in advance based on the sale price of the bike. DO NOT try to cheat the system! If caught, you will be heavily fined. First, talk to the Hamburg dealer and get a sales contract for the bike. Then go to the broker. When you get the bike, have insurance for it; and get a transit plate to ride it across the border. It will have to be inspected at a Canadian Tire prior to registering it in your province.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi Cinder:

Welcome to the forum; always nice to have some more Canadian riders, and one who is practically down the road, only 400 km away.

This may seem like a naive question, but if the bikes are imported into the US, meet Canadian standards, but are not imported for marketing or other related purposes, would you not be able to get a local dealer to order you one directly from the factory?

regards, Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Allow me to answer. I tried to get an answer from Honda Canada for exactly the same question, and every representative replied with the same answer. "We can't do that." They wouldn't even take my money. So I threatened to buy the CTX700 DCT in the US and they said there might be parts availability problems, warranty issues, blah, blah, blah, support your local dealer even when he won't sell you what you want, etc. Believe me, I tried everything and they STILL wouldn't bring in a CTX700 DCT. Even some US dealers wouldn't sell me the bike other than the one in Hamburg NY.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Hello Marc,
Thank you very much for the advice! I appreciate the information. I will be sure to follow it when/if I ever find a bike. I have been looking online still trying to find one and in the meantime, hoping Honda Canada will bring us something I can ride next year. The model line-up this year is very slim to say the least.......
I think you are referring to Hamburg Honda just outside of Buffalo, correct? I should probably email or call them so if they get one in on trade they know they have a buyer.
Thanks again!

Hi Vulcan,
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I'm not far at all, in fact, my family is from the Madawaska Valley originally and I am up in Pembroke quite often to visit. As Marc said, if Honda Canada did not bring it in as an "official" model the dealer cannot order it. The Canadian dealers can only order bikes and parts from Honda Canada, not Honda USA or any other Honda affiliate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ask for Tim at the dealer you mentioned. Mention my name; Marc & Susan from Montreal. Great people to deal with; it's a family-run business. Susan loves her DCT as it's smaller than her former Suzuki Boulevard C50. The DCT was a bonus.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi Vulcan,
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I'm not far at all, in fact, my family is from the Madawaska Valley originally and I am up in Pembroke quite often to visit.
I was just in your area at the end of May and I end up throughout the Madawaska Valley fairly often. HIghway 511 between 7 and Calabogie is always too full of riders who think they are on a racetrack, so it is best ridden during the week when most people are working. I'm planning a tour to northern Ontario with some friends and riding along the ottawa river, especially up by Deux Rivieres is always nice. Send me a PM if you are going to be in the area and we can have coffee and ride a bit.

Phil

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Will do Phil! If I'm up there riding will let you know. Probably won't be until fall though, Barry's Bay for colours in October is awesome.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Will do Phil! If I'm up there riding will let you know. Probably won't be until fall though, Barry's Bay for colours in October is awesome.
Absolutely!

If you haven't already discovered it, check out Alyson's cross Canada tour blog at exploremynation.ca She recently passed through Barry's Bay and the region on her way to the Atlantic.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I'm very happy to report that I've finally found my bike.
A 2014 CTX 700 DCT ABS faired version with a Cee Bailey windshield, honda hard bags & an aftermarket top box.
Low miles at 12000 kms.
Previously imported by (I believe) a member here which meant no paperwork headaches, it had already been done.
I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Congrats!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts