CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am in Canada and am looking to purchase a used or left over 15 or 16 CTX touring model, must be DCT. I am in Central Ontario and therefore within driving distance of Michigan, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and any other nearby border state. The DCT version was not sold in Canada and I have a bad left hand so searching for one.
It would be even better if there are any Canadian members on this board that have already imported one and have it for sale or could offer some advice.
Thank you so much for this great resource!

·
Registered
125 Posts
good luck, I just finished importing one into Mexico and it is very expensive. I helped offset the cost of importing by buying my 2014 CTX700 at auction for 800 dollars us with a salvage title.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hello All,
I am in Canada and am looking to purchase a used or left over 15 or 16 CTX touring model, must be DCT. I am in Central Ontario and therefore within driving distance of Michigan, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and any other nearby border state. The DCT version was not sold in Canada and I have a bad left hand so searching for one.
It would be even better if there are any Canadian members on this board that have already imported one and have it for sale or could offer some advice.
Thank you so much for this great resource!
I can’t help you but welcome to the forum. I’m in Alberta so at least we’re in the same country.
If importing a motorcycle is the same as a car or truck, it’s very difficult although not impossible.
Best of luck in your search!

Glenn

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the well wishes and welcome Bruce and Glenn. I'll keep searching!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Hi Cinder,

Although I work clearing imports coming into the USA, I might be able to get you the legal information from our Toronto office regarding any restriction on the DCT model. If Honda did not sell it in Canada for marketing reasons only, then it may not be too awful. The key is once you find a bike here is to have the proper documentation, instructions, and maybe even a Customs broker to assist. It may cost a fee but it'll be worth it.

I'll get back to you once I find out.

And Bruce, importing into Mexicco is a different kettle of fish than Canada for sure
;)

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ladygadget,
Thank you so much! That is absolutely wonderful of you. I appreciate the help. There are other models here with the DCT option so I suspect it is a marketing issue. From what I gather I have to "check out" with US customs before I bring the bike across into Canada which requires certain documents to be at the border in advance of me showing up with the bike. I have heard that different port of entries can have different procedures and requirements for this. I know I do have to have a letter of compliance from Honda USA or a dealer screenshot showing the vehicle has no outstanding recalls as well.
Again, thank you so much for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Cinder,

Although I work clearing imports coming into the USA, I might be able to get you the legal information from our Toronto office regarding any restriction on the DCT model. If Honda did not sell it in Canada for marketing reasons only, then it may not be too awful. The key is once you find a bike here is to have the proper documentation, instructions, and maybe even a Customs broker to assist. It may cost a fee but it'll be worth it.

I'll get back to you once I find out.

And Bruce, importing into Mexicco is a different kettle of fish than Canada for sure
;)
I think it is different, here it cost me 1700 dollars and took 12 days also the 2014 is the newest you can import here, needs to be 5 years old in Mexico. the important thing is to get the bike you want even if you need to do a little work on it to get it perfect. I love my ctx but even though I will never be able to get it I would like the DCT.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cinder, I imported mine into Alberta last year. Boy that was "fun". The border agents were not a lot of help when calling. As far as the bike beaning legal to drive there was no problems.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I think it is different, here it cost me 1700 dollars and took 12 days also the 2014 is the newest you can import here, needs to be 5 years old in Mexico. the important thing is to get the bike you want even if you need to do a little work on it to get it perfect. I love my ctx but even though I will never be able to get it I would like the DCT.
Well there is that part where you have to prove to US Customs and Border Protection that you own the bike...that's the easy part..
Dealing with Mexican "bureaucracy" from what I understand can be quite expensive. :):):)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Well there is that part where you have to prove to US Customs and Border Protection that you own the bike...that's the easy part..
Dealing with Mexican "bureaucracy" from what I understand can be quite expensive. :):):)
With no intention to be argumentative, isn’t the importation of vehicles regulated under NAFTA? Which should make it equal between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico.

Glenn

Reactions: 350Four

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cinder, I imported mine into Alberta last year. Boy that was "fun". The border agents were not a lot of help when calling. As far as the bike beaning legal to drive there was no problems.
Hi Mellaby,
Did you have to pay duty on your bike? Or just GST?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Hi Ladygadget,
Thank you so much! That is absolutely wonderful of you. I appreciate the help. There are other models here with the DCT option so I suspect it is a marketing issue. From what I gather I have to "check out" with US customs before I bring the bike across into Canada which requires certain documents to be at the border in advance of me showing up with the bike. I have heard that different port of entries can have different procedures and requirements for this. I know I do have to have a letter of compliance from Honda USA or a dealer screenshot showing the vehicle has no outstanding recalls as well.
Again, thank you so much for any advice you can give.
Ok, I already found out that ALL Honda motorcycles are admissible as long as they comply with Canada requirements, like metric speedometer, etc. etc. which we all know to be the case.
First you are going to have to get it out of the US. You will need notify CBP at the port you cross into Canada. You will also need to file an AES 72 hours prior to export at the port you have chosen. I might be able to help with that.

It sounds like you have already researched quite a bit. I will do more research. I will try to find you a few brokers who specialize in personal vehicle imports. Their services may not be cheap, but it might be worth it to get the motorcycle you want with the least amount of pain possible. That will be your decision.

Here are some links designed to confuse the heck out of you.

Importing vehicles purchased in the United States - Transport Canada
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Before You Import
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - U.S. Customs
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle

Reactions: 350Four

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
With no intention to be argumentative, isn’t the importation of vehicles regulated under NAFTA? Which should make it equal between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico.

Glenn
The motorcycle's country of origin is Japan. It was assembled/manufactured entirely in Japan, even though a bunch of the parts are from everywhere. I am not sure if the first importation into a NAFTA member nation gives it any break on duty as I'm not an expert on Canada-US transactions. Even if it does, there's a whole lot of other hoops to jump through then. But you ask a very good question and I'll be sure to find out.

BTW, my company's Canadian branch handles the imports for H-D - those are commercial entries but hopefully I can acquire some general insight.

Reactions: Grburkart

·
Premium Member
200 Posts

It's easy if you use a broker and got money. Try going to the US government web sit to get your Shipper's Export Declaration and ITN number.
That's what the AES filing is about and you will also have to email in advance the title paperwork to the CBP officers where you plan to cross the border. Like I said Cinder, I can help you with attaining an ITN and filing the AES..When you get there, we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Ladygadget for the info and the links. I'll check them all out. What is an AES?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Thanks again Ladygadget for the info and the links. I'll check them all out. What is an AES?
It's the Automated Export System. Back in the not so long ago day, one filed a 7 page carbon copied form to declare an export was about to happen. It had to be filed with US Customs manually, then bits and pieces of the form were sent to the Census Bureau, Commerce Dept and a couple of other agencies. With AES, all the information each agency requires is sent electronically.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
This isn’t motorcycle related but it is import related. My limited experience in this is my son bought a 1975 Ford F-250 in Caldwell, Idaho and he had to import in to Canada, of course.
He started out trying to do this by himself but it quickly became overwhelming and he needed a broker. The age of the truck made it easier and it was still hard for him.
One thing we learned is not to rush things or set a time frame. We tried pushing it and the more we pushed, the more frustrating it became. So allow yourself lots and lots of time.
He hired a broker, which he basically was forced to do, and that was a total money pit. I think the bill was over $1200.00 so it’s not for the faint of heart. I don’t know if it makes a difference but that was on an $18,000 truck and not a $7000.00 motorcycle.
Crossing the border with the paperwork in order made it easy, kind of. But once we did get to Canadian customs we had to pay the GST. We didn’t have to pay duty because of the age of the vehicle.
I hope this story helps in giving you an idea of what’s in store.

Glenn

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fantastic! Thank you.
Now to find a bike.....lol

btw-we've ridden to California, what a beautiful state!

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Glenn. Input is appreciated, it's still a similar situation and the advice is valuable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts