CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for adding some generic side cases to my bike, I purchased a set of the redesigned JFC brackets last year. Now comes the hard part -- deciding on a look and brand that I like which does not have a proprietary mounting system. I like the looks of the OEM cases, but there's the cost (the reason I'm going with after-market). I know Mutazu has some cases that resemble the OEM design, but I've read about issues with the latches breaking easily. What I'm looking for is something not too large (that doesn't stick out too far) and isn't too boxy looking. I know... I'm asking for a lot. But if anyone has some cases on their CTX that they think might fit my requirements, I'd love to hear about them and see pics of what they look like installed. I'd prefer hard cases, but would also be open to semi-rigid as long as they could be put on the JFC brackets.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
307 Posts
I have the OEM cases and I’d say to stay away from any briefcase/clamshell style. They’re annoying. Something with top access would be a lot better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Mutazu saddlebags. Although they are cheap plastic shells, I think they look great and match the bike color exactly. I haven't had an issue with the latch, but I did have cracking at the mounting point on one of the bags. I reinforced it on the inside with fiberglass and haven't had a problem since. They would be low cost (compared with other bags), lightweight, and probably easy to mount on the JFC brakets. If you have handholds on the back of your bike, you may need spacers to extend your bags out so that the handholds do not interfere with opening and closing the bags. They do rattle a little bit because of the plastic lid hitting the bag. I plan to line the edge with foam or rubber to eliminate it. So far, the bags have served me well.

Mutazu Universal LW Hard Saddlebag - Burgundy Red

bike rear view.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm assuming you've done it but, if not, there are a whole bunch of pictures in the various threads in this subforum. Personally I'm going to try to get some Viking Lamellar bags mounted this year. Just an FYI but if anyone wants some of them there are two very good deals for used ones on eBay right now.

Steve

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I chose the Mutazu model FY bags in silver. I painted the tops black to fit with the bike's color scheme. They are not big, but I liked the fact that they had running lights. (I changed the bulbs to LEDs) They will easily mount to JFC Bracketz.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
here's my red bike before the crash with oem Honda bags.
and here is my Blue bike, with cheap Ebay bags that are just great. I bought them because of the plastic lenses that allow me to put LED lights behind so I can be more visibile.
I added the top-box, with more lights!
blue bike 2.jpg
blue bike 4.jpg
blue bike 10.jpg
centerstand.jpg
blue bike 5.jpg

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ross, I believe those eBay bags are the ones that I've seen people complain about the latches being easily broken. Have you had any issues with them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I only have one photo of my new GIVI bags on the bike. They replace a smaller model that I had for four years before the straps started to fall apart from being run under the seat. Even so, I'll probably run them under again in the near future. As inexpensive as they are, I'll just replace them again in a few years. The biggest downsides are that they fade to gray in the sun, and it's a little bit of a pain to stop and throw on rain covers, and the covers only stop the worst of the rain. If I'm going to be out riding a distance, I keep big ziplock bags in them to keep things dry.

I'm not sure how you could run these with the custom mounts.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Ross, I believe those eBay bags are the ones that I've seen people complain about the latches being easily broken. Have you had any issues with them?
Yes, they are cheap. mine arrived with two broken latches, but they had sent two spares along.
so I added a lot of my gunstock glass bedding compound, and that did the trick.
This glass compound can withstand the shock of a .338 Winchester Magnum. It holds up beautifully.
The point is, these are really inexpensive saddlebags. I think I paid 169.00 for them. I had to get a bit creative with the mounts.
and I needed to strengthen the latches.
I added the lights and wired them right up. My rear end visibility is incredible. Especially with the top box that i added, and then added lights to it.
So I have plenty of storage, plenty of comfort for my wife with the backrest on that top box. And I feel a bit safer with all the light back there.

here are some pics of the latches before and after I filled them.
clasp 1.jpg
clasp 2.jpg
clasp filled 1.jpg
clasp filled 2.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Mutazu saddlebags. Although they are cheap plastic shells, I think they look great and match the bike color exactly. I haven't had an issue with the latch, but I did have cracking at the mounting point on one of the bags. I reinforced it on the inside with fiberglass and haven't had a problem since. They would be low cost (compared with other bags), lightweight, and probably easy to mount on the JFC brakets. If you have handholds on the back of your bike, you may need spacers to extend your bags out so that the handholds do not interfere with opening and closing the bags. They do rattle a little bit because of the plastic lid hitting the bag. I plan to line the edge with foam or rubber to eliminate it. So far, the bags have served me well.

Mutazu Universal LW Hard Saddlebag - Burgundy Red

View attachment 87817
Bro those are neat saddlebags despite the plastic. Really, the verticle storage feature stands out to me the most since I do quite a bit of grocery shopping on my CTX ;) packing milk and meat horizontally with the OEM saddlebags can be quite the hassle haha. Good stuff and thanks for sharing man.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts