CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of the slip on exhaust on the bike. The bike looks pretty good and sounds great. Attaching the exhaust was easy and here are some notes:

1. the mounting bar will have to be bent a little in order to mount with the bracket on the body but its just a slight bend

2. the exhaust just slips on but I used some silicone gasket seal to ensure a good seal, the exhaust collar works but it is just a piece of metal and I think the seal works better

3. I used red threadlock on the bracket on the body and on the mounting bar to ensure that the exhaust does not shake off. I put some on the exhaust collar as well but Im not sure that it wont get too hot for it to fail.

4. I added some high temperature paint to the area around the exhaust in order to match the color of the bike and the color of the exhaust. In my close up photo youll see the paint as it is curing and right now its a darker black that matches the bike, which you can see in the last photo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks J...I have one on order and this was helpful...it looks like your is pointed slightly down and not out at 90 degree angle (unless it just looks that way in the picture angle)....was there any strategic reason you angled it like that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks J...I have one on order and this was helpful...it looks like your is pointed slightly down and not out at 90 degree angle (unless it just looks that way in the picture angle)....was there any strategic reason you angled it like that?
it was how the bend on the metal mounting bar altered the installation, but also it pointing downward is helpful for exhaust and for noise

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is the weight saving of the Voodoo vs the stock muffler??
Less weight from the Voodoo may well yield more net performance gain than more noise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the weight saving of the Voodoo vs the stock muffler??
Less weight from the Voodoo may well yield more net performance gain than more noise.
its significantly lighter and the acceleration is better, top speed seems the be the same

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really like the look of this. I have been looking for a different option from stock but wasn't sure what I wanted. I like the deep growl/pop I get when I take the stock muffler off, but its too loud for the area I live. Do you have a video of what this sounds like?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the look of this. I have been looking for a different option from stock but wasn't sure what I wanted. I like the deep growl/pop I get when I take the stock muffler off, but its too loud for the area I live. Do you have a video of what this sounds like?
Unfortunately I dont have a video and I have already put some scrubbers into the tube to make sure that it is not TOO loud, so I dont have a sample of the original sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jobe,
Thank you again for this post. I just installed my voodoo of the same model and its fantastic. I bent the bracket a little because I actually like the look of the opening facing slightly down. It gives me the growl like having no muffler, but does dampen the volume enough to be manageable. If my HOA complains I might try what you did and add some scrubbers. Do you mind telling me where you got yours just in case?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jobe,
Thank you again for this post. I just installed my voodoo of the same model and its fantastic. I bent the bracket a little because I actually like the look of the opening facing slightly down. It gives me the growl like having no muffler, but does dampen the volume enough to be manageable. If my HOA complains I might try what you did and add some scrubbers. Do you mind telling me where you got yours just in case?
I actually went to a 99 cent store but basically I got these:

and put them on the engine side of the install so that the internal baffles (metal pieces) hold it in place. The SS doesnt break down like steel wool and keeps its shape with the heat. Just make sure the packing seems tight and you can fit in the exhaust onto the part from the engine without pushing against it (you dont want to scrubbers putting presure against it as it might push the exhaust out.

I also put red locktite on the nut and bolt to make sure that it all stays inplace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts