CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was starting to get nervous this Spring with inattentive automobile drivers making left turns in front of me. I decided to add some LED lighting front and back to try to improve visibility. Thanks to @explorecaves wiring harness, it was easy to tap into the switched power to add running lights. I added red LED bulbs to my Mutazu saddle bag light fixtures, and some Soyavision white LED lights to my recently added Fehling crash bars. The total package only added 1/3 Amp to the overall current drain. ( I fused the additions at 5 A) The lights are actually brighter than the pics show.

I'm happy with the new look, and we'll see if it makes me more visible on the roads. My wife says it does. Here are a few pics. The Soyavision lights are very inexpensive, so not sure how they'll hold up, but I can upgrade them if needed.

Back-2-b.jpg
Front-1-b.jpg
Front-2-b.jpg

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Looking good Prof!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great weather today, so I took a 50-mile ride along the Lake shore to Pultneyville....one of my favorites. I think the lights were working. Got lots of double-takes, and even the oncoming Harley riders waved to me. (That's new):oops:
Even better, no one turned in front of me, so keeping my fingers crossed. (y)
Hoping to get lots of riding in this summer. I stay in the country if possible,

Ride safe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Awesome news on the increased visibility Prof. I have Skene Photon Blasters still in the box for my VFR. They have patented technology on their lights that create a flash or a flicker when the light is presented in someone's peripheral. They are very bright forward-facing too but do not appear to flicker when one is looking straight at them. Anyhow, I had them on another bike and they all but eliminated pull-outs from side roads, parking lots, etc. Really a fantastic product. Just in case you were interested. Your bike looks great and I am glad that the solution reduced the pullouts!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I have Skene Photon Blasters still in the box for my VFR... Really a fantastic product.
Agree on the Skenes. I have a set (front and rear) that have followed me around on all 3 of my bikes each time I've upgraded. Though a bit pricey, they work great. Unfortunately, I apparently damaged the rear set somehow during the last transfer to my CTX and I lost the "conspicuity flicker" feature on them. But they do still flash when I hit the brakes and that's the main reason I bought them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Agreed. I've had people look right at me and then pull out. My defense is to ride as often as possible about 40 feet behind another vehicle. No one can pull into the empty space in front of me if there is no empty space in front of me.

Steve

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was starting to get nervous this Spring with inattentive automobile drivers making left turns in front of me. I decided to add some LED lighting front and back to try to improve visibility. Thanks to @explorecaves wiring harness, it was easy to tap into the switched power to add running lights. I added red LED bulbs to my Mutazu saddle bag light fixtures, and some Soyavision white LED lights to my recently added Fehling crash bars. The total package only added 1/3 Amp to the overall current drain. ( I fused the additions at 5 A) The lights are actually brighter than the pics show.

I'm happy with the new look, and we'll see if it makes me more visible on the roads. My wife says it does. Here are a few pics. The Soyavision lights are very inexpensive, so not sure how they'll hold up, but I can upgrade them if needed.

View attachment 86260 View attachment 86261 View attachment 86262

View attachment 86260 View attachment 86261 View attachment 86262
Thanks for the photos...nice bike....Question ....I have a 2017 CTX DCT and was wondering if the Fehling crash bars would fit my bike?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks for the photos...nice bike....Question ....I have a 2017 CTX DCT and was wondering if the Fehling crash bars would fit my bike?
The Fehling only fits the naked model without critical modifications. @bob witte did a write up on what needed to be modified for the fairing version.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Only if you have them modified. Both sides need to "push out" a bit which means cutting the center mount and adding 1.125" or so. I did it by gluing on a bronze bushing that fit perfectly. Since mine is a trike, the engine "protection" bars don't need any real strength (they are just for show). A two wheel installation can have that "sleeve" welded in to maintain the original strength.

Here's the link to my original posting:

:cool:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Ruby. As @explorecaves and Bob Witte noted, the Fehling bars are designed for the naked CTX only. Here is an interesting alternative that may interest you. These will fit both CTX versions:

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
347 Posts
Being a longtime commuter, I always add lights and 3M reflective tape, front, back and sides, to improve visibility. Of course, I still assume drivers are too distracted to notice me (or anyone else), and ride appropriately defensively at all times.

LED headlights and spots on my fork illuminate me from the front. Adding LED brake lights to my Givi topcase, plus putting 3M white reflective sheets behind the red lenses of the topcase, help in back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts