CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Evening update 3.25.20 time 17:16 MS
Total confirmed cases 467,594 up 8,000 from noon. Total deaths 21,181 up nearly 400 from noon. US 65,778 cases up over 3000 since noon, with 60+ more deaths. EU CDC is warning of complete collapse of EU medical system, with overwhelming patient numbers. Confirmed death of a "child teen" under 18 years old in the US. China's use of "recovery" does not match western ideas but seems that the recovery rate is slightly less than 1/3 of the cases at this time. The stimulus bill is still up for grabs, and actual passage, even if presented is still not assured. Like they say, it is not passed till it is passed, and what is passed may not do anything for the people. Beaches in CA and FL still teaming with March break students, and since no school, will likely continue to do so.

I am getting cabin fever.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks...I enjoyed the bigger picture, more expansive thinking of this video... very inspiration and uplifting without being New Age wishful thinking....." The definition of Virus: code that copies itself corrupting the old system and dismantling what is no longer of service so the new code-information-can appear."

·
Registered
632 Posts
You answered all of my questions. Information on this is crazy. The size of the virus was my concern considering they are saying nothing about the possibility of it being partially air born if there is such a thing.

Thanks for the straight info.
Following the SARS situation where Toronto was particularly hit hard, resources were set up including the establishment of the Public Health Agency of Canada. They note that the major causes are respiratory droplets created when one coughs or sneezes (or talks, in many cases), close personal contact (shaking hands, air kisses or hugs) or touching something that has the virus then touching your face before washing hands. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html?topic=tilelink

Additional precautions also need to be taken in certain medical procedures including intubation where increased precautions should always be taken, even in the absense of covid 19 virus. Here is an interesting site for and by medical professionals (for added benefits in addition to CDC, etc.) https://canadiem.org/recommendations-for-covid-19-intubation-an-infographic/ Interesting that they note the date of the update, recognizing how quickly knowlege is changing.

Our Quarantine Act has been invoked as, unfortunately, some stupid, selfish and thoughtless Canadians are ignoring directions to directly self isolate at home after returning to Canada, many of whom had just driven through New York which is being particularly hard hit. Penalties can be wide ranging, including fines and imprisonment. One suggestion that people should lose their passport may hit harder should the government consider it. People are getting angry at such action and will likely be calling the info lines that are being set up.

We are in a comletely different situation that during the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918. All the instant sources of communication, yet so many think the rules don't apply to them.

Unfortunately, politicians will try to make points, as happened recently in both US and Canada. In the end, it seems most are looking at the overall greater good. Relief packages of $107 Billion in Canada and over $3Trillion in the US are being in place; these will cover the next 3 months only. Lets hope the seriousness of this is recognized, or that preventive measure are followed even if people don't accept the nature of the problem, and that things get under control in the near future.

Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Update 9.23 MST 3/26/20 As predicted currently 500,542 cases worldwide up 40,000 since yesterday. Deaths 22,334 up 1,000. China 81,782 cases, up 110 since yesterday. It appears the second modal may be activated. US 74,982 up 7,000. Deaths, deaths 1,078. We may have displaced Italy for number two. However Italy is not currently reporting as things fall apart. We have lost the eastern seaboard as the virus progresses west. Spread to new countries in Northern Africa continues, Lybia is now reporting, Spain reported 6,652 new cases overnight with another 498 deaths. No one has based confirmed cases on population density per country. I would be interesting to see cases per 100,000/sq mile. It might give us a better understanding as to isolation attempts.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
I believe I had mentioned that communications, internet and energy grid may start to break down. From the BBC. Hopefully we do not start cut backs on electrical etc.
BBC will stop streaming shows in ultra high definition as part of efforts to reduce strain on the internet, the British public service broadcaster said Thursday.
“As a precautionary measure, we will no longer make programmes on BBC iPlayer available in Ultra High-Definition. We will keep the situation under review and are in contact with the relevant organisations to determine if and when further action might be required," a spokesperson told CNN.​
Other streaming services — like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube — have also reduced the quality of their streams in Europe after requests by EU officials as part of measures to make sure everyone can get online during the coronavirus pandemic.
The spokesperson added that the network's iPlayer already streams at different video quality levels, adapting to the amount of bandwidth available and the device being used.

Russia finally reporting as the problem becomes serious. Moscow closes down: All cafes, parks and stores (except grocery stores, delivery kitchens and pharmacies) will shut until April 5 after Russia saw its sharpest spike in the past 24 hours, reaching 840 cases and three deaths. Putin said last week Russia had managed to slow the spread of coronavirus thanks to early and aggressive measures. Of course this week it's a different story.

Some new facts death rate on total values now stands at 16%. A major jump from the 10% previously. Although skewed, recovery rate is at 20% with approximately 80% still with active virus. Italy has now claimed back its second place with 80,539 cases and a 6,153 deaths overnight. They were trying to claim that they were on a downward curve. Apparently not so.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Update at noon 12;20 MST 520,395 cases, 10,000 up since morning. Deaths 23,593 up 550 since AM. US 79,082 up 5,000 since am, deaths 1,143 up 100 since AM. Politicians keep saying the tide has turned, only to be disproven wrong. It would be better to say nothing. CDC is in "near panic" as modelling does not show what they want to see, and results are even worse. Apparently hospitals are considering a total DNR on Covid19 patients, regardless of family wishes. This may have to be approved on a state government basis. Hospital personnel are becoming infected rapidly now and of course politics is being applied to using retired health care workers. (Something about state liability). It would appear that those who are in their 80s and above will be culled from the population at the rate this is going, while infections are occurring from age 18 up. I might add that at this time the sequelae of these infections is unknown and a co-morbidity may yet be in the offing for those infected.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Update 15:18 PM MST 3/26/20, BAD NEWS. As of this time there is now 82,547 up 3000a active cases in the US with 1182 deaths up 200 from last report. US is now in first place for number of cases ahead of both China and Italy. Total cases worldwide now at 528,198 up 8,000 with 23,942 deaths up 400. China only reports once a day so Chinese update tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,207 Posts
Nearly all of your posts are about the most depressing, with death and with what seams to be the end of the world information.

Let's turn that around and also post positive information that nobody ever publishes shall we, it is NOT the end of humanity! One, getting it is not a certainty of death! Most cases are mild, not severe to death. The recovery rate is slow, two to six weeks on average. All of this is still relatively new(particularly in the states), within a few weeks you will see the recovery rates spike up in the same manner as the infection rate did. There is just a 2-6 week healing lag.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#recovered

Have you noticed how the low number of deaths always seam to be the focus of this subject? Bad and crazy media always sells. Very sad that this is what humans are entertained with rather than good and joy...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe I had mentioned that communications, internet and energy grid may start to break down. From the BBC. Hopefully we do not start cut backs on electrical etc.
BBC will stop streaming shows in ultra high definition as part of efforts to reduce strain on the internet, the British public service broadcaster said Thursday.
“As a precautionary measure, we will no longer make programmes on BBC iPlayer available in Ultra High-Definition. We will keep the situation under review and are in contact with the relevant organisations to determine if and when further action might be required," a spokesperson told CNN.​
Other streaming services — like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube — have also reduced the quality of their streams in Europe after requests by EU officials as part of measures to make sure everyone can get online during the coronavirus pandemic.
The spokesperson added that the network's iPlayer already streams at different video quality levels, adapting to the amount of bandwidth available and the device being used.

Russia finally reporting as the problem becomes serious. Moscow closes down: All cafes, parks and stores (except grocery stores, delivery kitchens and pharmacies) will shut until April 5 after Russia saw its sharpest spike in the past 24 hours, reaching 840 cases and three deaths. Putin said last week Russia had managed to slow the spread of coronavirus thanks to early and aggressive measures. Of course this week it's a different story.

Some new facts death rate on total values now stands at 16%. A major jump from the 10% previously. Although skewed, recovery rate is at 20% with approximately 80% still with active virus. Italy has now claimed back its second place with 80,539 cases and a 6,153 deaths overnight. They were trying to claim that they were on a downward curve. Apparently not so.
Recovery rates are implausible, because health care obviously waits at least two weeks after all symptoms are gone, people are not controlled after they have left hospitals and it also simply depends on the testing activity - less tests and only more severe cases are tested. It is much easier to count deaths. This is only obvious, not trying to split hairs. In Helsinki our mayor gave yesterday some inside information, hospitals are very cautious and don't give numbers of recovered. In Helsinki we have 350 tested positive cases, of which 3 deaths and 100 recovered! Estimating this sampling I get 10-11 deaths and 339-340 recovered. The death rate would be around 3% on our recent testing activity. This is near our best case result and if we meet the same chaos than Italy and Spain the death rate will be higher.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Recovery rates are implausible, because health care obviously waits at least two weeks after all symptoms are gone, people are not controlled after they have left hospitals and it also simply depends on the testing activity - less tests and only more severe cases are tested. It is much easier to count deaths. This is only obvious, not trying to split hairs. In Helsinki our mayor gave yesterday some inside information, hospitals are very cautious and don't give numbers of recovered. In Helsinki we have 350 tested positive cases, of which 3 deaths and 100 recovered! Estimating this sampling I get 10-11 deaths and 339-340 recovered. The death rate would be around 3% on our recent testing activity. This is near our best case result and if we meet the same chaos than Italy and Spain the death rate will be higher.
The problem with this is you are totally ignoring all of the unreported cases. Surely the death rate is much lower than advertised.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Recovery rates are implausible, because health care obviously waits at least two weeks after all symptoms are gone, people are not controlled after they have left hospitals and it also simply depends on the testing activity - less tests and only more severe cases are tested. It is much easier to count deaths. This is only obvious, not trying to split hairs. In Helsinki our mayor gave yesterday some inside information, hospitals are very cautious and don't give numbers of recovered. In Helsinki we have 350 tested positive cases, of which 3 deaths and 100 recovered! Estimating THIS SAMPLING I get 10-11 deaths and 339-340 recovered. The death rate would be around 3% on our recent testing activity. This is near our best case result and if we meet the same chaos than Italy and Spain the death rate will be higher.
The problem with this is you are totally ignoring all of the unreported cases. Surely the death rate is much lower than advertised.
"this sampling". Of course there is unknown amount unrecorded cases, but I mentioned that the result depends on the testing activity and no one knows how many positive cases are spreading viruses among us.

·
Registered
993 Posts
howdy--this is not hi-jacking this thread

have you ever heard of "war of the worlds"? 1938 radio program which caused panic because it was taken as truth by those who didn't understand the context. could we be experiencing the same thing on a worldwide big screen? if so, ask some basic questions such as; what is the purpose?
i'll let it go at that---
check it out
ken

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
All I can say is that the whole system is a mess with a checkerboard approach for each state. Numbers are under reported. I just attended a conference. Many are getting secondary bacterial infections with the Covid, The virus also attacks the heart elevating troponins and LDH. D Dimer are also elevated and it is behaving very much like a disseminated intervascular coagulation (clots) applicable to the lungs. Platlet levels are low as well as lymphs. I can give you numbers of recovery, but there is too much variability in what is considered recovered. There have been some exacerbations with so called recovery. The infection is now well established in the US, and the younger generation are refusing to isolate. As well as churches violating non gatherings. China's count is now 81897 up another 110 from yesterday. I cannot yet identify the second node, but if the numbers start to reach 200 new cases then it has returned to China.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Today's update 3/27/20 855 AM MST Total cases now 565, 009 up 40,000 from yesterday. Total deaths 25410, up 2,000. US 92,206 up 10,000 from yesterday. (Isolation is not working) Total deaths 1371, up 200 from yesterday. China is again on the rise of new cases.

·
Registered
145 Posts

have you ever heard of "war of the worlds"? 1938 radio program which caused panic because it was taken as truth by those who didn't understand the context. could we be experiencing the same thing on a worldwide big screen? if so, ask some basic questions such as; what is the purpose?
check it out
ken
Virus has no other "purpose" than multiply. Although I am not totally a materialist, I wouldn't go on with any other purposes.

·
Registered
632 Posts

have you ever heard of "war of the worlds"? 1938 radio program which caused panic because it was taken as truth by those who didn't understand the context. could we be experiencing the same thing on a worldwide big screen?
ken
NO.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

check it out
ken

Yes George Orwell. Radio show created mass panic in New York . However if anything there is no panic. Generally the younger generations are partying, and social distancing is not working. This is a pandemic, we had one with the Spanish Flu that killed 500,000 people and lasted two years. Everything will return to a pseudo normal but will never be the same. A lot of small businesses will be gone in 6 months and germaphobia is likely to take over the population.

Will have update at noon. Not good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am not being argumentative or contrary. Social distancing does work, period. The guidance is just not being respected which is the problem. But, creating herd immunity by allowing the infection to spread among the stronger younger population has its merits too. Obviously, that cannot be controlled but conceptually is effective.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Update at noon. 12:01 MST Total cases now 585,000. up from this am by 20,000. Total dead 26,827. Up 1,500 form AM. US Confirmed cases 96,968 up 750 from this AM. Deaths 1,477 up 107. Italy cases 86,498 up 5,909 since yesterdaywith 9,134 days an increase of 919. New York Governor is in a state of pure panic looking for someone to blame. Wants to put his state above the rest of the country. British PM is covid +ve. Sweden is lifting isolation ban, finding no difference with and without distancing.

61 - 80 of 250 Posts