CTX 700 Forum banner

321 - 324 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
What state would do such a classification? How would there be a financial advantage for a state to classify a death as covid related?

Any state that was poorly run to begin with such as Illinois, Michigan, New York, and California. Exaggerate the current condition so that more funding comes their way. Wag the dog.

Hospitals get paid more when Covid or suspected Covid is added as a Diagnosis Code. The billable CPT or HCPCS code universe opens wide up and billers have pretty much carte blanche in what they submit to private insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. Reimbursement rates for Covid related treatment are increased through the CARES act.

From what I have seen, Trump and the GOP dominated senate have resisted any funding or reimbursement for covid testing or financial assistance to states be they Democratic or Republican dominated.

Entirely inaccurate. Well, it may not be inaccurate that you have not seen it but there is no basis of fact to support that opinion. Trump codified the below into law, which is just a tiny portion of all of the relief he and the Senate have authorized.
  • Not sure if you are separating reimbursement for testing and financial assistance to the states but both are occurring at historical rates and are separate ledgers
  • Billions have been sent to the individual states to pay for testing for those on government policies (Medicaid is a state/federal program where costs are shared between the two entities)
  • Tests performed by the CDC, or by labs ordered by the CDC to conduct Co19 tests, are free of charge to the patient
  • Co19 testing was added as an essential health benefit (EHB) through the CARES act meaning that the services must be covered by all private and public payers
  • Co19 testing, as an EHB, is covered under Medicare, no cost to the patient because of the CARES act
  • Co19 testing, as an EHB, is covered under Medicaid, no cost to the patient because of the CARES act
  • Certain private plans do not have to cover the testing, however, the CARES act identifies those few individuals as uninsured and reimburses the providers and labs for the administration/analysis performed at no cost to the patient
  • Private labs certified by the CDC to perform Co19 tests can bill private insurers, whether they are contracted or not (par/nonpar, out of network/in-network) at no cost to the patient
  • All copays, deductibles, or any other cost-sharing related to Co19 is waived through the CARES act
  • Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement rates were increased by CMS as authorized through the CARES act
I think these are pretty overt examples of funding for testing and support to the populace, the states, and the healthcare system.

I am aghast at how Trump has been handling things.

Name a national leader who is managing this flawlessly. It is impossible. Too early, too late; Trump gets criticized. Too much, too little; Trump gets criticized. Did you expect a perfect response that entirely eliminated the spread of this virus? Did you expect that all needs would be anticipated and provided for? If so, that is idealistic and untenable.
No leader accomplished anything more than Trump has in response to this pandemic. Most leaders performed at a much lower level. And it is no surprise that at a state level the leaders who were performing poorly prior to the pandemic continue down that same broken road. Could things have been better? Maybe, I'll even go so far as probably. Things could have been worse too. Every leader across the globe gets no better than a "c" grade on their response. We can find successes and failures in every national response, period.

Do you think Trudeau did a better job than Trump (not that you suggested he has...legit question)? No way, and in a country that has a population less than the State of California, with universal healthcare. For God's sake he was literally apathetic early on then went into scramble mode, now...finger-pointing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
In the mean time actual verbal reports out of China have them laughing and trying to now find differences between the two systems. Let's see since COVID, we are bring told how to act, how to live, being lied to constantly, being pushed around by military, police, and power hungry little Napoleons. There should be some very interesting master and PhD papers coming out of China soon on comparative authoritarian governments during times of crisis.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Vulcan, I forget the figure at the moment, but I was listening to NPR and they were speaking about the health care "industry" in the U.S. and that really struck me. I don't believe we should approach health care as an industry. When I think of industry, what comes to mind is production, a means to generate profit. On the program they gave the percentage of the gross domestic product and I was astounded that it commanded such a large percentage of our GDP. I just looked and the latest figures were for 2017 and it was 17.1%, and as a comparison, defense spending was only 3.1% of the GDP. We hear a lot of debate about the amount spent on defense in the U.S. but as a percentage of the GDP, it is only one fifth of what we spend on the healthcare "industry". In my opinion we definitely are NOT getting our proper return on investment when it comes to health care in this country. I for one do not see where the money is going, it is definitely not going to health care of the citizens, especially if one does not have insurance. I wish we did have a system like Canada has and those I have spoken with about it feel as you do, they would not trade it.
I agree. "sector" would be a better term than "industry". When you think of the scope, it is huge. Local GPs, physios, blood clinics, hospitals, other labs for CT and MRI's etc then you add on the insurance component and the legal ones. Then you have the related pharmcy business.

While our system is universal, problems remain, including wait times for some surgeries and availability of doctors and other resources in both rural and urban areas.

If someone was in a serious motorcycle accident, and survived, they would likely be taken to a regional trauma unit then a regional hospital then hopefully hope for recuperation and physio. For those less fortunate, they may end up in a long term facilty where the costs (like physio and drugs) are not covered, but can be subsidized based on income.

There is still lots of money being made on medicine whereever you are.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do you think Trudeau did a better job than Trump (not that you suggested he has...legit question)? No way, and in a country that has a population less than the State of California, with universal healthcare. For God's sake he was literally apathetic early on then went into scramble mode, now...finger-pointing.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Trump and Trudeau being transplanted to Wuhan for a few weeks to study the situation in person. Both of them seem to have taken every opportunity to put themselves in front of the media for their personal advantage. Trudeau has not been a overt with some of his statements (no bleach or UV for treatment), but then again he grew up in the political spotlight and should know better. He is very good at telling people to do one thing and doing another (Easter weekend he crossed into Quebec for family outing with his entourage when mere mortals were screened out by the cops at the provincial borders). I think Trump would have been envious of how Trudeau has been able to sideline opposition parties and narrowly missed out on bypassing parliament for 18 months!).

Worse than that, at a time when China was cornering the market on PPE, especially N95 masks, Trudeau shipped 16 tons of PPE to China and has refused to criticize that totalitarian state not because they have illegally apprehended and tortured 2 Canadians in retaliation for our arresting Huawei's CFO at the request of the US but because he is in search of a seat on the UN security council.

At least we have the freedom to criticize our governments, unlike those who live in China and Russia.

As to who has done it better, Taiwan and Germany have both done a significant job. Perhaps it is because they have national programs and direction and can administer matters directly, but also because they recognized the problem and took action earlier.

321 - 324 of 324 Posts