CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence about purchasing a 700 dct. I have owned small and large bikes. It seems like the smaller bikes have vibrations at highway speeds, meaning 65+. My Yamaha 950 had what I would consider a buzz feeling. Didn't like it. Hard to find any videos of anyone really talking about highway driving. I live in the desert where 95% of driving will be in the open with winds/etc. Any constructive input is welcome. Pls don't tell me to do a search. I have.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It is a mid level engine, and at high speeds it does have a slight vibration. I had a Harley Nightrod 1130cc and it vibrated as well. Part of it is from the pavement.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Had a 05 Suzuki M50 Blvd for 12 years & liked it a lot. Problem was over 70mph, always felt like it needed a 6th gear. I consider my "C" to be relatively smooth & comfortable @ highway speeds. That said, throttle grip vibrates a bit due to design, which is not unusual. If I can only own one bike, very happy that it is my CTX700D!:)

·
Registered
805 Posts
CTX engine is very smooth at highway speeds, especially considering it only has 2 cylinders. Runs relatively low RPMs as well (no "buzzing").

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The closest CTX to me is over 250 miles away. At least one that I can test drive. A long way to test drive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Realistically that is the only way that YOU are going to be able to determine if the ride quality meets your standard. I bought my DCT solely because I'm old and falling apart and could no longer ride my Shadow 1100 without my hands going numb after 20 minutes. Several on this forum said how smooth the ride is. IMHO my Shadow is a far smoother ride. Several on this forum said it is the smoothest bike they ever rode. IMHO they have never ridden a heavy touring bike like an Ultra Classic.

Make the drive and do a test ride. Long shot but post something on Facebook and see if someone local might be willing to help out.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700, 2014 CTX1300
22 Posts
Totally different animal, but the CTX1300 is WAY smoother at highway speeds.

What do you intend to use the bike for?
If you'll be primarily on the highway, I'd recommend you consider something else.

CTX700 is not the worst bike on the highway, but the highway is probably my least favorite type of riding on this bike. Somewhat because of some minor vibration, somewhat because it is lacking in power if trying to pass or remove yourself from a blindspot or other dangerous situation.

I love it for anywhere 0-65 MPH.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
As others have said, slight buzz in handlebars, I use foam grips and a throttle buster to help. Taking breaks while riding also helps. Best mid engine bike I've ridden, and I too was spoiled by tour bikes.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
461 Posts
Speaking as a regular day trip rider, I can say buzz is almost nonexistent at 65-70, and something like grip puppies (and, of course, gloves) minimizes it even further; I can do a full day trip and not be aware of any vibration or discomfort.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in the desert and won't be riding in the city, therefore mostly open road whether it be superslabs or backroads. Riding in the desert in much different than city riding.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I live in the desert and won't be riding in the city, therefore mostly open road whether it be superslabs or backroads. Riding in the desert in much different than city riding.
Think Goldwing....

Reactions: KsOcean and dgall

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looking at where you live on Google maps and looking at your roads with street view I would have to buy a Goldwing or big bore adventure bike like a BMW GS or Africa Twin. You don’t have many roads to choose from so you will have to travel far to see some new scenery and not get bored and the Goldwing is the perfect bike for that. An adventure bike would allow you to explore the excellent scenery of the side roads in your area and is also good for touring with large fuel tanks for increased range. You can pick up used low mileage Goldwings for under $10,000. The CTX is a highway capable bike with horsepower specs closer to a 650 or less with minimal fairing protection.
Pahrump · Nevada

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've owned 2 goldwings and a couple large Yamaha's. At 71 my legs ain't what they used to be. Goldwings are heavy beasts and I love them, but just way to heavy. Can't flat foot.
You are correct about the not having many roads to choose from.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Totally different animal, but the CTX1300 is WAY smoother at highway speeds.

What do you intend to use the bike for?
If you'll be primarily on the highway, I'd recommend you consider something else.

CTX700 is not the worst bike on the highway, but the highway is probably my least favorite type of riding on this bike. Somewhat because of some minor vibration, somewhat because it is lacking in power if trying to pass or remove yourself from a blindspot or other dangerous situation.

I love it for anywhere 0-65 MPH.

Just my opinion.
Depends on the quality of the highway pavement. You probably have noticed changes in road noises when driving. Smoother rubberized pavement, less vibrations on bike. When the road noise is loud, I found my bike vibrated more. The vibration was never a problem though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The closest CTX to me is over 250 miles away. At least one that I can test drive. A long way to test drive.
I have a low mileage (2400 miles) 2015 w/ DCT in blue. Nearly new condition, but a little small for my 6’ 1” frame. I’m just above Tucson in SaddleBrooke - about 90 minutes from Phoenix. You can DM me [email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am on the fence about purchasing a 700 dct. I have owned small and large bikes. It seems like the smaller bikes have vibrations at highway speeds, meaning 65+. My Yamaha 950 had what I would consider a buzz feeling. Didn't like it. Hard to find any videos of anyone really talking about highway driving. I live in the desert where 95% of driving will be in the open with winds/etc. Any constructive input is welcome. Pls don't tell me to do a search. I have.
I totally hear ya. i'm on bike # 20. my yammy 650 hummed me to death. I have 7 yrs with the CTX 700 auto under me and not turning back. set it for what ever speed and take a nap. totally recommend the auto/dual clutch. only issue i had was Honda started with a cheap chain. took me sooome time to figure out my shifting problem. the computer reads torque and RPM. the chain was micro sticking (i couldn't tell) but it was sending mixed signals to the computer. changed it out for a higher end one, permanently lubed,,,never another issue. the only other thing is air filter location...inside the fairing. so needless to say i put the best filter i can find. look at it once a year.i put on up to 15k a year on heavy years.

get one fully decked. i slapped some orange on mine. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a 2017 DCT and I mostly ride at high speeds...75-80 MPH and I have hit 103 MPH and there was absolutely no vibration. The ride was the same at 103 MPH as it was at 55 MPH and that was with all OEM equipment. Not to worry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I commute 20 miles to and from work either secondary roads or highway. There is vibration and it is rpm related. Around 2400 to near 2800 rpm is the worst but at 70 mph the engine is above that in top gear. At 50 mph is the spot at irates me.
I have updated the rear shock and have purchased Race Tech emulators for the front forks. Winter project. I have not changed the grips or anything else. My previous bike was 85 Shadow which I had from new. I moved it as getting parts new or used was getting hard to impossible.
Pierre

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 71 my legs ain't what they used to be.
At 71 not much of anything is what it used to be. I took my '15 DCT on about a 1000 mile trip last week, Over the Cascades and most of the way to Idaho, and had a fine time on it. As much back roads as I could, and a stretch of slab when I needed to. I never had a problem with enough power to pass a slow moving RV or semi. It's a viable bike for touring on a 500 pound bike with a low seat height

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies. I loved riding up at Whidbey Island and off the island. The only problem I found is that it can be warm then very cold within an hour. Don't forget the rain. It's said that there isn't many new cruisers out there between small and huge. I guess the mfgrs have moved on to the next generations with the rides they want. We had out time-now it's theirs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts