CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the CTX 700 with fairing and so far I love it. I've got the taller windscreen installed but I still feel, for longer trips, I may like just a bit more wind protection. Has anyone every used the variable windscreen extensions such as MRA X creen or the Wonderlich variable extension? I'm curious if they are worth the money and effort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got the CTX 700 with fairing and so far I love it. I've got the taller windscreen installed but I still feel, for longer trips, I may like just a bit more wind protection. Has anyone every used the variable windscreen extensions such as MRA X creen or the Wonderlich variable extension? I'm curious if they are worth the money and effort.
I think Thumper has one. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/2042-taking-ctx700d-long-ride.html

Beautiful part of the State you live in BTW...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brew! A ride down the river road is Prairie du Chien is always a fun day!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've ordered a Laminar Lip for mine. It should arrive today and I hope to get it installed tomorrow if I don't have to work all day.

I'll post some photos and results this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I am looking forward to seeing the photos and to hear your results as well
I installed the "Tall Windshield" on my DCT it Looks great but now the increase in buffeting of the wind at eye level is taking some getting used to.
I even considered putting the low profile (original) windscreen back on !
I have not had time to post very much about my new CTX ( been out riding )
whenever I have any "free time" Thanks to ~Cobraguy~ I was able to install the windshield and saddle bags in an afternoon his tips and photos were PRICELESS !!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got my bike last week and I'm loving it. I think I want the taller windscreen for it. The Laminar Lip looks interesting too but the CTX is not listed on their website. Which one do I need to order?

Thanks...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my bike last week and I'm loving it. I think I want the taller windscreen for it. The Laminar Lip looks interesting too but the CTX is not listed on their website. Which one do I need to order?

Thanks...
I would get a clamp on style like these MRA ones.
Windshield Extensions - Windshields - Ergonomics & Rider Comfort - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

Probably would need to get the universal one but the top of the tall windshield is fairly narrow so you may need a smaller one but measure it to be sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the Laminar Lip universal model for windshields over 10 inches.

CTX700 - TennesseeSmith's Photos

It helps, but not enough. I need a taller and wider windshield. I'll be going back to the shorty this weekend. I'd rather ride with my head in the 70 mph clean air than in the jackhammer air this windshield creates.

The tall, skinny Honda windshield needs to get an award for the worst accessory in Honda history.

At this point I am not able to use this bike for touring because of the crap windshield.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great...that's not the news I wanted to read. I just finished installing the tall windscreen but it is raining so I can't take it for a spin to see how it feels. I'm 5'10" so it's not sounding too promising. SIGH!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Remember folks, it's been mentioned on another thread that Madstad is getting a CTX700 screen and will most likely develop a tall screen for the fairing model. They've already designed one for the N model. If you are unfamiliar with the results of Madstad screens and are looking for a good wind solution, you might want to google what folks are saying on various forums about the effectiveness of their screens.

For instance, if you go over to the NC700X forum where there has been lots of disappointment in both the stock and tall OEM screens and owners have been struggling to find a solution, there was a poll taken ranking the after market screens by customer satisfaction. Madstad won the poll by a wide margin.

There are people that don't like the appearance of Madstad screens, but I can't find a single post or comment anywhere wherein someone bought one and was disappointed with its effectiveness.

I'm not endorsing them, because I've never owned one, but my research leads me to them. If I'm unhappy with the stock shorty screen, that's where I'll go for a screen. They're a little higher priced than some other choices but you're looking at only $50 to $75 more maximum. To me, it's worth it to pay a little more for a screen that works.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rode to work this morning with the tall windscreen...Lots of helmet buffeting starting at 50-55mph. Did the good folks at Honda even test drive this screen or was it just designed for looks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye on this particular issue as I specifically want a mid-sized bike that will offer good wind protection for commuting and light touring.

The CTX700 may eventually do that with the right aftermarket parts, but I'm staying with my NT700v, for now at least.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been curious reading about the windscreen comments. I have the 700D, fairing and short windscreen. I noticed the wind on my chest and helmet at first, but when someone on this forum pointed out to me that whether my head was being blown about significantly, I truly can say no. I've since started using earplugs and it has immensely changed my impression. It is quite steady and not quite the buffeting I once thought. The sound seemed to amplify the unnerving experience of the wind at 70+ mph speeds. I've since ordered a Vega 3.0 Summit Vcom modular helmet. I want to see if I can still use my earplugs along with the speakers to listen to music or pick up calls. Anyone else has experience with this?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Earplugs can't be an option for me as it aggravates my eustachian tube problem. I hope the noise problem is at least not as bad as it was on the Piaggio BV350, or that a good quality helmet will alleviate the noise to a tolerable level.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Took the tall windscreen off tonight and put the short one back on. Took me almost an hour to put the tall one on earlier in the week - less than 15 minutes to switch them back tonight...I think part of that was spending time looking at pictures to find the poppets and figuring out what to use to pop the centers in to get them out. Much easier the second time...:D
I'll be waiting for the Madstad!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts