CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm a new owner of a ctx700--just bought it saturday--I love it so far and am very impressed with it.

I was a little shocked when I read in the owners manual that the valve adjustment interval was at 8K mile intervals. In all the articles I read about this machine they never mentioned what kind of valves it had. I hate to admit that I didn't think to ask about this when I was looking at the bike.

I wonder how big of a job this is going to be and if it's something I can't do myself, how much of an expense it will be.

Does anyone know anything about this?
:confused: Bob

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
First call 3 dealers and ask them for a quote for the 8 thousand mile valve service cost. Tell them you did the oil filter change and only want the valves checked and adjusted.
This will give you an idea of costs.

Then ask yourself do you have a place to work? Do you own a good set of wrenches and are you familiar with using them? Have you ever used feeler gages? Do you own a torque wrench? How are you a taking things apart and putting them back together? Do you know what a timing mark is and do you plan to get the CTX 60.00 service manual? Can you set aside 5 hours for your first try so you won't feel rushed. Can you follow step by step directions out of a service manual with pictures and words?

now ask yourself is it worth doing .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had my Ctx 700 with the fairing for 1 week now. I asked about the valve adjustment before I purchased my bike. I was told between $250.00 and $300.00. Also my Honda dealer told me the chain does not need the maintenance like everyone has been talking about in the Forum. Bring it in at the 600 miles for the first service and it will be adjusted then, after that just check it for the sag. After the first adjustment it should not really need adjustments every 500 miles. Of course if its ridden on dusty and wet roads then there is more maintenance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of valve actuators the engine uses? Can't be hydraulic (which never need adjusting). Are they bucket-and-shim (expen$ive to service if you pay the dealer) or adjustable rockers?

The maintenance schedule calls for inspection, not adjustment, every 8000(?) miles. Seems like an extremely short period for bucket-and-shim arrangement. Puzzlement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I may have found an answer to my question about the type of valve actuation the engine uses. The specs say the engine uses four valves per cylinder (almost certainly in a pent-roof configuration) and a single overhead cam. Which means that there should be some kind of rocker arm arrangement that allows the cam to open valves on either side of it. Right? Ah well, I may have to bite the bullet and buy the Honda Service Manual.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pete - Thanks for the link. It sounds like adjusting the valves will be a piece of cake.
- Jim

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have had my Ctx 700 with the fairing for 1 week now. I asked about the valve adjustment before I purchased my bike. I was told between $250.00 and $300.00. Also my Honda dealer told me the chain does not need the maintenance like everyone has been talking about in the Forum. Bring it in at the 600 miles for the first service and it will be adjusted then, after that just check it for the sag. After the first adjustment it should not really need adjustments every 500 miles. Of course if its ridden on dusty and wet roads then there is more maintenance.
Adjusting and lube maintenance are two different things.
chain maintenance is 90 percent lubing, 10 percent adjusting. at 1650 miles I have yet to adjust my chain once. I have lubed it about every 300 or so miles and use the B trip odometer to log miles since last lubed. I will be adjusting it in the next 300 miles I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts