CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTX700 DCT, '13 NC700X DCT, '09 FJR1300
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came on the CTX700 I just purchased, but I prefer only two wheels. Bolts to swingarm so all three wheels move with the suspension. I unbolted it so it is ready for a new home. $1,000 firm. Tuscaloosa, Alabama. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not to that point yet, but if you could, what is the name of the manufacturer for future reference? Also, did you ride it for any amount of time with 3 wheels - what did you think? That is something I would like to do in the future. I thought it would have to be Can-Am time when the sense of balance goes, but those things are way expensive to have serviced. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
That's not one of the major units, and there are lots of local builders. This one looks like a good implementation of the outrigger concept. If it handles well, then it is a good buy for somebody who needs the additional wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The previous owner did not recall the manufacturer - thought it was "Blue . . ." something, out of Florida. The installation was by a shop in NW Georgia that is heavy into conversions from bikes to trikes. Very heavy duty, but no name plates were found.

I've been riding bikes for over 50 years so I am comfortable picking a single track for my wheels to follow, plus still enjoy leaning into the curves. With these conversions, you need to be aware that there are three wheel tracks to monitor, and that you are vertical at all times. Uneven road surfaces will rock the bike side to side, on this type rig, traditional trikes, and reverse trikes. Different strokes for different folks. While holding up my top heavy FJR1300 can be precarious at times (short legs), I feel the CTX will give me a few more years on two wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI - the original rear wheel is retained on this conversion to provide brakes and propulsion. Outrigger wheels only function to maintain the bike upright, basically like trailer wheels.

·
Registered
457 Posts
looks to me like it's a kit called "Outlaw Series Motorcycle Trike Kit" from Safer Wholesale.com
It's not homemade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks exactly like the "Outlaw Series Motorcycle Trike Kit" you referenced. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
looks to me like it's a kit called "Outlaw Series Motorcycle Trike Kit" from Safer Wholesale.com
It's not homemade.
I knew it wasn't "homemade" but as I suspected it was done by what those of us in the business (as I was for 5 years) called "2nd & 3rd tier" manufacturers. Looking over their website, I agree that the unit in question looks like one of theirs. Motorcycle outrigger units are not highly complex to design or build. A lot of them were/are "mom & pop" welding or motorcylce shops. But, if I were in the market for more than 2 wheels, on a budget and especially if I wanted to keep my CTX, I'd go for this half price cost unit myself.

But for the newbies, I already have my primo, true trike, Yelvington conversion on my CTX. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sale pending to fellow forum member, Ruby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts