CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an european ctx700 dct with a faulty ECU (ecm/pcm)
I went through ebay and bought used one from the states, picture and video of the bike that the ecu was stripped was exactly like mine. The serial ID wasnt the same but I thought 'hey they have theirs in miles instead of km' and of course it was 130$ vs 2000$ for a new here in europe.
And now the bike wont start, the fuel pump is not priming. With my old ecu i couldn't get it into D, bike was starting, Honda dealer here diagnose the problem: faulty ecm/pcm.
If i understand right, all of the US bikes doesn't have the honda ignition security system HISS right? I have just found out that the US ecu need another power line hooked up (like in this video: https://youtu.be/Cjqz-vOC-MY )
Trying to figure out on which pin on the ecu i need to add 12V (or maybe 9V as another video for different honda shows )

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
howdy from 8 or nine hours flight east of you.
my ctx doesnot have the chip in the key. hang on a bit and someone with a brain will respond to your situation.
ken

·
Registered
546 Posts
From looking at the CTX and NC forums over the past few years it is rare to find a DCT issue caused by a bad computer although there are a few where they replaced the computer and after found the problem was not the computer. Looking at the trouble shooting chapter in the manual I would think they would have gotten a DTC of 41-1 and 42-1 and confirmed its not the shift switch. I would confirm this myself unless you really trust the dealers assessment that your computer is bad. If you have the correct service manual for the European model, I would compare the inputs into the PCM of your wiring diagram in the back of the manual and compare it to the US diagram. Then trace any extra wires to see if they make sense for what your looking for. Good luck, interesting project.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=543#manual

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am glad you understand what i was trying to explain. Indeed it was the faulty computer, the dealer run 84-1 and 86-1 codes, i have tested a 2nd good dash and check the 86-1 on the service manual (page 125, 126 and top of 127) didn't get the desired voltage and its says replace the ecu.

All i need is to locate which pin on the grey plug i need to power feed. I believe i have only the US service manual, no HISS mentioned anywhere and i found some mismatching cable colors when I've went to troubleshooting wire by wire with the multimeter .

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you follow the red wire off the battery top left on the DCT system diagram attached, before it goes to the ignition switch it drops down and splits off into a BR\R wire “SUBVB A3” and a Y\R that splits into two wires ‘PVB A12” and “PVB A13” which total 3 12 V power wires entering the PCM directly off the battery through the fuse box and into the PCM. The forth wire runs through the ignition switch , fuse box, through the engine stop switch and into the PCM as a BL wire “ IGP B23”. Look down at the bottom of the page and it shows the two connectors with pin outs. Take a meter and chk for voltage at black connector A pins 12,13,3 and gray connector B pin 23 with key on and stop switch in correct position. These four appear to be the most logical to start with. If one of the pins is missing a wire, that could be it. Also check that all fusses are good before testing. I am in no way a bike mechanic so take this as an uneducated guess. You need to get your hands on the diagram for your bike to compare the US version .
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=246#manual

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We both think the same while looking at the diagram.
Before reading your post I've tried all of those 4 pins. Black connector pin A12, 13 and 3 and grey connector pin B23
My hope was for that grey connector B23 as the australian video for that 600rr and his non hiss ecu (link in my first post) tells that the european/aussie loom is missing power feed to the grey connector. I went far and checked some other wires just to be sure its the right approach, but all power feed are checked with no result :( And no, there are not empty pins in both connectors, thats 66wires. Who knows, for the ctx dct they might be no way. I have ordered a kit of the euro computer + the hiss receiver + 2chip keys and the locks for like 500$ . While waiting for it I will be keep looking for a euro service manual couldnt find any yet free online and like you said compare both diagrams.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Try contacting Hondas customer service in your country, explain your situation and see what they say. Since it appears they don’t produce the bike anymore maybe they can send you a wiring diagram vie email. You never know unless you ask. I have seen stranger things happen.
https://powersports.honda.com/contact-us

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to share what is happening. European computer with the immobilizer receiver and the keys arrived. Bike start and shift into gear but there is another problem now. Cannot successfully initialize the learning procedure for the clutch, the DDNDN kind a reset for the DCT. I will start a new thread in the technical forum, maybe someone will have a hint.
As for my initial idea of using non HISS ecu for my bike, it might as well be good thing to get from the states the hole wiring loom. Still i can't say my issue is solved and still looking for alternatives. Many wiring looms are for sale for around 100$ , installation is not scaring me, and in the end will have a immobilizer free bike. Can see much of the benefit of that extra security, only more money when duplicating the key...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts