CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many others are contemplating upgrading from another motorcycle to one of the new CTX models? I've been riding for quite a few years now, most recently on a 2006 Honda Rebel. Learned to ride on a Honda Shadow 750, so I've been back and forth on whether or not to give the new CTX a try or to get one of the newer Shadow models. I've sat on both the CTX700n and a Shadow Sprit, and while I like both, I'm leaning towards the CTX for a number of reasons, although it is a little different looking compared to what we're all used to. Anyone else planning on going from another MC to the CTX700(n)? What Pros and Cons have you come up with?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Definitely a matter of personal preference on this but here are a few things I would list in the Pros and Cons:
Pro - CTX appears that it will handle better due to its design (shorter rake & wheel base)
Pro - Newer Technology on the CTX (maybe a Con for some people)
Pro - Price is slightly better on CTX vs Base Shadow
Pro - CTX has a six speed vs five speed for Shadow
Pro - Better fuel milage on the CTX by estimated 8 mpg
Pro - CTX has 4 valves per cyl vs 3 on Shadow
Con - CTX is chain vs shaft on Shadow
Con - CTX has a taller seat (not a con for everyone)

Don't get me wrong, I really like Shadows but it is a different monster all together. If your are a VTwin lover then the choice is clear. If not?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I am planning on getting another bike, have 150 scooter right now. I originally was looking at the Shadow Aero but could never quite just get it. The manager at the local Honda shp told me that they were coming out with some new bikes so I looked the up. Initially I did not want the CTX as it was chain drive but as I have learned more about bikes I think that, for me at least, I can deal with the care and maintainence of a chain better than the care and maintainence of Chrome plating and spoke alignment. I live in an apartment, no shade or water hose. So now I leaning towards the CTX700D. I value the convienence of DCT over the mpg of manual but that is a personal thing. I know that there is little respect for riders who opt for auto trans but I don't ride to suit other peoples idea of what motorcycling is supposed to be. I live in East Texas and it is HARLEY country. As a woman I can get away with riding a scooter. They just don't get it when I say I don't want a Harley or loud pipes.
In the end you have to decide what you want in a bike and all bikes are a compromise from your wish list. What are the most important features you want? Why do you ride? Don't let others try to tell you that you aren't a real rider or less of a person if you choose something not like all the others. You have to love what you ride.
Find the right bike for YOU, fall in love with it, and ride.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'll be upgrading from a Piaggio BV350 Scooter. I definitely learned with the scooter that I really like commuting on power two wheelers in all four seasons, though limited in the winter. I've had the scooter almost a year, and it's my first ride. It's great but not liking the CVT. Don't know enough about these different animals to know what I really would like best if I could ride all different styles for weeks at a time and then pick. What I do know is that I'm not getting younger, and the CTX just feels right, is priced right, and just seems like it will make a lot of sense for a practical, fun, comfortable, economical, long commute for a long-term relationship. I could be wrong, but I hope not!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't think your wrong at all Greg! I think Honda has put a lot of thought into this design. The NT700x got pretty good reviews for rideability. It's the same motor and drive train, so the CTX should be a winner too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts